Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2015 06:35:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well almost a year to the day** and after the better part of a week with no internet (or power/phone) I went trolling eBay after dinner last night and stumbled across the Trix 66115 & 66117 Dammtor kits. I believe they had only been listed for around 7 hours and there were 6 people watching the listing so it took me all of 2 minutes to decide to push the "buy-it-now" button. Sorry if any of you guys were watching or thinking about it but at that price there was no way I was passing it up or risk waiting on the off chance the price would drop.

**As the little woman had given me approval last year to buy them I had a clean conscience and didn't bother to ask if it was OK. Although I'm quite sure she was of the opinion I would never find them again for under AU$700...... the max agreed to at the time. Frankly as much as I wanted them I would not have paid any more including P&H.

So its a bit early and until we sell up and move nothing will be happening BUT.......... in about 12 months I'll be back with my odyssey (or nervous breakdown) in building this 9kg lump of plastic bits and pieces into the most impressive station available to us model railroad addicts.

LOL, then there is the 2 Kibri Bonn kits to be made into a FrankenBonn.

Off on a bit of a tangent....... I have had the search/email alerts for both items and the combination in eBay for over a year and until now always received them but did not get one for this listing. It was shear luck I found it at all, so don't rely on the email alerts for those items you really want. I have to wonder what else I have missed out on over the years.

Since the link will die over time........

Edited by user 29 April 2015 04:44:24(UTC)  | Reason: More info

Shamu attached the following image(s):
Dammtor_ebay.jpg
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline NZMarklinist  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2015 09:27:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Well done Shane, Woot ThumpUp

You got the Kits at a good price there. I'm sure I paid a lot more from ETS Blushing Laugh

Great we've got the master Instructions in the forum thanks to Matt ThumpUp

Hope they come from a flood free home Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2015 10:10:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Not wrong Glen, got them for what I've been seeing them go for in Euro's so once I got over the disbelief it was the price in Aussie dollars I couldn't hit the buy button quick enough. At todays exchange rate it works out to €400.

In fact I had sent a query about postage but as soon as I had another person had "watched" the listing so I decided then and there not to wait and just went for it. I doubt I'll be up for more than $50 for postage/freight so I'm more than happy with $600 all up. A good $200 cheaper than what I could get them for from Europe, when there are any in a set.

Besides I figure I will never see another set available in Oz and certainly not at that price, the little woman has already suggested I put them away for 10 years and see what there worth........ not a chance in hell of that happening LOL.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2015 12:44:44(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Absolutely fantastic! You will smile with great satisfaction and scream in frustration. There are many challenges, but if you persevere, you will have a layout centerpiece second to none. The scale and detail of this Edwardian building impresses everyone who sees it.

One hell of a deal too, congrats Shane.

I am just waiting for a nice day to paint and some magnets from China and I will finish mine.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2015 15:08:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Magnets Matt, what are they for ?

I don't suppose you'd like to make two more of every bit of extra hardware you put into the station by any chance Wink BigGrin

I am going to have my Dammtor on a Modular set up, which, following our Modular SIG specs, I envisage will be 4 x 1220mm long, with one of them at least as long as the Station itself, so there will also be a short special as well. I am intending to depict them as they are/were in era V, I do have some Noch Steel Bridge Kits for the East end but not enough of them, and I'm not sure they're available anymore so might have to rethink that one, but I am not that keen on the new Concrete Ones as a model Bored I also have the Faller 170487 Steel Bridge Kits which are intended for the other road underpass just to the west.
I also have the Faller 120193 ICE Platforms which I will place at the "west end" between the main lines. I will be keeping it all straight though without the lovely curve in the prototype lines Blink
Not that I am going to create a special S Bahn, Bahn, Wink but I will have the Two Northern lines sans Catenary as they are, but will probably interconnect all the lines away from the station area.
With the Modules at 610mm wide, there won't be much room for street level detail, but the modules have the rail deck at 1M off the floor so detail fit and finish will be important as well as interior details of the station. So I have a lot of Kit building and modelling there ahead sometime in the not too distant future RollEyes

I certainly hope I won't take ten years to build mine but my layout, at least to an operational stage, will come first Scared Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Shamu  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2015 05:31:30(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well, just got the bill..... a extra $60 for postage/freight which is pretty much what I expected so I'm still a happy camper @ $610. ThumpUp Woot

The most recent ones in a pair that I could find went for between 500 and 600 Euro's plus postage (not that any would post out of the EU) so I did well IMHO.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2015 09:35:20(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Whoo hoo, yippie and all that jazz..........

27/04/2015 14:32:11 Canberra
Your parcel is currently in transit between our 'Canberra' and 'Newcastle' depots.

Fingers crossed and with a bit of luck will be here sometime around 11am....... feel like I'm 10 and tomorrow is Xmas.Drool Laugh Woot

More excited about this than I was waiting for the S2/6.
Almost as good as winning Lotto.
I'm not going to sleep tonight. LOL
Offline rorosha  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2015 17:06:24(UTC)
rorosha

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Whoo hoo, yippie and all that jazz..........

27/04/2015 14:32:11 Canberra
Your parcel is currently in transit between our 'Canberra' and 'Newcastle' depots.

Fingers crossed and with a bit of luck will be here sometime around 11am....... feel like I'm 10 and tomorrow is Xmas.Drool Laugh Woot

More excited about this than I was waiting for the S2/6.
Almost as good as winning Lotto.
I'm not going to sleep tonight. LOL

Tough choice, ten year old on christmas, or winning the lottery. How about a ten year old on christmas winning the lottery!

It is an absolutely beautiful station, when built properly. But in my case, I would never be able to find the room to do it justice.
Offline Dreadnought  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2015 20:19:26(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Shamu,

"More excited about this than I was waiting for the S2/6"

Really!! How fickle!! How could such beauty fade so quickly from the beholder's eye?

I shall go home and console my S2/6 that she will never be replaced in my affections by a mere building, even one so beautiful as this. Truth be known my train room is far too small to accommodate that superb model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Tom Jessop  
#10 Posted : 28 April 2015 04:25:02(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Psttttttt I heard that the parcel delivery company is going to be heldup by some Bushrangers led by yours truly when they drive thru Chinaman's hollow . Gee whizzz I was doing some ebaying the last couple of weeks & didn't see that pop up on the AU site although I have been more interested in looking for some track components than buildings , Good find Shane .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Shamu  
#11 Posted : 28 April 2015 05:21:41(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
It was a fluke Tom.BigGrin

Was listed at around 12:30 on Anzac day and I stumbled across it just after dinner at 7:25 (with 6 people watching)........ hit the "buy-it-now" button at 7:30 (with 7 people watching, not including me) so 7 hours from start to finish less the hour they seem to take to show up in the listings. Don't even recall what I was searching for when I found it Confused.

What really annoyed me was I have the 3 search/email alerts for worldwide "Trix Dammtor 66115 + 66117 + 66115 & 66117" as well as set from ebay de and didn't get a email about them. Although in all fairness I only get 1 every couple of months due to very few willing to post to Oz from the EU. But I would have thought with it being in Oz and me being in Oz I would have got a email.......... unless they only send them out at a set time which can make them pretty useless if its something rare and sought after.Cursing

Anyway it all worked out for me, just waiting on Dave to show up with it. He goes past at 10:30 and 12:30 so it looks like being tomorrow........ another sleepless night.
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 28 April 2015 14:04:37(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
...so it looks like being tomorrow........ another sleepless night.

Looks like Tom managed an intercept. LOL

Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Tom Jessop  
#13 Posted : 28 April 2015 14:25:13(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I have just been undoing all the packaging & pulled out the base plates of the buildings to find they wont fit in the position I was hoping to build the Bahnhoff . Now what should I do , chuck the lot in the bin , get another base board in position & rebuild the terminal station or wrap it back up & mark it return to sender ? Decisions to be made urgently , all advice gratefully accepted .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 28 April 2015 19:56:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well, i guess the possibility of getting the Faller bridge sections that match dammtor Station are now zero ... Angry

According to me the following items are the ones that go with it ...

Faller 120486 Raised trackbed with arcades
Faller 120569 as 120486 but with businesses in the arcades
Faller 120119 Bridge with kiosks for raised trackbed (since been in Classic range as 194119). (Faller lists it as 'out of stock at factory).
Faller 120551 Raised S-Bahn Station (since been in Classic range as 194551). (Faller lists it as 'out of stock at factory).

The last one looked like being the only way to get the brickfaced raised trackbed pieces, since Faller seemed to stop producing all the items around the time Trix introduced the Dammtor HO kit - typicalConfused

Offline Shamu  
#15 Posted : 29 April 2015 04:42:29(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Sorry Tom, not quick enough. It came in a hertz truck due to the local courier mob losing half their fleet in the floods

Yes Alan, its going to be a treasure hunt. The 120487/551 bridges seam to be readily available however its a different story for the arcades, I spent nearly all day yesterday trolling ebay AU & DE but yet to check out UK.

Well the "crate" arrived about half a hour ago Woot ThumpUp , its bloody HUGE. Have to figure out where to store it before I go ripping the packing box to bits. Got the look of death from the boss when she saw the size of it Scared , can't win, if it was small she'd whinge about the cost.

Will post other pic's once its out.

Edited by user 29 April 2015 12:10:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dammtor_its_here.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2015 08:17:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The May 2015 edition of MIBA magazine has a feature article about the Hamburg Dammtor station.......but you'll need to be able to read German to understand it.
File Attachment(s):
MIBA052015-Hamburg.pdf (4,381kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 29 April 2015 08:30:13(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks David ThumpUp,

I'm a tad rusty with my Deutsch but will give me something to decipher over time.

If I do make sense of it I'll repost a (poor) translation. Blushing
Offline Shamu  
#18 Posted : 02 May 2015 10:08:48(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The May 2015 edition of MIBA magazine has a feature article about the Hamburg Dammtor station.......but you'll need to be able to read German to understand it.

Well as promised here is my (very bad and "crappy") translation of the MIBA article. I'm pretty sure I made it editable so anyone with a far better grasp of German than me (hint Tom) feel free to fix my numerous boo-boo's. Blushing

Still haven't unboxed the kits but may do so tomorrow.
File Attachment(s):
Dammtor - Operation in the 1950s 2nd copy.pdf (5,443kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#19 Posted : 02 May 2015 12:53:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
"The paint on the pre-series V200 shines as if rubbed with bacon rind". Blink

I'm sure you nailed the translation Shane, but I never gave much thought to polishing my car with bacon rind. Must be a central europe thing.
Matt
Era 3
Offline NZMarklinist  
#20 Posted : 02 May 2015 14:32:08(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, i guess the possibility of getting the Faller bridge sections that match dammtor Station are now zero ... Angry

According to me the following items are the ones that go with it ...

Faller 120486 Raised trackbed with arcades
Faller 120569 as 120486 but with businesses in the arcades
Faller 120119 Bridge with kiosks for raised trackbed (since been in Classic range as 194119). (Faller lists it as 'out of stock at factory).
Faller 120551 Raised S-Bahn Station (since been in Classic range as 194551). (Faller lists it as 'out of stock at factory).

The last one looked like being the only way to get the brickfaced raised trackbed pieces, since Faller seemed to stop producing all the items around the time Trix introduced the Dammtor HO kit - typicalConfused

Hi all,

Allan, you missed the Faller 120487 Steel Bridges which are still available and in stock at Loksop Wink
However none of those are exactly true to the Protoype, but do the job for a model.!

At the place concerned, the Eastern End on the South corner !.the arcade area is open to interpretation !
I will compile some pics of models I've seen and also the prototype where the arcades are concerned, which look as tho they were added after the original was built. Huh

Also, because the road goes under the bridges on an angle, there are no arcades on the North side , and to give you further options, if your modelling Dammtor in era VI, the old steel Bridges were replaced in 2012 with Concrete. You will see those in my pics but, please give me a day or two to compile them, reduce them, and post Blink
Interestingly, the most unrealistic installation I have seen of Dammtor was at MiWuLa RollEyes

The photo that heads up the article, David found, and Shane translated, is looking from the Eastern end, North to the right and South to the left !
It is quite old, possibly 50's or 60's Unsure
You will notice the bridges are in two track in the middle and single track either side ! Requires a bit of kit bashing of those Faller 120487 Bridges since they are two track RollEyes

The article looks as tho the writer was having a bit Roco promo ! but the various model scenes look enticing, and as I have most of them as Marklin Models, even a Blue 03 37916, and the 43290 Merkur Set, but I could add an extra Blue First Class Car, or do it with the 43929 Hans Sachs Set. Also V200s and Vt08's and today the various ICE's all pass thru the Station.
So the model is quite versatile, and fits a lot of the era continueum Wink ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Shamu  
#21 Posted : 02 May 2015 14:41:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Glen,

Since all of my rolling stock and loco are Era II/III I'll be going for as close to a pre mid 50's look as possible.

The 487 bridges will work fine for me although as near as I can tell I need the twin track bridge for the centre 2 tracks but single ones for the outer 2 lines....... looks like a bit of kit bashing needed unless I can find matching single track bridges.

Also the 120181 platform will work nicely to extend them to around 1600mm for 6 coach consists. At least at this stage they are in plentiful supply.

The arcades are going to be the biggest problem, at least I have a good 6 months to a year up my sleeve until construction starts...... then the time to build the layout around it.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#22 Posted : 02 May 2015 15:09:16(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Glen,

Since all of my rolling stock and loco are Era II/III I'll be going for as close to a pre mid 50's look as possible.

The 487 bridges will work fine for me although as near as I can tell I need the twin track bridge for the centre 2 tracks but single ones for the outer 2 lines....... looks like a bit of kit bashing needed unless I can find matching single track bridges.

Also the 120181 platform will work nicely to extend them to around 1600mm for 6 coach consists. At least at this stage they are in plentiful supply.

The arcades are going to be the biggest problem, at least I have a good 6 months to a year up my sleeve until construction starts...... then the time to build the layout around it.

Hi Shane,

If you have a look at the article linked at the start of the thread by Matt, that showed the Faller arcades painted to match the station which I guess the guy, like Matt has repainted, I have a pic of friend Norm's one in Sydney to put in the compilation, He used some from out of a catalogue somewhere, only two arches but look ok !
Of course getting another Kit and cutting bits out of it would be the ideal Scared Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline biedmatt  
#23 Posted : 02 May 2015 17:31:04(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Brawa also has some arcades, #2880, 81 and 82.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#24 Posted : 03 May 2015 03:43:04(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Brawa also has some arcades, #2880, 81 and 82.

Very good Matt, the Brawa 2881 look like the closest match to the prototype ThumpUp

Whilst the dimensions may be slightly out a bit of Kit bashing could make them fit nicely Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline Shamu  
#25 Posted : 03 May 2015 03:59:39(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Excellent find, the Brawa ones could solve the problem.ThumpUp

I want to know who makes the ones in the last photo in the article, I can't find them anywhere. Confused
Arcades in Question.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#26 Posted : 03 May 2015 12:13:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Shane, those are the first floor of the Trix kit. Glen is already on it. I have 8 from my second kit, Glen would like three.

BTW, I have not seen this build before. I like the grey doors and windows. Any more pics of this build floating around?
Matt
Era 3
Offline Alsterstreek  
#27 Posted : 03 May 2015 13:06:59(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
"The paint on the pre-series V200 shines as if rubbed with bacon rind". Blink

I'm sure you nailed the translation Shane, but I never gave much thought to polishing my car with bacon rind. Must be a central europe thing.

Well, as hard as it is to believe, but that is what the German original text says. I heard that as a maintenance tip for maintaining German style solid black hot plates...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#28 Posted : 03 May 2015 13:39:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Any more pics of this build floating around?

Do you mean the prototype or the "replica" on the photo?

Offline biedmatt  
#29 Posted : 03 May 2015 14:29:43(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Any more pics of this build floating around?

Do you mean the prototype or the "replica" on the photo?

Hi Ak, The replica. I'd like to see what else they did with their build.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Alsterstreek  
#30 Posted : 03 May 2015 14:50:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Found only a "closed" arches HO version.

Source: http://www.michael-robert-gauss.de/Seite1.htm

(Scroll down to the end of the first quarter of the webpage to find more Dammtor diorama pix.)
Alsterstreek attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#31 Posted : 03 May 2015 15:05:11(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And this one (closed arches again): http://www.beuret.net/fama-2005-bulle/
image.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#32 Posted : 03 May 2015 15:11:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And here another one: http://www.arstecnica.de...php/de/modellbahnanlagen (Scroll down to penultimate layout)
image.jpg
Offline Shamu  
#33 Posted : 04 May 2015 01:50:07(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Shane, those are the first floor of the Trix kit. Glen is already on it. I have 8 from my second kit, Glen would like three.

BTW, I have not seen this build before. I like the grey doors and windows. Any more pics of this build floating around?

Hi Matt,

Well that explains it then...... bit rich for me using a donor kit to get a few arched arcades. Not sure what I'm going to end up using now that I've seen the perfect match. Sure can't justify another kit, even just a 117 extension would leave way too much waste/leftover as well as cost way too much.

In fact if I did get another 117 I'd be far more inclined to use it to extend the station further.

As to other photos of that version of the station I assume that all the model photo's in the article are of the same one.

If you download the original article David provided you can copy the images in the .pdf and save them...... most are a far larger size than displayed.