Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainstamp  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2015 20:01:15(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   
I need help with installing the subject smoke unit. I've not been able to find much in the way of helpful information to do this on the net. I would like to do this using the Marklin mini relay but I first need a tutorial from someone that has already done this, like how it is wired to the decoder and what locations on the decoder board to use. This kind of help will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps Gordon from Northern California would respond or anyone else? Thank you so I don't burn out the ESU decoder. I am using Digitrax DCC and the smoke unit is a #20.
Richard in Vermont
Offline 3rail4life  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2015 21:50:25(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Richard,

I would be happy to assist you but unfortunately the Trix Mikado I added the seuthe #20 smoke unit to is no longer in the shop and since I did not add a smoke function to the decoder, I am not much help. In hindsight, I wish I would have done something like what you are describing as that seems like a better solution. But without having the loco here, I am not able to give any specific advice on function mapping the decoder or the location of any solder points for connections.

The UP Mikado is on our wish listLove.

Cheers,
Gordon

Offline trainstamp  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2015 00:08:30(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   

Gordon,
Nice to hear from you. I seem to be gaining little by little with my Trix 2-8-2 but it's almost like flying blind because I'm not finding the info I need very easily. So today I decided to just take a chance and install the #20 smoke generator to see what happens. I removed the belly screw, removed the boiler shell and stuck it in the chimney then put it back together again. I had an old bottle of Bachmann smoke fluid laying around so instead of using the Trix fluid I used the Bachmann fluid (another experiment). Low and behold it smoked beautifully. Tonight I'm going to give it a better run on my friends layout. I consider that to be a stroke of luck in view of not having much info to go on. The one thing that I want to find out now is how to be able to turn the smoke on and off and to do that without running the smoke unit itself thru the decoder I will need to find out how to wire the mini relay to the decoder and then find out what CV's to use for the on-off function.
All th best,
Richard in Vermont
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by trainstamp
Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2015 00:53:08(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have a Marklin 39390 which is similar to yours. The factory decoder is set up for a on/off feature but it depends on what type of digital system you use, The following buttons can apply F1, Function 1, Function 7, Function F1. Good luck! Fred
Offline trainstamp  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2015 05:27:55(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   
Hello Fred,
I have a Digitrax radio system. I'm glad to know that the decoder which I believe is the 3.5 model has the smoke on/off feature but how to set it up is my problem. I'm just not any good with European stuff. My first question is about the power to the smoke unit, is it coming from the decoder or directly form the track?
Richard in Vermont
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2015 06:05:52(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: trainstamp Go to Quoted Post
Hello Fred,
I have a Digitrax radio system. I'm glad to know that the decoder which I believe is the 3.5 model has the smoke on/off feature but how to set it up is my problem. I'm just not any good with European stuff. My first question is about the power to the smoke unit, is it coming from the decoder or directly form the track?
Richard in Vermont

Good morning here from Sweden!
This Trix mikado do have direct current to the smoke.
There is an copper plate which smoke generator do have contact with.
Copper plate do have direct contact from the rail.
I suggest you try to connect one wire from the decoder to the copper plate to control smoke generator as digital function.
Make sure copper plate don´t have contact with the rail!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2015 08:16:57(UTC)
H0

Hi all!

One disadvantage of discussing one problem in two (or more) threads is that some folks will remember the earlier thread while others will not.

This thread is about Trix 22802, a US Mikado where the smoke generator is not controlled by the decoder.
Märklin 39390 is a DB Mikado where the smoke generator is controlled by the decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline trainstamp  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2015 19:33:51(UTC)
trainstamp

United States   
HO,
Looks like I will have to join another group to get some help with this. No one is coming forth.
Richard in Vermont
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 22 April 2015 12:17:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: trainstamp Go to Quoted Post
Looks like I will have to join another group to get some help with this. No one is coming forth.
You need someone who has such a Trix Mikado and who has modified the internal wiring of the loco.
People with a Märklin Mikado probably cannot help as the Märklin loco has controllable smoke generator contact - same mould, same company, different brand name, different loco board, different decoders (Märklin customers did not get an ESU LokSound with their Mikados).

In a two-rail group it could be easier to find someone who can help you.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage