Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2015 17:04:09(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi guys,

I'm about to start laying my track (M track). I have an old 7186 turntable. For my digital operation I'm using ECOS II.

Is there anyway I can either A) Convert the 7186 to digital operation, or B) Buy an "add on" item (like the 7686), so I can hook it up to my ECOS?

I have scoured the forum and the Internet, but haven't really found a viable solution.

The only other option would be to get the 7286 with a 7686 unit. However, that is both costly, and complicated, as I'd need to use adapter pieces for every connection to my turntable. With my current track plan, most connections to the turntable are via a turnout, which obviously wouldn't be possible if I need to use adapter tracks at every connection.

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rene...
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2015 06:59:20(UTC)
Goofy

Hello Rene!
The answer is no for 7186 to use with Ecos.
It´s only for analog.
To use 7286 is not complicated to use it with digital control.
I suggest you try an turntable decoder from Ldt.
Search at google by write turntable decoder Ldt and you will find better answer.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Cargodog  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2015 08:00:57(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Hello Rene!
The answer is no for 7186 to use with Ecos.
It´s only for analog.
To use 7286 is not complicated to use it with digital control.
I suggest you try an turntable decoder from Ldt.
Search at google by write turntable decoder Ldt and you will find better answer.

Hey Goofy,

Thanks for the reply, although it's obviously not what I wanted to hear.

I didn't mean the 7286 is difficult to use with digital. I meant it complicates things, as I need to completely redesign everything in the yard around the 7286.

It'll also be a lot more expensive. Obviously I need to buy the 7286, a decoder, and either adapter tracks, or completely new k track.

I'll have a look at that ltd decoder. Is that what you use? Is there another turntable from another manufacturer that will work with M track and digital operation?
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2015 09:45:24(UTC)
Goofy

Hello Rene!
I did used Märklin turntable 7286 once and controlled it as analog,while the bridge was connect with the digital system.
There is one factory who also produce turntables and you can choise it with three rail too.
It´s Hapo in Germany.
But it works only for the K-tracks.
If you shall use M-tracks,i suggest an K-track nr:2291 to connect to the M-tracks.
Hapos turntables can also use with the digital system,by digital decoder from Hapo too.
H0
Offline hwestl  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2015 10:29:44(UTC)
hwestl

Sweden   
Hi Rene

Back in the early 90'th I used a K84 connected to the 7186 to control i digitally.

If I now remember correctly, the 7186 uses DC for selecting the rotation, and I used two connectios for selecting the rotation, and one connection for start/stop the rotation.
So if you connect DC+ to input 1-green and DC- to input 1-red, DC- to input 2-green and DC+ to input 2-red, and by pressing 1-green and 2-green you would get output 1 = DC+ and output 2 = DC-
Also if I remember correctly the 7186 uses ordinary Märklin-AC for controlling the magnet. So having this power on input 3-red, you can by pressing 3-red activate the magnet that starts the rotation, and the 3-green to disactivate the magnet that stops the rotation at the next track.
This is, as I said, just out of my memory, so I can be wrong. Maybe the K84 doesn't have green or red inputs, then it's left and right instead.

If you want, I can try to see if I have any documentation left. I used a selfmade program to control the layout, and I think that I in that program wrote some tips how to connect everything digitally that I used...
I can't test it myself today, becasue after an remark of "loud noice" from a friend, I switched to Fleichmann AC version instead (same as Märklin uses today).

Regards
Håkan

Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2015 17:19:00(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not sure,but doesn´t k84 decoder become overload by use 7186?
Motor in the turntable 7186 do take much of the power under turn of the bridge.
H0
Offline rorosha  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2015 19:21:43(UTC)
rorosha

Have you done a google search, "marklin 7186 digital"?

A quick look turned up several sites which in one way or another discuss it. They may not be in english, but google translate should make them understandable.

One site that I found that looks helpful is "http://www.sporskiftet.dk/wiki/marklin-cs2-digitalstyret-drejeskive-marklin-7186-k84-7286-7686". It is in Danish, but google translate makes short work of it.

Many moons ago, at the advent of Märklin Digital, this was a common topic, and I do believe it was even covered in some Märklin publications. There should be plenty of information about it on the internet.
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2015 16:17:41(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

I'm about to start laying my track (M track). I have an old 7186 turntable. For my digital operation I'm using ECOS II.

Is there anyway I can either A) Convert the 7186 to digital operation, or B) Buy an "add on" item (like the 7686), so I can hook it up to my ECOS?

I have scoured the forum and the Internet, but haven't really found a viable solution.

The only other option would be to get the 7286 with a 7686 unit. However, that is both costly, and complicated, as I'd need to use adapter pieces for every connection to my turntable. With my current track plan, most connections to the turntable are via a turnout, which obviously wouldn't be possible if I need to use adapter tracks at every connection.

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rene...

Hello Rene.

My layout is also M track and my turntable is 7186 too.

I´m using MS2 for my digital operation but my 7186 is controlled analogically by its own blue desk and by connecting it to an old blue Märklin trafo...The trafo works fine and it´s easy and cheap to find at Ebay.

Cheers
Carlos

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2015 12:26:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Carlos,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2015 21:53:52(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Hi Steven
Thanks a lot.

Cheers
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com