Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BwanaJoe  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2015 01:57:54(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
I was looking around today and noticed Brawa has a S2/6 in Märklin spec that looks just like the one from Märklin. Are they the same loco? Is this like Preiser figures popping up under different manufacturers?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2015 08:14:27(UTC)
H0

While we neither know which company made the Brawa S 2/6 nor the Märklin S 2/6, I still believe they come from different moulds.

But I have seen "Märklin" freight cars and "Roco" freight cars coming from the same moulds.
But I have seen "Märklin" dining cars and "Roco" dining cars coming from the same moulds.
I have seen "Märklin" locos from Fleischmann moulds.
So sometimes there are undisclosed "co-operations", but I don't think the S 2/& is such a case.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2015 08:44:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If they are both made to a high level of detail and performance I guess there's not going to be very much difference between them.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2015 13:04:08(UTC)
Goofy

Brawa do have more details with the S 2/6,but it´s also more expensive than Märklins.
Depends what you feel for and yours wally thickness... BigGrin
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline BwanaJoe  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2015 13:38:35(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
While we neither know which company made the Brawa S 2/6 nor the Märklin S 2/6, I still believe they come from different moulds.

But I have seen "Märklin" freight cars and "Roco" freight cars coming from the same moulds.
But I have seen "Märklin" dining cars and "Roco" dining cars coming from the same moulds.
I have seen "Märklin" locos from Fleischmann moulds.
So sometimes there are undisclosed "co-operations", but I don't think the S 2/& is such a case.

I may have to be less Märklin centric now. The only thing I've done in the past is get Trix wagons because of the different road numbers. But if they are "cooperating" with other companies it is going to come down to price! I just wish there was a hobby store close by that carried Euro trains so I could eyeball them in person.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BwanaJoe
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2015 20:57:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
What is the Brawa S2/6 on min radius curved track? 360mm?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline BwanaJoe  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:13:50(UTC)
BwanaJoe

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Brawa do have more details with the S 2/6,but it´s also more expensive than Märklins.

This brings up a good point, how are Brawa products?
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2015 14:25:56(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: BwanaJoe Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

This brings up a good point, how are Brawa products?

Very good!
Small details are sensible.
Service with the factory Brawa are good.
If you need for exemple new spare details,just write mail to Brawa and they send to you.
To do service byself are easy,just like Märklins.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2015 14:27:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
What is the Brawa S2/6 on min radius curved track? 360mm?

It can been done,but not with high speed.
They recommend 420 mm.

H0
Offline Dangermouse  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2015 14:37:40(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Brawa are beautiful but a lot finer than Marklin. Details which M would make slightly chunkier (to cope with handling) will be closer to scale size on Brawa.

I have a couple of Brawa K.W.St.E box vans which are gorgeous, but look very fragile. Keep the handling to a minimum and they'll be fine.

As for possible shared tooling, surely two models of the same prototype should look almost identical? The only differences will come if one manufacturer makes compromises to allow running on sharper-than-scale curves (hence why we had 1:100 length coaches for so long, and the articulated chassis steamers). You'll also hit problems with wheel flanges on some prototypes - some of them have only a couple of centimetres between the flanges on coupled wheels, scale down and use the necessarily over-scale flanges of HO and you have a problem. Either you have to extend the wheelbase (which will throw the whole "look" out), fit slightly smaller wheels, or use flangeless wheels if you can.

This is probably why some older Marklin steamers had either smaller wheels or no flanges on the centre wheels of a six-coupled chassis. It doesn't really show unless you look closely and the model runs slightly better as it can't end up rocking on the centre wheelset on sudden changes in gradient.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dangermouse
Offline Jay  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2015 19:08:55(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
If you need for exemple new spare details,just write mail to Brawa and they send to you.
To do service byself are easy,just like Märklins.

Hi all
Now that is just what I do not like.I want to run my loks and my daughter and my son and my friends to also handle and
run them.Therefor my older loks and rolling stock from the analog era are paint worn but otherwise are structurally intact.
The finely detailed models are great for the vitrine,I do not wish to order detailing replacement parts only to do so again and again as I run the loksCursing .This is the reason I buy the older stuff,indestructible!!!Love
I have looked at the ESU loks and must say that I am impressed but they do come highly priced Crying.

Best wishes
Jay
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2015 23:54:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The eternal struggle between scale models on the one hand and tough toys on the other.

Older Marklin models are more like toys to be played with. Newer Marklin and Brawa are closer to scale models and therefore more fragile.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 18 April 2015 05:56:17(UTC)
Goofy

Ray has right.
When i was younger,Märklin trains was more toys and playing with the top speed.
Today we are more handle with the care of the Märklins trains and do scale drive speed.
H0