Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mort1980  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2015 20:25:55(UTC)
mort1980

Hi!

I bought the locomotive Re 460 from 29463 set 1 week ago (new) , and since yesterday I have a problem with it. I use the mobile station 60652 for it. And since yesterday, the locomotive does not move (the other functions work fine). Can it be because the mobile station is too old for the model? I have another 3 Maerklin loks, and the newest is 29483, and all work fine.
Did someone have the same problem with his lok?

Thank you for help.
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2015 20:35:52(UTC)
Webmaster

Did it work before yesterday? Or hasn't it worked at all since you got it?

Sorry for this basic question, but as many details provided as possible will help towards a hopefully good explanatory answer to the question from the experts onboard...

From the initial description, it sounds like it could be a decoder, a mechanical motor glitch or a loco internal wiring problem.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline mort1980  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2015 20:43:08(UTC)
mort1980

Hi!

It worked until yesterday, but it had a little problem with acceleration (I have also the model 37460, which is another Re 460, and its acceleration is OK when the loks start). And since I bought the new lok, it has some problems with commands of the lights. The lok has 10 functions, and the mobile staation 60652 accepts only 8.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2015 03:37:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If I understand correctly, all functions (lights on/off, sound on/off, horn, etc) work, but the locomotive will not move.
Is this correct?
What does the lighting do when you reverse direction on the controller? Does it reverse?

The first thing that I would do is to remove the shell and inspect the inside to verify that the wires from the decoder to the motor block are intact.
It may be that there is a loose connection somewhere.
You state that you have the 37640. That is an older model with a different decoder and sound module.

Do you have an older transformer (analog) that you can test it with?

I also don't understand what problems you are having with the lights. Is it only that you cannot access the last two functions?

The lok should be detected by the 60652 as mfx Re 460 076-3. If you create a new register for a Motorola (MM) lok using address 46, you can see if the lok responds to all commands using the old protocol.
Your 37460 also came from the factory with preset address 46.

To manually add that address:
1. Press the Menu/ESC button .
2. Turn the speed control knob until “NEW LOC” appears in the display.
3. Press on the speed control knob.
4. Turn the speed control knob until “ADDRESS” appears in the display.
5. Press on the speed control knob.
6. Turn the speed control knob until the address for the loco- motive appears in the display.
7. Press on the speed control knob.
8. Turn the speed control knob until the desired symbol appears in the display.
9. Press the Locomotive/OK button. The display will change back on its own to the operating level.

If you have the 29463 in memory as a mfx lok and the 37460 as a MM lok, I wonder if there might not be some confusion if it recognizes one format faster than the other?

In any case, start by checking the wiring between decoder board and motor. You should be able to compare with the 37460 to see where each wire leads to.
Do not apply power directly to the motor as this can damage the decoder.

Regards

Mike C

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2015 07:55:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mort1980 Go to Quoted Post
Did someone have the same problem with his lok?
I had the same problem with another M* loco. Does that count?

In my case, problem was with the motor brushes: If one of them doesn't make contact then the motor won't move. They squeezed several cables in under the brush springs and the springs didn't produce enough pressure. I loosened things up and got loco working after second or third try.

Note: you should not turn the loco wheels while brushes are under pressure. Release the springs, turn the wheels a bit (turn the wheels with the cog wheels only), re-apply brush springs. If loco moves now then most likely you have a problem with the brushes.

Could also be a fried decoder. Or a decoder not pushed in properly. Or something else.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mort1980  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2015 09:43:02(UTC)
mort1980

The lights work fine when I do reverse. Today, I deleted the lok from the mobile station and added it again, and 2 times the motor started, but now it does not. I forgot to specifiy that 2 days before this problem, the mobile station was reset (all the locks deleted and language set to german) without doing anything. The lok is new, so I don't think there is a problem with brushes. And this automactically reset makes me think that it can be a problem with communication between mobile station and decoder (before buying the lok, the mobile station never reset automatically). Anyway, next days a friend will borrow me his mobile station (he has a 60653) to test the lok. For now, I just want to know if somebody had the same problem with a new lok (model 2013 or newer) and controlled with an old mobile station.

Thanks!
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2015 09:55:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mort1980 Go to Quoted Post
The lok is new, so I don't think there is a problem with brushes.
I had this problem with two new Märklin locos from starter sets. Saw another loco with that problem at the last club meeting.

New locos should not have this problem. Customers should not be the quality check stage of the manufacturers.
Things are not always as they should be.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mort1980  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2015 10:36:06(UTC)
mort1980

HO, I checked and you're right. I saw the cables. Could you tell me the best way to solve this issue?

Thank you very much.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2015 11:52:23(UTC)
H0

Loosen things up a bit to prevent a lock on the springs.
Bend the capacitor a tiny bit away from the motor and make sure the cables have play. Leave the cables were they are.

Also check the brushes have play and are not stuck in the brush holder.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mort1980  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2015 20:37:09(UTC)
mort1980

Thanks!