Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chrisisrang  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2015 07:32:54(UTC)
chrisisrang

Hi!

I hope I am not inadvertently starting a topic of discussion which has been beaten to death in the past. I have contemplating a Marklin CS2 for a while and just when I was about to take the plunge, I got excited about the ESU ECoS Command Station. It seems that the ECoS is a much more superior control station but wanted to get some opinion if I should go ahead with CS2 or instead go for ECoS. I am running 3-Rail Marklin with several HAG locos fitted with LokSound V4 M4 (mfx) decoders. I am also investing in a small BEMO layout as well....

Your thoughts / suggestions/ opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2015 07:56:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I think this was discussed a few times.
Try both to find out which one suits you better. Well, this could be difficult in Hong Kong. Friends, MRR clubs, other forum members maybe?

I prefer the ECoS. The CS2 is rather slow at some frequently used functions.

Only the CS2 can use mfx+.

I have an ECoS with red speed knobs. A review about version 3.3.3 can be found here:
https://www.marklin-user...reloaded.aspx#post266887

The old ECoS has a screen resolution of only 320x240 (monochrome). The current ECoS has a colour screen with 800 x 480 pixel. The current 4.x software is much faster than the 3.x software which was much faster than the 2.x software.
I don't recall any speed improvements with the CS2.

I found one or two typos in the English UI of the ECoS. I found a few more with the CS2.

English manuals for both are outdated.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjlauritsen  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2015 12:29:38(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
It seems that the ECoS is a much more superior control station but wanted to get some opinion if I should go ahead with CS2 or instead go for ECoS.

I would not call it "far superior". It can use RailCom which the CS2 cannot, but the CS2 can talk mfx+ which the ECoS cannot. Depending on your needs the one might be a better choice than the other. Besides those two factors I really think they have around the same feature set. I do not think the CS2 is slow, the latest update seems to have speeded things up a bit.

I agree with Tom: You have to try both for yourself and decide from that. Smile

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline chrisisrang  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2015 15:05:58(UTC)
chrisisrang

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

I think this was discussed a few times.
Try both to find out which one suits you better. Well, this could be difficult in Hong Kong. Friends, MRR clubs, other forum members maybe?

I prefer the ECoS. The CS2 is rather slow at some frequently used functions.

Only the CS2 can use mfx+.

I have an ECoS with red speed knobs. A review about version 3.3.3 can be found here:
https://www.marklin-user...reloaded.aspx#post266887

The old ECoS has a screen resolution of only 320x240 (monochrome). The current ECoS has a colour screen with 800 x 480 pixel. The current 4.x software is much faster than the 3.x software which was much faster than the 2.x software.
I don't recall any speed improvements with the CS2.

I found one or two typos in the English UI of the ECoS. I found a few more with the CS2.

English manuals for both are outdated.

Thanks Tom. Appreciate your detailed response.

I have a friend who has a CS2. I did find it a shade slow in its responsiveness although I'll be honest that I haven't been able to compare it against the ECoS 50200. I am not a big fan of mfx+ so that feature will probably not sway me towards the CS2. What I do like about the CS2 is that it can get connected to an iPad (or an Andriod tablet) which then serves as a second wireless remote command station.

Do you know if the resolution of CS2 is 800 x 480 pixels or even higher density?

One thing is certain that almost all model train accessory/ control station manufacturers, without fail, do an awful job of creating user manuals. They think that their customers are all expert users Sad Angry

Thanks!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by chrisisrang
Offline chrisisrang  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2015 15:08:26(UTC)
chrisisrang

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
It seems that the ECoS is a much more superior control station but wanted to get some opinion if I should go ahead with CS2 or instead go for ECoS.

I would not call it "far superior". It can use RailCom which the CS2 cannot, but the CS2 can talk mfx+ which the ECoS cannot. . Smile

Thanks for your advice....perhaps use of wrong words.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2015 16:17:37(UTC)
H0

Do you know if the resolution of CS2 is 800 x 480 pixels or even higher density?
CS2 is also 800 x 480.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2015 17:58:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
understandable thoughts but you haven't told us what you use at the moment to control your locos.

If you purchase an ECoS you don't need M4 decoders or sound decoders you can use the ordinary version4 decoders, you have the option by activating RailComPlus which in turn automatically recognizes your loco and RailComPlus has other features within the ECoS. with the ECoS you can have up to 28 functions, can add 4 Märklin mobile stations, 6021, by using the old motorola system, the 6021 has the ability to operate 12 functions by using adjoining loco numbers e.g. as 3,4 and 5.
you can program all your ESU sound decoders or decoders with a lokprogrammer (open protocol) , there are many options you can change , e.g type of lighting, pulse telex coupling, different settings for smoke generators. adding sound files and many more. you can buy adapter plates to use 4 or 8 Aux functions (at a cost).
it took me at least 10 years to decide which one I would buy and one thing is for sure you'll never know what's around the corner. you get free updates for your ECoS or your lokprogrammer.

another feature I like is with your lokprogrammer you can put in all your data for your loco, roadnumber, Steam diesel or electric, Railwaycompany, maker of model, preset you function icons and this will automatically register with the ECoS.
I believe the ECoS is more expensive than the CS 2.
another benefit I like to mention is: when your decoder is damaged or ruined take it back to your dealer or send it straight to ESU with your guarantee coupon (3 year warranty) and you don't have to send back the whole loco which will save you on postage.
if you decide to buy an ECoS, you register with ESU and than have the opportunity to join the ESU forum and this is handy for helping you with questions you would like to express.

good luck

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2015 18:20:01(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I have never played around with Ecosystem but the new updates to CS2 has provided some additional automation when using routes (logics, sequences) so if you are planning to run your layout in a semi automated mode, you may want to check out the new features in CS2 (been discussed in this forum).

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2015 20:57:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I hope I am not inadvertently starting a topic of discussion which has been beaten to death in the past.

It certainly has been discusses plenty of times in the forum.

I have contemplating a Marklin CS2 for a while and just when I was about to take the plunge, I got excited about the ESU ECoS Command Station. It seems that the ECoS is a much more superior control station but wanted to get some opinion if I should go ahead with CS2 or instead go for ECoS.....Your thoughts / suggestions/ opinions are welcome and appreciated.

I have both the CS2 and an Ecos (monchrome version), as well as a Marklin Central Station 1 Reloaded (which is an upgraded CS1, effectively making it an Ecos). I guess that means I'm in a good position to compare the two.

Both are very good controllers, and largely have similar features. My suggestion is if all your locos (or most of them) are Marklin with Marklin decoders, or if you plan to purchase Marklin decoder kit upgrades for your analog locos, and if your accessory decoders (S88, K83, K84) are all Marklin based, you should go for the CS2. The CS2 software can fully program these decoders whereas the Ecos cannot.

If you mix and match items from various manufacturers, or if you are using ESU decoders and other ESU devices, then the Ecos may be a better option for you.

The CS2 does have better remote control options, with software that can run on either an iThingy or an Android device which provides a remote control option. Marklin also has software that will run on a Windows PC that can act as a remote controller.

The Ecos has Railcom functionality (already mentioned) and has limited Loconet connectivity, neither of which the CS2 has. The Ecos can use either 4amp or 8amp boosters (8amp should only be used with 1 Gauge). The CS2 has 5amp boosters, nothing larger.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I have an ECoS with red speed knobs.

Tom is, of course, referring to his Central Station 1 Reloaded.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 16 March 2015 21:08:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

The CS2 does have better remote control options, with software that can run on either an iThingy or an Android device which provides a remote control option. Marklin also has software that will run on a Windows PC that can act as a remote controller.

The ECoS also has iThingy and android wireless connection capability with apps for both devices. You can also get the Screens app for your iThingy and it will exactly emulate the display on the ECoS.

But this: http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...ntrol/mobile-control-ii/

...is what I have ordered and am awaiting. It is Android compatable, will connect wirelessly to the ECoS and now I will have a proper throttle that does not require my attention to operate just when I am trying to keep my attention on a loko doing switching work. I can watch the loko and operate the throttle without having to look at the throttle.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2015 02:59:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Matt, correct me if I'm wrong, although my knowledge of these Android and iThingy is zero, the CS 2 has capability without buying a Märklin gadget to operate these remote controllers whereas ESU you have to purchase one of these as shown in your link.

Märklin S 88's can be readily used with the ECoS.

I only can speak from an ECoS point of view as I never owned a CS, I don't think there has ever been a complete comparison between these 2 digital controllers, we've had part informations as Dave indicated (plenty of discussions and comparisons)

for instance I have the previous radio control (ESU), which is ok, the battery life isn't that crash hot and when the battery runs out of juice and your train is controlled by this radio control away from the ECoS, you have no control of your locos at all, what it should have is a safety device to shut off or stop when the battery life has come to an end. I hope the new gadget has some features which will prevent this scenario.

I would suggest if you have one of these radio controls don't have any tracks which locos can run off.

Again, as David explained, if you have a collection of Märklin mfx locos (closed protocol) you might as well use the CS 2 but if you have ESU decoders, it may be a benefit to buy an ECoS and a lokprogrammer as well.

an other feature with the ECoS is programming consists of locos. here again, just say you have 2 sound decoders in 2 BR 44's you can program the sound files for the same functions, e.g. horn, whistle, etc etc., you can change the light functions especially with Swiss locos.

another option I have programmed and this is the coal shoveling with the fire box glowing, the coal shoveling when turning on and off has a specific time to go through its shoveling period, I have coupled the coal shoveling and the fire box glow together whereas the coal shoveling function has a slight delay starting off and the glow has a slight delay when the coal shoveling finishes, even if the coal shoveling is programmed as momentary function it will go through its sound file recording but turning the function off will turn off the glow as well hence the delay for the glow function.

they are little things and most of you may not use or need these functions but where do you start and finish without pointing them out.

you can also use your old Märklin boosters with an ECoS.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2015 08:59:59(UTC)
Goofy

CS2 and Ecos seems good to use,but it´s also complicate digital system with the upgrades and bugs exist!
Which i don´t like it.
Ecos is much cheaper than CS2,because you will also get power feeder.
There is also other digital system to get.
I prefer to use DCC protocol which you can use with 2 and 3 rail tracks.
If you have DCC protocol and use three rail,i would choose complete digital system like Lenz.
I did used Lenz system and it´s easy to use.
But you did asked about Ecos or CS2.
Ecos is better choice.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline sjlauritsen  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2015 09:02:05(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
an other feature with the ECoS is programming consists of locos. here again, just say you have 2 sound decoders in 2 BR 44's you can program the sound files for the same functions, e.g. horn, whistle, etc etc., you can change the light functions especially with Swiss locos.

another option I have programmed and this is the coal shoveling with the fire box glowing, the coal shoveling when turning on and off has a specific time to go through its shoveling period, I have coupled the coal shoveling and the fire box glow together whereas the coal shoveling function has a slight delay starting off and the glow has a slight delay when the coal shoveling finishes, even if the coal shoveling is programmed as momentary function it will go through its sound file recording but turning the function off will turn off the glow as well hence the delay for the glow function.

they are little things and most of you may not use or need these functions but where do you start and finish without pointing them out.

AFAIK these are features of the decoders and not the command station. You can move functions around on the decoders and have them perform the way you like. This also makes it possible to bring a locomotive to someone else's layout and have it work as intended.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2015 10:31:53(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
The benefit of the Esu LokProgrammer is also available when using a CS2. A benefit of the CS2 is, that You can program your own Sound-projects to mSD Sound decoders. Therefore, if You are using mSD sound decoders and Esu LokSound decoders, the best would be to have a CS2 (for the mSD and other mfx stuff) and the LokProgrammer for Esu decoders.

If You have a ECoS, You will not be able to update mSD Sound decoders and update the mSD/mLD decoder firmware.

I tried the ECoS 5200 on my local dealer's store. What I really disliked was the motorized knob. When You turn back to stop position, You reach very easily the change direction position. It was very difficult to stop the loco without changing the direction. On the other side, the knob is bigger and more solid.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 17 March 2015 11:05:33(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi John, You do not need to buy the ESU device, it just happens to be made for modelrailroading and uses a knob for the throttle instead of a touch screen that you then drag one way or the other to adjust speed. Once the ECoS is connected to a wireless router, any iThingy or Android phone will work once you download the app to that device. Apparently, there are no apps for Windows based smart phones.

Hello Moritz, Yes, that reverse problem with the knob is annoying. There are setting though that can be adjusted. On choice is you must hold the knob for one second before reverse. Anther is that there is no reverse on the knob and the reverse function is then on the lever below the throttle. I use the one second hold and have eliminated inadvertent reversals.

My recommendation is as before, if you like and use MFX, buy the CS2. If you dislike MFX, then get the ECoS and use DCC with the added features of RailCom +.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt