Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline muddmover  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2015 22:50:19(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Hi all,

I am having an issue with the power from my cs2. Now, the cs2 turns on, backs up, restarts, restores and generally functions as normal; In fact, there does not seem to be any issues at all, the cs2 functions as normal. However, it is outputting absolutely NO voltage to the tracks. The trains wont move, or play sounds, the signals don't turn on, the turnouts don't switch; nothing does anything. This starting happening the other day after a series of events:

1. Some people came over, tried to move the table, and in doing so, unplugged the power strip to the cs2, shutting it down.
2. Same exact thing as #1 happened AGAIN ten minutes laterCursing
3. A vacuum was plugged in, and turned on; the lights flickered, and then the station shut down.

Now, the station works normally, but will NOT output anything to the tracks. I have tested with a multimeter, and nothing. I tried reseting, restoring, rebooting, updating, using different trains and track, different wires, and still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem in the past, and/or do you have any suggestions? The warranty has run out at this point, and I would rather not spend 4 months shipping it back to Germany to have it fixed. Please tell me theres something I can do.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

-Jonas
Offline Hackcell  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2015 01:32:43(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Do you have the small box issued for the US market connected between the CS2 and the tracks? If so, did you remove it to test?
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2015 02:44:33(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: muddmover Go to Quoted Post
... Now, the station works normally, but will NOT output anything to the tracks. ...

Jonas, I am aware of a CS2 in a similar state, although the cause was better explained (Yellow into Red)

The unit is still function with a booster, although Programming Track functionality is also lost.
This last point is a little curious - and I would be interested to know if your PT works for programming (when not actually doing any programming the PT will be the same voltage as the Main)

My previous experiences with 6021's and the same issue have found replacing the output transisters to be a fairly straight forward fix.
If anyone has insights into the CS2s output electronics, I welcome their findings. It may be all part of the SMD componentry, but if it could be succinctly identified it will save a shipment back to Marklin.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline muddmover  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2015 20:05:42(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Do you have the small box issued for the US market connected between the CS2 and the tracks? If so, did you remove it to test?

Yes, I do have the box connected, and no, I did not remove it. Were I to do so, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would not be able to turn the cs2 on, which it currently does.
Offline muddmover  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2015 20:08:23(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Clapcott, thanks for the reply. I have tried using the programming track, but so far to no avail. I'm interested to see if the output transistors or something of that sort have failed, but, alas, I know not how to check it. Anyone have any suggestions for that? Thank You.
Offline muddmover  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2015 20:09:55(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
On a second note, now that I think about it, on startup, there is an error message that appears. It is in German, so I don't know what it says, but when I get back to my layout, I will post the contents of the message.
Offline Hackcell  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2015 02:06:21(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   

Yes, I do have the box connected, and no, I did not remove it. Were I to do so, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would not be able to turn the cs2 on, which it currently does.

Hi there,

You can remove the box and connect the tracks directly to the CS2 without further issues.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2015 07:53:50(UTC)
H0

On a second note, now that I think about it, on startup, there is an error message that appears. It is in German, so I don't know what it says, but when I get back to my layout, I will post the contents of the message.
That might prove helpful, especially if the message is about problems with the GFP (track format processor TFP).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline muddmover  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2015 01:09:33(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Alright, after buying, and receiving a brand new CS2, NOTHING WORKS Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
When inspecting the information page, the CS2 states that there is 10 v, but no current is going to the track, on both the old and the new CS2. We created track with brand new tracks, a new locomotive, and a brand new CS2; nothing works. The CS2 still turns on, but no movement, not lights, no sounds no nothing. This is extremely frustrating, as there is nothing else in the loop that I can see that I would be able to try, except buy a whole new house and start from scratch. Anyone have suggestions?

Edited by user 10 March 2015 15:54:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline muddmover  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2015 01:11:23(UTC)
muddmover

United States   

Hi there,

You can remove the box and connect the tracks directly to the CS2 without further issues.

Hi, I am running an old CS2, which does not have the box you were talking about, I was thinking of something else. However, I know now of the box, upon receiving the brand new Central station. The tracks wont work with or without the box on either CS2.
Offline muddmover  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2015 01:15:51(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Finally, ocasionally, the CS2 glitches out and says that the Voltage is "1.7 e+ V" and the voltage bar fills up in a sequence of; one third red, short dash of blue, one third green, one fifth red. Or there about. I hope you guys have some suggestions. Thanks in advance
Offline tulit  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2015 02:13:27(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
You replaced the cs2, but did you replace the power supply feeding it? That sounds like the next likely culprit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
H0
Offline muddmover  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2015 02:36:33(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
I have not, I guess I will have to try that next. Why would that make a difference though? The CS2 powers up just fine, and works just as normal.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 08 March 2015 09:33:25(UTC)
H0

Why would that make a difference though? The CS2 powers up just fine, and works just as normal.
If your CS2 displays a track voltage of 10 V then there is a problem - either with the voltage on the input side or with measuring the track voltage.
Since nothing works, the problem may actually be with the power supply.

"1.7 e+ V" indicates a value that is far out of the normal range. With a long bar with many colours, this probably means 170 V or something like this.
In the best case this is just a measuring error caused by a too low input voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline muddmover  
#15 Posted : 10 March 2015 15:56:00(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Why would that make a difference though? The CS2 powers up just fine, and works just as normal.
If your CS2 displays a track voltage of 10 V then there is a problem - either with the voltage on the input side or with measuring the track voltage.
Since nothing works, the problem may actually be with the power supply.

"1.7 e+ V" indicates a value that is far out of the normal range. With a long bar with many colours, this probably means 170 V or something like this.
In the best case this is just a measuring error caused by a too low input voltage.

In this case, I assume the best course of action would be to replace to power supply, if the input voltage is too low?