Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline camcath  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2015 10:53:19(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Hi

I have a brawa 40137. One of my favourites but I think the decoder is on the blink. Firstly, I noticed no reverse (using ms2). Then I tried to re-enter the loco on the system but no luck lots - of noise, lights flickering and jerking backwards and forwards movements. So the question, is it straightforward to replace the decoder with ESU version 4?

Thanks

Cameron
Offline glight1  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2015 14:47:55(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Hello Cameron,

You might consider contacting Brawa. They tout their customer service on their website. I have never done this but when I had an issue with one of my Brawa locos, I went thru my dealer and the loco was repaired. However, it did take about six months to get my loco back.

Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2015 15:28:42(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: camcath Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I have a brawa 40137. One of my favourites but I think the decoder is on the blink. Firstly, I noticed no reverse (using ms2). Then I tried to re-enter the loco on the system but no luck lots - of noise, lights flickering and jerking backwards and forwards movements. So the question, is it straightforward to replace the decoder with ESU version 4?

Thanks

Cameron

Did you tried to shut the power off for the digital system and turn on again?
What version do you have now in the MS2?
Did you checked if decoder are fixed correct in the MTC schnittstelle(bad contact)?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Marius in Africa  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2015 16:12:14(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Hi Cameron

If you do need to replace the decoder here is some information regarding the loco. This model of the BR 19.10 DRG railroad is listed in the 2009/2010 Brawa catalogue as a "Digital Premium AC" locomotive, thus it had sound and a smoke generator as standard. It is almost certainly fitted with an ESU Loksound decoder.

Thus you can buy a new ESU decoder and bypass the Brawa price mark up. If you do not feel up to it your dealer should be able to assist with fitting and programming, IF programming is required.

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline camcath  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2015 21:31:39(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Many thanks for the advice. All seems to be ok, I ran as analogue then retried with MS2. On reflection, may be an MS2 issue. I had then trouble finding a marklin lok. And now I have lost the loco database, which I assume is gone forever. no problem, I never rally used it. Anyway. Switched all off and on again. Seems to be going fine.

Cameron
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2015 22:16:27(UTC)
Webmaster

Quite common problem with some decoders - digital settings are "lost" - then run the loco on AC or use some other digital
controller and the loco will be recognized again as a "new" loco with the M/ESU controllers if you delete it from the original controller db.

Mostly works, but may also fail for other reasons due to decoder/controller flaws - and your thought about upgrading is fine
since the decoders get better and better regarding error handling with the communication to the controller.
It's not a perfect system yet, but is improving all the time...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]