Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline joseluisvalde  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2015 15:58:56(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

I am completely stuck with the operation of the platform 7686.

I obtained information from the forums and have been slowly assembling this platform I bought at auction a few months ago, making sure it was functioning.
From what I've been able to verify the model is right
I made connections to the decoder 7686, as it is explained abundantly in catalogs and I have connected to the CS 60214 through a Booster 60174: Routes that arrive and depart from the platform are individually connected to the rest of lay-out, which also goes to the CS2 with Booster 60174.
I have taken the bridge current to illuminate the house and to operate the light signals marklin 76372, placing their decoders under the bridge.
The train runs perfectly across the bridge and going to each of the 12 tracks that I have installed; naturally, moving manually the bridge .
But, the problem that I have is that the platform does not move electrically.
Many times I tried to program it with the keyboard in number 15 , where all the signs input, end, etc .. I doubt feel total ignorance in this situation.
Can someone kindly tell me step by step what I must to do ?
Thanks a million

Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline French_Fabrice  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2015 18:37:19(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

Download the manual (copy & paste the following url) in another tab of your browser:

medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/7687_betrieb.pdf

The instructions for programming the TT are page 12.

One critical point you may check, is you only have five seconds after power up to press the "input" icon. So:
-Power up the CS2 and boosters normally
-go to keyboard #15
-hit the stop bar (to stop the current)
-hit again the stop bar (to start the current)
-you should now press the "input" icon on the keyboard 15 (within 5 seconds after power up) to enter programming mode...

Good luck
Fabrice
Offline joseluisvalde  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2015 22:11:49(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thanks Fabrice for your kind reply.
I have the 7686 manual ,and I have to start with " input", also I know that is necessary to do it within 5 seconds.
I have done so many tests, but I proves to be an ignorant,and I must ask: but what must be programmed after the input and how? what sequence should I follow?

Regards
Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline French_Fabrice  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2015 10:58:06(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Jose Luis,

Here is a step-by-step description of the programming. I've written it in pseudo-code. I hope you will understand it. This is a summary I've written a long time ago for my 7286+7686.

1. Press "input" within 5 sec. after power up. Normally, the bridge moves (or not, if the bridge is already facing spoke track 1) to reach memorized spoke track 1. When spoke track 1 is reached , you can here a beep tone.
  2. If (spoke track 1 IS NOT in right position) Then
    2.1. Press ">" or "<" until the expected spoke track position is reached. Each press will move the bridge one step clockwise (>) or counter clockwise (<).

3. End if
  4. Press "clear"
  5. For each (spoke track remaining to be programmed), do
    5.1. Press "input"

5.2. Press ">" or "<" until the expected spoke track position is reached. Each press will move the bridge one step clockwise (>) or counter clockwise (<).

6. End For each
  7. When finished, press "input", then press "end"

Notice: The programming spoke track order must be done clockwise

If nothing reacts, then either the connection is bad or the decoder is faulty.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2015 11:20:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had similar problems with my 7687 decoder. After much hair pulling out I came to the conclusion that the decoder was faulty as delivered. I'm now using a K84 decoder to control the turntable.

The manual (or at least the 7687 manual does) has instructions on how to make a diagnostic tool using 3 LED's, some resistors and a strip of veroboard. It has a green, orange and red LED's, and it can be used to diagnose problems - e.g. if it keeps flashing red light like mine did, the you know that the decoder is faulty.

There are numerous reports on this forum about these decoders being rubbish, many folk recommend the LDT turntable controller, either that or you can use a K84.
Offline joseluisvalde  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2015 12:18:27(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Fabrice,thank for your contribution.

When I press "Input" sounds a little sound as "clanck" and so when I press "step". But the bridge is not moving.

Looks like the engine did not rotate. Manually I have no problem to place it in any position by means of the lever.

The lights that can be connected to the decoder, and I thought so, but I'm lazy and do not know how and where to place them.

If I remove the bridge there any way to know if the motor works?

Connections think well: Points B and L connected with red wire (power) and points 0 with brown wire to ground (connected to Booster)

The 7686 I bought second hand, but they said it worked
This situation bothers me.
Thank You all
Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2015 03:07:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You might want to try the turntable with the analog controller that comes with the TT to make sure the TT is working OK.
Offline joseluisvalde  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2015 09:20:03(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thank you very much for the good intentions to help me.
I may seem ignorant, but do not know how I can prove the turntable with analog control.
The turntable have flat cable with six wires connection to the decoder. I can use an output B from decoder (current) and an output O (mass) and to connect to a small transformer I have of 10VA with sockets O, B and L (yellow). It's that?
Or to remove the bridge and carry two wires directly from the track to the motor connections, and see if this tour. Or use the small transformer.It can do that?

Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline siroljuk  
#9 Posted : 01 March 2015 10:07:06(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,
Here you can find very good information of turntables of several ages:
http://www.sporskiftet.d...rklin-7186-k84-7286-7686Cool

Use Google-translator to tranlate, if you need

regards

Jukka
Offline joseluisvalde  
#10 Posted : 01 March 2015 10:54:09(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Thanks Jukka for your help.
This information I have it. What I need now is someone to tell me how to check if the motor turns. How to test in analog mode.
Thank you very much

Jose Luis
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 01 March 2015 11:46:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: joseluisvalde Go to Quoted Post
.....but do not know how I can prove the turntable with analog control.

The 7286 turntable comes with a blue analog controller (see picture) and I'm assuming the 7686 turntable does as well.
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG
Offline joseluisvalde  
#12 Posted : 01 March 2015 12:13:04(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
I have not the analog controller.
My 7686 has the decoder 7686.
I have an old transformer
joseluisvalde attached the following image(s):
Decoder7686.jpg
Trafo 10 VA.jpg
Offline joseluisvalde  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2015 16:17:49(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Can someone answer if is possible (removing the bridge) carry current to the motor terminals to see if he runs?

It could be done directly with the trasnsformer that I have in CA? inserting a DC rectifier; or perhaps it could directly bring the digital power of the tracks?

Any other suggestions to determine if there is a problem with the turntable motor?

I think that would be the way to know what fails: the decoder, programming or motor.

Thanks
Jose Luis
Offline joseluisvalde  
#14 Posted : 02 March 2015 19:57:35(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Finally I managed to rotate the platform. I have read and reread your instructions, I have retested for programming several times and I've also disconnected and reconnect the ribbon cable to the decoder.

Now turn normally, but in one direction and very slowly.

The other problem is that it does not stay positioned, aligned perfectly with the tracks.

Is there any way to fix this? With the manual crank can not be, because it seems that does not match the lock.

Another thing (it seems all are problems): When I finished the test, I note that is loose at the bottom of the turntable one of the metal sheets that make contact with the center of the bridge platform.
I'll have to remove the bridge; could influence the direction of rotation?
Thanks
Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2015 21:09:06(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

I also had problems with the TT and 7686 but found that by connecting the lights I could see what was happening in the decoder. I have used a 3 aspect Viessmann signal which comes with all the resistors, diode and LEDs and simply needs to be connected to the 7686 digital decoder output. Programming is easy as each step is confirmed by the signal lights flashing etc so you know where you are and can identify if there is a problem with the communication to the 7686. In fact I found it so useful that I have mounted it permanently next to my turntable pointed towards my CS2 control position. In normal operation I am able to see when there is a problem simply by looking at the signal lights.

By the way one of my problems was that I had not connected the 16v accessory supply to the decoder. You need to have both the digital track signal for the commands, as well as the 16v accessory power for the motor.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline joseluisvalde  
#16 Posted : 02 March 2015 21:56:37(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thanks Mike

Very interesting the light signal connected to the decoder 7686.
I do not understand the last thing you say about the auxiliary 16V connection.
The decoder has two outputs connection B, three outputs 0 (ground) and the L output that connects with the B. I have it connected in that way
Regards
Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#17 Posted : 03 March 2015 07:37:03(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

The 7686 has the following connections:

B O O L O B rt gn ge

As far as I am aware the left hand three (B O O) are only used for track connections, isolating the digital signal for the decoder from the track power to allow mixed analogue and digital operation.

I have wired the next 3 connections (L O B) as follows:

L - 16v accessory power
O - common for both accessory and track/digital signal
B - track/digital signal

I gather that you have wired both L and B to your track/digital system and this should then give the same result. I have separated mine and the TT works fine using the 16v accessory power on L. The issue is that you must provide ac power to the L connector - afaik there is no internal link between L and B. I cannot remember whether I first tried with digital power connected to L but I do know that the 16v accessory power works. I can't think of a good reason why a digital track connection to L shouldn't also work.

When I had problems I had not provided power to the L connector. With the signal connected I was able to see that the decoder was responding but my TT was not turning and rechecked my wiring. To my mind the signal provides important feedback of what the decoder is doing and is an essential addition to operating the turntable. It certainly simplifies programming.

Regards
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#18 Posted : 03 March 2015 11:25:57(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Mike, but turntable motor is AC or DC?.
I understand that you connect the L output of the decoder to a separate transformer (as I showed in one of my posts) with a yellow 16V fixed output. In that case if the motor is DC you must to insert a rectifier, and if AC, no.

I have all the outputs of the decoder connected to the CS2 through a Booster.

Regards
Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#19 Posted : 03 March 2015 13:19:53(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
I think the TT motor is DC - I have not checked. I am sure that the AC supply on the L socket is rectified in the 7686. The reverse direction of the motor is then easily achieved by simply reversing the polarity of the supply to the motor from the 7686 - probably via a relay. I have not inserted a rectifier in my supply to the L socket.

As I mentioned the use of a digital feed rather than AC should be fine.

Regards
Mike
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#20 Posted : 03 March 2015 14:58:44(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thanks Mike for your clarification.
I have much to try and learn with TT.
I'll probably have more questions to ask when I continue with programming.
Currently, two doubts: I have two tracks of arrival and 12 of parking. It is more convenient to number the tracks of 1 to 12 and the position of the shed, near these 12 tracks?
What should I do to fit exactly the key in the lock?; because the tracks remain slightly
displaced; very little, just a few millimeters.

And finally , your light signal it is 4722 Viessman?

Regards
Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#21 Posted : 03 March 2015 17:51:46(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

Happy to help where I can. I am still learning as I go, so I am not sure that I will be able to answer all of your questions.

The exact alignment of the tracks is not something I know very much about. I have had this problem when the track on an approach track has been pushed into the turntable bridge space and the tracks on the bridge get caught, giving a misalignment. Once I pushed the track on the approach track back slightly so that the tracks on the bridge cleared the approach tracks, the turntable worked perfectly. Not sure whether this is your problem.

The Viessmann 4722 signal is the one I used.

Good luck with sorting out your TT.

Regards
Mike
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#22 Posted : 03 March 2015 19:23:40(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

I managed to move the TT but I can not program it.

1- rotates in one direction only
2- apparently always goes to a point, but I can not change the point 1 and put the one I want.
3- At the starting point that the TT has memorized and some other (and I do not can to change) the track is not perfectly aligned. In the other points no problem
4- The "turn" does not react. No turn 180º that manual says.
5- I think the speed is very slow.

As it can reset the decoder and start programming from the beginning ? Because I have handled many times, so maybe do not respond to impulses I want.

I will appreciate help

Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline MikeR  
#23 Posted : 03 March 2015 20:13:37(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

I suggest that you reprogram the 7686 decoder. In particular I recommend that you follow the steps in Chapter 5 of the manual

1. Press "input" within 5 seconds of turning on the digital layout. The turntable will move to the currently defined track 1. I find that pressing the "Stop" twice on the CS2 and then the "Input" button works.
  2. Use the "Step" < or > to move the deck to the track 1 that you want then press "Clear" to clear the existing memory and set the track 1 to where the deck is located.
  3. Continue moving to the required tracks using the "Step" button and storing the required positions using the "Input" button.
  4. When complete press the "End" button.

If you have the light signal connected you will see the lights as specified in the table in Chapter 8. This will confirm that you are performing the required steps.

There is also a process in Chapter 9 where the track position 1 can be reset without clearing the memory as envisaged in Step 1 and 2 above. It can also be reset manually using the lever under the bridge.

The turntable does turn slowly and in Chapter 9 Marklin mention that there is a time control integrated into the electronics if the deck is turning too slowly and not reaching a spoke track in an acceptable time. Unless this problem is present I think that your TT is normal.

Th fact that only a few tracks do not line up exactly indicates a mechanical problem and I suggest that you look very carefully at these tracks to see if there is any foreign object or dirt on the track spokes.

Regards
Mike
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#24 Posted : 03 March 2015 22:35:04(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Thanks Mike,

I follow the procedure as you and other kind friends are explaining it to me; at least I think so. But I can not confirm the procedure and suddenly the bridge moves at whim.

I do not have the light signal, but I will buy it.

The reset I tried to do as you say, but no clear result.

Anyway, I think I need more patience and I will make it.

And why only rotates in the direction of clockwise?

Thanks and regards

Jose Luis
Offline joseluisvalde  
#25 Posted : 03 March 2015 23:35:47(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Hi Mike,

It could serve the light signal Viessmann 4012 ?. Just cable without relay

Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#26 Posted : 04 March 2015 07:23:40(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

I am sorry but the signal I used is not a Viessmann 4722 but the 4012 as you mention in your last post. I was not thinking properly when I went and looked at my layout. The 4012 is the correct light signal that I used.

Apologies for the error!

Regards
Mike
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#27 Posted : 04 March 2015 07:40:35(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thanks a lot Mike

Regards
Jose Luis
Offline Drongo  
#28 Posted : 04 March 2015 10:53:38(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Jose,

I've followed this thread and I can sympathise with you and understand your frustration, as I went through all this last year. I returned the turntable and the decoder to Marklin and they found that the decoder was faulty. To make matters worse, before I returned the TT and decoder, I bought another decoder and this decoder was also faulty. I believe these decoders have been badly made and by a third party and I'd guess that 3rd party is a country in the far East.

My opinion is that you have the decoder thoroughly tested by Marklin.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline joseluisvalde  
#29 Posted : 04 March 2015 11:50:46(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Thanks Greg, you are very kind and sincere.

My TT I bought a few months ago and was second-hand, but said they worked well. (?)
I still can not see the light. I do not know if I have fun with TT or is she having fun with me, because she does not do what I want.

Regards
Jose Luis
Offline joseluisvalde  
#30 Posted : 05 March 2015 13:54:07(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

I get to move the TT, but without precise control (I have to work it more).

But can someone tell me why rotates only to the right, (clockwise)? On the left sometimes makes "clanck" but does not rotate.
And why does not work the button TURN?

Thanks
Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline joseluisvalde  
#31 Posted : 06 March 2015 20:02:57(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Greg, Mike, Jukka, Bigdaddynz and Fabrice, thank you for all effective support you have given me with the TT.

Now I understand programming and more, of this exciting product for our trains.

But I want to inform you that I have discovered that the main problem that has so far created me and continues to create the TT, is a bad connection of the 6-wire ribbon cable.
Apparently there are not any loose or improperly assembled cable, but moving the connection produces a total failure or malfunction.
Not sure if you understand what I mean: any movement, squeezing roughly, just touching, produced connection failures.
I'm thinking to remake the six-pin connector, using the same cables,but I feel a little scary.
What do you think? Or it is possible to find this ribbon cable with the special connector as a spare?

Thank you very much and regards

Jose Luis
Offline MikeR  
#32 Posted : 06 March 2015 22:02:35(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Jose Luis

I assume from your comments that you have connected the signal or other lights to the decoder and are able to see the decoder responding to your CS2 commands. Glad you are making progress and have isolated the problem to the 6-wire ribbon cable.

Regards
Mike
Member of ETE
Offline joseluisvalde  
#33 Posted : 06 March 2015 23:47:10(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Yes, it is so.
At the moment I've got a good contact and moves correctly. The light signal Viessman that you so kindly advised me, it works well.

The problem is that every time I turn the model, something moves, or do not know what, the good contact disappears.
I'll have to do something about this, but the ideal would be to have another cable and change it; would only have to weld it to TT, following the order of colors.
Thanks Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joseluisvalde
Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 07 March 2015 13:02:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: joseluisvalde Go to Quoted Post

Greg, Mike, Jukka, Bigdaddynz and Fabrice, thank you for all effective support you have given me with the TT.

Now I understand programming and more, of this exciting product for our trains.

But I want to inform you that I have discovered that the main problem that has so far created me and continues to create the TT, is a bad connection of the 6-wire ribbon cable.
Apparently there are not any loose or improperly assembled cable, but moving the connection produces a total failure or malfunction.
Not sure if you understand what I mean: any movement, squeezing roughly, just touching, produced connection failures.
I'm thinking to remake the six-pin connector, using the same cables,but I feel a little scary.
What do you think? Or it is possible to find this ribbon cable with the special connector as a spare?

Thank you very much and regards

Jose Luis

I am not familiar with the inner construction of this turntable, but to me I would look to see if the solder joints on the back of the connector in the turntable and/or decoder are good. I would put a touch of flux on each joint and refresh the solder using some very fine solder wire so it doesn't apply too much extra solder.

I have had occasion to service a Marklin 6015/7 booster and I ended up going over every solder joint in it. Do be careful if doing this as the solder pads on the printed circuit board are quite small.

It is always possible that the connector on the cable has lost its contact spring, in which case the best remedy is a replacement cable.

Offline joseluisvalde  
#35 Posted : 07 March 2015 19:07:49(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
Thank you KiwiAlan
You say:
"It is always possible that the connector on the cable has lost its contact spring, in which case the best remedy is a replacement cable. "

And I also believe in this possibility. So I'm thinking of redoing the 6-pin connector. But for now I go ahead trying to schedule TT, albeit precariously

Regards
Jose Luis