Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tag3636  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2015 23:01:06(UTC)
tag3636

United States   
Can anyone help me with a problem I am having getting the 7592 crossing gates to work n my layout? I am using K-track with a digital system. I am using a 6627 trafo to control my lighting, Faller Car System and the 7592 Crossing. The lighting and the Faller stuff work fine but I can't get the Crossing to work. I have run the power lead to it from the 6627. I think I may have a ground problem. I am not certain where to connect the ground wire. I tried testing it by touching the ground wire to the outside rail but that didn't do anything. I'm at a loss. Thanks . George
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2015 23:12:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: tag3636 Go to Quoted Post
I think I may have a ground problem. I am not certain where to connect the ground wire. I tried testing it by touching the ground wire to the outside rail but that didn't do anything.
That's correct. Connect it to the non-insulated outer rail. Maybe there is another connection missing?

IMHO the 74920 manual explains things better, see diagrams on pages 12 and 13:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/74920_betrieb.pdf
(Copy URL to address field)
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline tag3636  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2015 01:42:38(UTC)
tag3636

United States   
Tom, thanks for the note. I tried the ground wire on both of the outer rails, not at the same time, without any luck. I have the insulated rail sections that came with the crossing a few feet from the crossing on either side. This shouldn't make any difference. Should it? I am at a loss.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2015 03:42:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Tag 3636.

As far as I can tell from reading your description, you have connected the grade crossing's yellow cable to the yellow output on your 6627 transformer.
One of the brown outputs on your 6627 should be connected to the rails to provide the return.

Once this is done, your grade crossing should function as intended. See the diagram on page 12 of the instructions that Tom provided the link to.

The ground connection is for the lighting and barrier motor only. The solenoid that activates them is activated when the crossing detects a ground return signal from the contact track caused by the train passing over it. That signal is sent to the crossing via the isolated rail section to the tongue contact on each part of the crossing.

The two sections of track that come with the switch have a break in one side of the return circuit (rail). This triggers the lights and barrier when the return contact is closed as the train with non-insulated wheel sets travels over the track. Please make sure that the track sections are properly aligned so that the circuit is open when there is no traffic and closed when the train is passing. If one of the two contact tracks is inverted, the crossing will not work because the system will always be closed as only one side of the sections will be isolated. Pay attention to the red indicator markings on the tracks.

You said that you have the contact tracks a few track lengths from the crossing. K tracks have insulated rails, so there is no constant contact between the two rails. The only way that the ground is shared is at the contact track sections and when there are uninsulated axles running on the rails. Having added tracks between the contact track and the switch should not cause any issues as long as the contact tracks are installed in the right direction.

I am also not sure how traffic is coordinated between the trains and the Car System. Does the Car System have to be somehow connected to this loop as well so that it knows when the barrier is up or down?

Regards

Mike C
Offline tag3636  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2015 14:40:39(UTC)
tag3636

United States   
Mike, Thanks for your help. I am not using this crossing with the Car System. When i mentioned the Car System I meant to say that I am using a separate transformer for the Car System. I also have the crossing hooked to its own transformer. I do have a question though, should I connect the ground wire for the crossing to the rail that has the splits in it or the other one or both rails? Do you think the ground connection to the rails should be accomplished us a Marklin7500Ground Terminal Clip or can I just solder it to the track. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. George
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2015 05:28:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
George,

that's an easy one to answer. The cable with the return should be connected to the rail that is not split, as the one that is split is already connected to the crossing via the rail and the contact in the middle of the street section and constant contact is needed to close the circuit for the lights. If you are not intending the layout to be permanent, the Ground terminal clip is probably the best option.

Regards

Mike C
Offline tag3636  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2015 14:24:09(UTC)
tag3636

United States   
Mike. Thanks for staying with me. When I get back today I'm going to take it apart and start over. i had the split rails on the out side. I'm going to flip them to the inside and connect the ground to the outside. The crossing itself is new so I'm sure the reason it is not working is the way I have it set up. George