Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rheingold55  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2015 06:30:40(UTC)
Rheingold55

United States   
Has anyone had issues with the red Rheostat knob on a transformer, where it eventually becomes loose and will not turn all the off at the "0" position?
Has anyone serviced and older transformer by removing the knob and blue housing to tighten up the rheostat?
Offline seatrains  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2015 20:20:58(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Rheingold55, I have not taken a Marklin Transformer apart for repair, but it in not a recommended practice:
See this thread:
www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst25901findunread_Older-Metal-Transformer-Danger.aspx#post479719
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2015 01:59:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 6627 was one of the early blue plastic bodied transformers. The cover is held on to the base with clips, but the clips cannot be undone from the outside. Some people have drilled into the case to pop it open, but you will have to find a way to seal the transformer after any repairs are done.

Today, there are quite a few white transformers around, from Start Sets and from people who have gone digital and who now use MS2 or CS2 with AC adapter instead of the classic transformer.
I seem to recall even Schweickhardt and other dealers had specials on US transformers.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2015 03:17:54(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
do not mess with it....get a new one!!!! you will live long and prosper. mike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Rheingold55  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2015 00:43:10(UTC)
Rheingold55

United States   
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
Rheingold55, I have not taken a Marklin Transformer apart for repair, but it in not a recommended practice:
See this thread:
www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst25901findunread_Older-Metal-Transformer-Danger.aspx#post479719

Appreciate all the info. Thanks. Much safer to buy a new one.
Offline Rheingold55  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2015 00:44:48(UTC)
Rheingold55

United States   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
do not mess with it....get a new one!!!! you will live long and prosper. mike

Good Advice. Thanks.
Offline Rheingold55  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2015 00:48:39(UTC)
Rheingold55

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The 6627 was one of the early blue plastic bodied transformers. The cover is held on to the base with clips, but the clips cannot be undone from the outside. Some people have drilled into the case to pop it open, but you will have to find a way to seal the transformer after any repairs are done.

Today, there are quite a few white transformers around, from Start Sets and from people who have gone digital and who now use MS2 or CS2 with AC adapter instead of the classic transformer.
I seem to recall even Schweickhardt and other dealers had specials on US transformers.

Regards

Mike C

After reading through seatrains links, I'll take your advice and look for some white transformers at train shows or on e-bay. Thanks
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2015 04:07:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Seatrains is referring to the older metal transformers. I do not know if those issues also applied to the more recent (1970s/1980s) blue plastic transformers. As far as I was aware, the only issue with those particular transformers was that electricity companies had changed the standard voltages both in North America (110/120) and in Europe (220/230) and that those transformers could under certain circumstances provide voltages in excess of what Maerklin recommends.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2015 08:41:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
As far as I was aware, the only issue with those particular transformers was that electricity companies had changed the standard voltages both in North America (110/120) and in Europe (220/230) and that those transformers could under certain circumstances provide voltages in excess of what Maerklin recommends.
In Europe the governments are to blame for higher voltages in many countries.
I have a Märklin transformer specified for 220 V input with a nominal reversing voltage of 23 V. Now with 230 V input voltage, the effective reversing voltage is 31 V. Effective reversing voltage is 25.5 V with new grey transformers at 230 V.
Long story short: even with 220 V input voltage the reversing voltage would be above the specification of new decoders, so I do not blame the government. The transformer is to blame.
They rectified the construction of the transformers when the mains voltage was changed.

So measure the reversing voltage before running locos from 2004 or later with a blue transformer - if you have a transformer that works. If a blue transformer does not work correctly than it probably is not worth fixing. If the 16 V lights output is still working, the transformer can still be used for that purpose.
Some people fix the speed knob in a specific position to get a lower "fixed" voltage at red/brown. Light bulbs live much longer if the voltage is a bit lower than specified.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage