Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2015 15:24:43(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I am investigating living at Den Helder,far north of Amsterdam.
Den Helder is our national navy port,and gateway to the beautiful island of Texel.
Napoleon called Den Helder the Gibraltar of the north!
As such,i found this clip of a cabinride from Alkmaar (touristic cheese market) to Den Helder.
The train in question is a socalled VIRM double deck intercity,very comfortable train,cruising speed 130 km/h,taking overhead current at 1,500 volts DC.
Note the typical Dutch signal posts in black and white,with large oblong black markerboards around the lights.
The zig-zagging overhead wires ensure equal wear and tear of the pantographs.
The concrete sleepers (Marklin where are you?) ensure a stable ride on this very wet land below sealevel.
Railwaycrossings have bells,warninglights and decending beams,the smaller crossings only have bells and lights.
Part of the stretch is single track,with trains waiting their turn at selected stations.
Note the pushbike parkinglots at some of the stations,holding hundreds of bikes.
At the end of the ride at Den Helder mainstation,you can see a refurbished double deck commutertrain in new colorscheme,nowadays used for intercity traffic also.
The ride under the overhead wire can cause you to get hypnotised,and perhaps even let you fall asleep.
Nothing wrong about that.

Edited by user 01 March 2015 10:06:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline danmarklinman  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2015 15:57:26(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Nice bit of vid, just a question about graffiti in Holland. Do those who get court get stiff penalties. As I have seen a lot of it when I've been on the train. Especially when myself and family went to Croatia on the Autoslaaptrein from Den Bosch BigGrin there was so much!!
Ps Marklin make concrete sleeper track in Z. Which I have just started back inLOL
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2015 19:43:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Nice bit of vid, just a question about graffiti in Holland. Do those who get court get stiff penalties. As I have seen a lot of it when I've been on the train. Especially when myself and family went to Croatia on the Autoslaaptrein from Den Bosch BigGrin there was so much!!
Ps Marklin make concrete sleeper track in Z. Which I have just started back inLOL

Problem is they do not get caught.
Passenger trains standling idle in the middle of the night are an easy target.
That goes for the rest as well,including buildings,offices,houses,viaducts,transformer houses,etc.
Our limited policeforce has other priorities.
Hey,who wants to join the police at a modest pay and needing approval from office clerks before firing a gun at a dangerous criminal?

To me a sign of a society in decay.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).