Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline analogmike  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2015 00:51:08(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
hello boys; this morning i acquired my my first primex set. a pre-owned 2702 anniversary set consisting of e144 lok with 5 assorted tank cars. i wanted one of these loks for some time but all the m-ones iv'e come across were beat-up. when this deal came along i went for it but i knew i had to do something about the color of the lokRazz . the blue isn't too bad but that ivory on the nose just isn't working for me. so lets hear it. i was thinking red wheels/green or grey body. maybe doing the trucks in red also. red pantographs? camouflage? mike.
analogmike attached the following image(s):
002.JPG
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2015 01:14:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike,

Why would you do that? This is the only model of the Br144 that Marklin have ever made in Blue/Cream. These are the colours that many of these locos finished their lives in, and I consider it a bit of a special paint job.

If you want a green one there are many examples on ebay you can get for a song, some of them in very good condition.

The model is yours and you can do what you like with it, but to my eyes it looks pristene and repainting it would be nothing short of vandalism!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline analogmike  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2015 16:41:29(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
hollo ray; i gotta tell you. when you called painting that lok "vandalisim" iv'e been laughing all morning. that was great! i certainly will take it under consideration. i wish i had a photo of the prototype in that livery. maybe it'll make it easier on my eyes. mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2015 17:05:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
hollo ray; i gotta tell you. when you called painting that lok "vandalisim" iv'e been laughing all morning. that was great! i certainly will take it under consideration. i wish i had a photo of the prototype in that livery. maybe it'll make it easier on my eyes. mike

Easy...here it is!
And I agree with Ray!
In fact, this is one of the real collectible PRIMEX items, produced in the P2702 set with 5 tank cars for only one year! (1989)
Enjoy
jvuye attached the following image(s):
144021.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2015 18:12:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Hi Mike,

Sorry I came on a bit strong! This is one of my favourite locos because it's so unusual. I couldn't bear the thought of it being painted over!

Here's a photo of mine:

UserPostedImage

and here's a photo posed with my Br194 in the same livery:

UserPostedImage

BTW I've tidied up the wiring since that photo!
Ray
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2015 18:15:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Primex also made this set for an even more limited edition with the loco in DRG grey. I've never actually seen one of these for sale but I've heard they can fetch a lot of money!

UserPostedImage
Ray
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2015 18:22:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Primex also made this set for an even more limited edition with the loco in DRG grey. I've never actually seen one of these for sale but I've heard they can fetch a lot of money!

UserPostedImage

... and I have one of each of these Primex sets courtesy of warwick and warwick auctions ... Blushing

I hadn't realised that the set with the grey loco existed until I found the pair of them together in one lot at the auction. I have long wanted the original one with the Blue/cream loco, so the ebay seller wasn't getting that lot ... Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2015 19:12:11(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
ok ok you guys win i won't paint it. i honestly did not know how rare it was. i just figured because it was primex it wasn't all that rare. i paid $129.- us fore the set i think it was worth it??? one day i'll post photos of some REAL marklin vandalism iv'e committed in the past. maybe we have a new term here. mike
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2015 22:59:23(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
ok ok you guys win i won't paint it. i honestly did not know how rare it was. i just figured because it was primex it wasn't all that rare. i paid $129.- us fore the set i think it was worth it??? one day i'll post photos of some REAL marklin vandalism iv'e committed in the past. maybe we have a new term here. mike

Good for you!
As an ex-vandal myself, I can tell you how much solace can be found in respect! BigGrin

If you still have a hitch on adding some colours, why not correcting the original paint to reflect the white stripe at the bottom of the body?

See?
I still have an inkling! Laugh

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Nigel Packer  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2015 23:21:06(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

I have the grey one too. It was made in 1991, and there were only 1,000 sets made (which is a very small number for a Primex model). Koll's catalogue number for the set with the grey E44002 loco is P2702.91701. My one of these is in an opened Primex box. I try and find the Primex models in unopened boxes, and my normal 2702 set, with the blue/cream loco, has never been opened as it came from another collector in Germany who sold up in 2009.

They are nice models, and should be looked after!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2015 02:34:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

You made the right choice. Admittedly the paint scheme does look a bit sterile, you could always 'lightly' weather the front which might soften it a little, preferably with a technique that can be easily removed; chalk-dusting for example?

I too have the 2702 set with this Loco, I've always liked the E44's, have a couple of the Green ones, the first was really battered and I tried repainting that myself, it came up ok but the paint is soft or not enough coats so it will be revisited some time. The other one is pretty much original and will be left alone.

I think if you'd repainted such a good example you may well have regretted it down the track but even one of these as a junker still seems to get a good price, they are fun to restore, and a classic nice heavy loco.

Regards

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline analogmike  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2015 02:56:35(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Good for you!
As an ex-vandal myself, I can tell you how much solace can be found in respect! BigGrin

If you still have a hitch on adding some colours, why not correcting the original paint to reflect the white stripe at the bottom of the body?

See?
I still have an inkling! Laugh

Cheers

i'm not sure the stripe is white....i mean if the thing went into the paint booth, they probably just shot the stripe in ivory/cream as well as the nose in one step, right? hey cookee; boy you are right about heavy. i was surprised at how heavy it is for such a short lok! if i ever get robbed in my house i'll go for the "44". the most powerful hand lok in the world. it will take your head clean off. so what's it gonna.....sorry, i got caried away. mike
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2015 09:20:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This loco is so heavy that when I run it it makes a loud thumping noise at every track joint. No other loco in my collection does this.

BTW it's one of only four locos that I've kept analogue. The other three are a 3005 Br23, a 3001 E63, and my original CM800 Br89 from my childhood.

I'm getting another Primex set, 2704 with a DHG500 and foundry wagons, and that one will also stay analogue for now, mainly because I already have two other DHG500s with decoders.
Ray