Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2015 19:19:58(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Hi all!

Between 2001 and 2007, I was running the peter.funck.net site, mostly focusing on the "Märklin Digital for Dummies" section. I was also building a computer operated digital M track layout on a Swiss theme (the picture). The computer software, Railroad & Co, was on version 5.5 by then. The family moved, and I changed job, sold everything except the running stock!

Now I'm slowly starting to think Märklin MRR again. There will be opportunities for space in the house, this time I beliewve it will be C track: I would love to see the big SBB and BLS trains move ahead...! Now for my questions:

(1) What are the three major improvements for the Märklin MRR world since 2007?

(2) I used to get very good input, information and help from the Marklin-Users users... (great to see the site is still here!) Is there anyone left from "my" period?

BigGrin Peter
PeFu attached the following image(s):
Six_giants_in_Andreasvik.JPG
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2015 22:07:08(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Welcome back!

Per Z.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2015 22:31:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Peter,

I'm still here and there are a few others..

What's changed since 2007? Juhan is in the wagon building business - if you are quick you might pick up one of the last remaining 20th anniversary wagons.. Miss 8 is nearly Miss 16 - not much time for trains these days..

ECos and CS2 are probably the biggest change - greatly improved compared to the Intellibox of 2007.. Lars, of course, will lament the passing of the Lissy technology.. LOL Marklins digital signals are still awesome six or so years later..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2015 22:59:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Peter Funck Go to Quoted Post
Hi all!

(1) What are the three major improvements for the Märklin MRR world since 2007?

Well I guess you would have been aware of the cs1 and ms1 controllers, with mfx decoders. They would have just been around then.

So since then the development of the cs2 and ms2 as very much improved versions of the cs1 and ms1. And in the last couple of years the cs2 has had a software update that has added mfx+ which is a capability to have a cab view on the cs2 screen and it keeps track of coal, water, sand and various other consumables, along with 'dead mans handle' functions. The cs2 and ms2 are also multi-protocol in that they will handle mm2/mfx/mfx+ and DCC simultaneously.

Marklin has changed its ownership after being put into receivership. The new owners do appear to be proactive in improving marklin as a company.

They have produced a number of new models and retooled a good proportion of old models. The result is some very excellent models at quite good prices. There is also a completely new range of battery operated 'outline models' designed to be rugged for small people to handle who have no concept of fragility, have magnetic couplings, and some of the range have interchangeable bodies so today the loco can be a steam loco, tomorrow a diesel. The track is one piece plastic that is compatible with c track but very rugged. the controller is Infrared, so no wiring involved at all, and the kinder can play trains without parents worrying about having to supervise them.

There has been a range of signals come and go, and now there is a completely new range of signals starting to appear in the market place that are labelled as mfx compatible, but we don't really now what this involves yet.

To pick up on a lot of this, go to Marklins New Items download page and download the NI brochures from the time you have been away, and see what you have missed.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2015 12:15:07(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Welcome back.
I certainly seem to remember your name, although I cant pinpoint exact details just now. (Your attached photo rings a bell, though...)

Although onwer and digital contorllers on offer has changed, many other things remains the same.
F.x. rising prices and decreasing quality... lol (Just kidding)

You can now run DCC with the current digital controllers.
Motorization seems to unify around standard DC can motors.
It also seems that Märklin is going the center-motor-with-kardan-drive way of doing things.

If you havent visited a local hobby-shop for the last 8 years, you will probably discover that they are gone, almost all of them!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2015 14:34:00(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome back Peter.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2015 14:36:22(UTC)
Webmaster

Welcome home Peter, you have been missed. Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2015 17:54:28(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
A lot of things changed,our madness is the same,maybe worst.Wellcome back.Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Token  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2015 08:21:27(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi Peter,

welcome back. Though I lost my original log in, I think I had only just joined when you 'left'.

The only comment I would make in addition to the above is that the latest update on the CS2 includes an interface with your PC, without having to have additional hardware. It functions directly through your LAN, via your household wifi. A lot easier than perhaps you tought us some time ago.

The other aspect to the CS2 is the ability to recreate your layout on the CS2 screen, from which you can operate your points, uncouplers, accessories and train control directly via your s88. This has revolutionised MRR layout control for me.

Regards,

Michael.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Token
Offline Falconrep  
#10 Posted : 19 February 2015 16:48:04(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Pete,
I remember your site, I used it for ideas that never materialized. I too moved or was threatening a move for periods of time. I finally retired a couple years ago moved into my last home and "viola" finally got a layout. Using all the stuff I collected over the years. The layout is small, 4X8 2 level. It's "C" track and its using the older Mobile Station 60652.
Eventual plans call for me to be able to wire it for the older digital control as it works for 80 locos instead of 10 and even a non digital version for all my unconverted locos. But baby steps.
I'll post pictures to the forum once its presentable.
Thomas Wondrock
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Falconrep