Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2015 06:42:44(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Any info on a possible Marklin steamer DR 01.5,hopefully with rounded spokes?
If it comes,i will throw my Piko DR steamers in the bin!
Juhan,you were correct,the Piko driverods are absolute rubbish!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2015 10:21:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Narh don't do that Paul (though I agree with the sentiment).

I'm most likely going to remove the boiler/cab on mine and put it on a heavy crane in the maintenance yard, good potential for a interesting diorama.

I would sell it but I couldn't in good faith lumber someone else with it. I still think that stupid "C" connector to the tender is worst than the drive rods.

Unless I can find a donor 01/012 rolling chassis to graft it onto but I'm pretty sure it would limit the search to "tender drive" versions.

If "M" ever do a "Reko" version of the 01.5 I'd certainly put my hand up for one, think they look great. As does the Piko from a distance LOL
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2015 14:28:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
BR01.5 was rebuilt in 1962 after BR01.

I don't think BR01.5 for Borsig edition 4.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2015 16:09:46(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Narh don't do that Paul (though I agree with the sentiment).

I'm most likely going to remove the boiler/cab on mine and put it on a heavy crane in the maintenance yard, good potential for a interesting diorama.

I would sell it but I couldn't in good faith lumber someone else with it. I still think that stupid "C" connector to the tender is worst than the drive rods.

Unless I can find a donor 01/012 rolling chassis to graft it onto but I'm pretty sure it would limit the search to "tender drive" versions.

If "M" ever do a "Reko" version of the 01.5 I'd certainly put my hand up for one, think they look great. As does the Piko from a distance LOL

Shane,i have learned another hard lesson.
Could have spent 100 Euro or so on a nice M tenderloco like the 36740 instead.
The Piko driverods are extremely fragile,so is in fact the complete loco wheelset.
I now have a 01.5 Reko with rounded spokes and oiltender which is in tact for the moment.
Another one came out of the mail this week,a
01.5 Reko with standard spokes and coaltender,it came out of the carton with a brokencrosbolt on the middle drivewheel.
These crossbolts are made of thin plastic also.
On the Stummi forum i saw an old post about someone putting the Piko 01.5 boiler and cabin on the driveset of a Marklin 3085 03 steamer,commenting that it almost looked like Piko designed it to fit!
This leaves you with a Marklin tender having a different number as compared to the number on the cabin,not nice.

Looking at these old DDR Piko's,i really wonder how Piko were able to sell these at all.

Back to Marklin,waiting for the export brochure.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2015 16:31:38(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I don't know if it is reasobnable to do it, but in case it is only the rods and not the full valve gear, why not try to make new rods of metal (brass ?)?
Maybe other members in the forum can help you on that.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2015 19:50:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I remember seeing old Piko steamers at Gaugemasters in UK some 12 years ago and was not impressed with the look of the wheels and valve gear.

However, more recently I have seen some of the newer Piko steamers in shops in Luxembourg and Germany and the quality seems much better. Does anyone have any comments on the newer versions?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2015 19:52:51(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if it is reasobnable to do it, but in case it is only the rods and not the full valve gear, why not try to make new rods of metal (brass ?)?
Maybe other members in the forum can help you on that.

Dear Miguel,

It is the complete drive gear which stinks!
It is made of the wrong material for the job.

Coming back on Marklin 3085,perhaps the Piko tenderhood can be transferred to the Marklin tender.
In any event it remains an expensive solution.

I dare to say that i will stay clear from Piko for the rest of my life!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2015 20:03:04(UTC)
Webmaster

But... Piko of today is not what it was earlier, some even think they are great and when I see their new models there is absolute a big difference compared to the old ones.
I think Piko of today is in the same "class" as Roco, but not yet at Fleischmann/Märklin level.

But as I said in another topic, one of your Piko locos (the condenser one) put me off Piko back then and given the history I have
hard time mentally to accept that they might be ok nowadays. "Once bitten - twice shy" goes for Piko, but also Roco for me...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2015 20:32:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have to say that I'm quite happy with my Piko Electrics and Diesels. Apart from the fact that the bodies are plastic it's hard to tell which are Marklin and which are Piko.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Shamu  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2015 03:09:29(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
On the Stummi forum i saw an old post about someone putting the Piko 01.5 boiler and cabin on the driveset of a Marklin 3085 03 steamer,commenting that it almost looked like Piko designed it to fit!
This leaves you with a Marklin tender having a different number as compared to the number on the cabin,not nice.

Interesting Paul, I've got a 3085.

Will have to try and remember to have a look at it after we move and I unpack all the train gear. If it does make for a easy swap I'll start looking for a basket case 3085 to do a permanent swap of boiler/cab.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2015 04:33:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
I am very pleased with my recent venture into PIKO (thanks Ray for your past recommendations on the forum) with the DB 219 "U boot" and will source more from PIKO in future.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline NS1200  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2015 08:54:43(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I wonder whether the NEW Piko 01.5 steamers have better drivegear than the DDR models from the past.
I cannot find proper information on that.
Looking in the sparepartsection on the Piko website they still offer plastic drivebolts,oh dear.
If the NEW drivegear would be made of metal,i might consider buying it.

Funny to note that on Ebay.de various 01.5 boilers and motorised tenders are for sale,an indication that these came from loco's with destroyed drivegear.

Something else about the Piko website:
On the frontpage you can opt for various languages,including English and Dutch,nice.
However,when asking a question in English(!) about my DDR 01.5 i received a reply in German asking me to refrase my question in German!
So,i digged into my 60 year old memory,recalled the hard lessons in German when i was 17 or so,and tried again,no doubt with plenty grammar errors.
Piko replied saying i needed to despatch the loco to them in Germany for evaluation,impossible to say what the replacing of broken driverods would cost.
Knowing that the loco only costed me Euro 50.-,i do not think repair is an economical option,ahum.

The same trouble with the German language i recently had on Ebay.de,with a German seller pretending not to understand my complaint in English.
I will be the first to confirm that German is a beautiful language and that German people are fully entitled to speak German all the time.
But hey,come on,English is the language spoken in most parts of the world and indeed still the major language in trading.

Piko,wake up!