Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2015 20:43:04(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Hi, I'm going digital with the ms2. The ms2 control my trains fine. Now I'm hooking up my old m track switches using my old blue transformer. The switches work fine but the light in the switch doesn't light up. I know it's because there is no brown return from the track.

My question is, is it safe to hook up the blue transformer ground brown wire to the track at the same time with the ms2 brown wire attached. I don't want to fry anything.BigGrin
Offline rrf  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2015 13:37:08(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
My question is, is it safe to hook up the blue transformer ground brown wire to the track at the same time with the ms2 brown wire attached. I don't want to fry anything.BigGrin

Hello,

Whenever I use multiple transformers (digital and/or analog), I always create a common ground with the brown terminals. On my last "Tisch Bahn" layout, I had the brown from my MS2 connected to the brown from a transformerswhich was providing power for lighting.

One additional thought (which hopefully others will comment upon):

I was persuaded by folks on the forum to stop using my old Blue transformers and replace them with new ones. Apparently the older transformers start to have voltage tolerance problems that can damage some of the digital electronics on the newer locomotives. For lighting purposes only I believe you should be fine, though technically I must state that I have never used an old Blue transformer with a modern Märklin digital controller.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
H0
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2015 18:23:26(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Apparently the older transformers start to have voltage tolerance problems that can damage some of the digital electronics on the newer locomotives.
That is mainly an issue with the reversing voltage.
Another problem (with very old transformers) is mains voltage at the transformer case (brittle insulation).

With respect to light bulbs: increasing the voltage by 5% reduces the lifetime by half. A new transformer with a lower output voltage will save you some light bulb money (for countries that switched from 220 V to 230 V or from 110 V to 120 V).
Shouldn't make a difference if you replace the light bulbs with LEDs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage