Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2015 14:40:14(UTC)
db ice3

as my collection of tracks is beginning to build up, iv so far kept all the boxes that they come in. but they do take up quite a bit of room!

what do you suggest?

keep the boxes ( i do have space to store them ) or throw the boxes?

especially for things like track and points that all come in their own individual boxes.

whats best to do?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2015 14:52:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
as my collection of tracks is beginning to build up, iv so far kept all the boxes that they come in. but they do take up quite a bit of room!

what do you suggest?

especially for things like track and points that all come in their own individual boxes.

whats best to do?

Track boxes you should be able to 'flat pack' by opening the flaps on both ends and then letting the 'tube' collapse sideways. Then stack a number of them together and put a rubber band around them to keep them under control.

Locomotive and rolling stock boxes are harder to deal with because of the plastic inserts.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline db ice3  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2015 17:28:23(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

what do you suggest?

whats best to do?

Track boxes you should be able to 'flat pack' by opening the flaps on both ends and then letting the 'tube' collapse sideways. Then stack a number of them together and put a rubber band around them to keep them under control.

Locomotive and rolling stock boxes are harder to deal with because of the plastic inserts.

thats a great idea - ill do that!... and ill buy a crate to put the other empty boxes in!

curious to know what other folks do - im guessing keep the boxes?
Offline hennabm  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:04:39(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi

Alan gave a good idea for track boxes etc. Although some are glued and originality may be your thing if you ever wanted to reuse them as a box.

I keep all my empty boxes - just because......Blushing

Maybe one day I'll need to store all the track etc again - who knows.....Wink

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2015 18:46:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I keep boxes for locos and stock, but I don't bother keeping boxes for track or accessories.

If I ever dismantle the layout I'll just fill a big box with all the pieces of track until I need them again. The biggest headache is storing made-up kits, which never fit back in their original boxes!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2015 19:15:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Alan gave a good idea for track boxes etc. Although some are glued and originality may be your thing if you ever wanted to reuse them as a box.

I keep all my empty boxes - just because......Blushing

Maybe one day I'll need to store all the track etc again - who knows.....Wink

Mike

You don't need to break the glue along the side of the box. Once all the flaps at the ends are open then it will collapse sideways almost flat. The trick is to do it in a manner that has the corner with the glued edges go flat instead of being one of the corners folding back on itself.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2015 21:31:38(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
If you can manage the space, keep the empty boxes, flat-pack the rail boxes, but the for resale for my wife or kids one day, I keep every box for rolling stock since it does have a dramatic difference in the resale price. Plus if I ever move, it would be handy to transport them in.

Others obsess about scuff marks on the box, due to selling on ebay etc,
but great to know you have them OUT of the boxes and are using them.
That is most important of all!

Enjoy DBICE3!
Cheers
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2015 22:20:54(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
some people will actually buy the boxes, iv'e been to mea swapmeets where one gentleman was getting $1.00us for 70's-80's passenger car boxes. i wouldn't quit my day job but it's an idea. mike
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline db ice3  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2015 23:41:01(UTC)
db ice3

thats great - thanks everyone for the replies and advice - ill hold onto the boxes and keep them in a plastic crate just in case!

thanks once again!
Offline GlennM  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2015 23:58:14(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Just a couple of thoughts regarding keeping the boxes;

1) If you need to move or store your trains they will be invaluable
2) If you ever come to sell any items I think if can be said with certainty that they will sell better in the original boxes, they may bring a better price, and it makes shipping them easier.
3) I can confirm that the plastic / polystyrene inserts can absorb substantial shocks arising from accidents that often happen. Better to have a damaged insert than a damaged loco. [Please do not try this at home]
4) If you ever do come to store items for any reason the interlocking plastic inserts and polystyrene, are very good at preventing casual water ingress, and no I would not like to elaborate further Blink

So I would say it is definitely worth the effort to try and keep all the packaging that you can, including the inserts.

BR

Glenn

PS: As for my empty boxes, the items that are not on the layout are stored in their boxes, and those items on the layout, the empty boxes are stored under the layout for easy access. I have even purchased a couple of empty boxes off Ebay to put a couple of locos in which did not have original boxes. I even have two locos in mismatched boxes, as I feel they are safer carefully packaged in a mismatch box than in newspaper or tissue paper.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 04 February 2015 11:09:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Although I generally agree with Glenn, I have to say that my experience of having to take all locos and stock out of their boxes every time I wanted a different train on the layout led me to invest in chests of shallow drawers which I keep under the layout. Now all my locos and most of my coaches and wagons live in these drawers and the empty boxes are stored behind them. Apart from getting a little bit more dusty the locos and wagons generally suffer less damage from handling than they did when they were in their boxes, and the boxes themselves suffer no damage at all!

Apart from convenience I was also concerned at the scuffing on the corners of locos and stock caused by rubbing on the plastic or polystyrene inserts. Some of my locos have quite noticeable damage from this.

Ray
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2015 11:54:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Although I generally agree with Glenn, I have to say that my experience of having to take all locos and stock out of their boxes every time I wanted a different train on the layout led me to invest in chests of shallow drawers which I keep under the layout. Now all my locos and most of my coaches and wagons live in these drawers and the empty boxes are stored behind them. Apart from getting a little bit more dusty the locos and wagons generally suffer less damage from handling than they did when they were in their boxes, and the boxes themselves suffer no damage at all!

Apart from convenience I was also concerned at the scuffing on the corners of locos and stock caused by rubbing on the plastic or polystyrene inserts. Some of my locos have quite noticeable damage from this.

Ray,

Interesting observations, I know you rotate stock with more frequency than I do. I do have concerns over rubbing.

Would you say the white felt like fabric that comes with some models helps protect against the rubbing or not?

I would say that if the plastic inserts become loose or damaged they are not much use and I can imagine them being more of a hindrance.

BR

Glenn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2015 13:03:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Ray,

Interesting observations, I know you rotate stock with more frequency than I do. I do have concerns over rubbing.

Would you say the white felt like fabric that comes with some models helps protect against the rubbing or not?

I would say that if the plastic inserts become loose or damaged they are not much use and I can imagine them being more of a hindrance.

BR

Glenn

It's difficult to say whether the felt pads help or not. Some loco boxes don't bring them, or they have been lost in the past. When they are fitted I find that there is less movement, but the packaging is also sometimes too tight. I have had felt pads with quite a lot of colour on them from the loco body.

The plastic inserts are also very fragile, especially if they have been exposed to the light in the past and have gone yellow. When you open and close them repeatedly they break at the folds. Many of my inserts are now held together with sticky tape, often on more than one corner.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2015 14:14:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

BR

Glenn

I have a 3649 GM Demonstrator F7 ABA set where the shield painted on the nose of the loco has rub marks and damage because it doesn't have the cotton protector, and has rubbed directly on the plastic insert.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Janne75  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2015 17:02:48(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I don't store any locos or rolling stock in their boxes. It's too difficult to change them on the layout. I have found out that it's best to store this stuff in vitrines on my train room walls. Then I have many chests of drawers under my layout for remaining rolling stock.

I always keep the boxes as they are valuable if I ever want to sell some of them. These boxes takes a huge space when there is over 150-200 of them. I have all digital loco boxes in our living room closet and old red and lightblue 1960's boxes inside of a vitrine in my train room. Then I have two big cardboard boxes full of newer analog and Delta loco boxes in my garage.

All my starter sets, train sets and wagon sets boxes are also stored in these places. I don't have so many separate loco boxes, but maybe around 100 of them. All stored in my train room under my layout.

I even keep all my C-track boxes and bridge part boxes stored in my garage. I have one big box of only Roco wagon boxes...

I have basically only thrown away some Märklin My World signal boxes and turnout decoder/motor/lantern boxes.

It takes a huge space to store all above. I think I have found out a good way to do it anyway! ThumpUp

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Ausipeet  
#16 Posted : 05 February 2015 02:53:42(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
If any would like to dispose of any of thier older track boxes for M track i would gladly pay to have them posted to Australia
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 05 February 2015 08:36:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
If any would like to dispose of any of thier older track boxes for M track i would gladly pay to have them posted to Australia

Sorry Pete, about 50 years too late for my M track boxes! BigGrin

Until I was in my teens I actually thought Marklin trains came in biscuit tins....BigGrin

I still have a lot of my old M track, but it now lives in a shoe box, somewhere in the depths of my box room. I haven't disposed of it for sentimental reasons.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline pab  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2015 09:59:36(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I kept the boxes for the locomotives and the other Rolling stock. I also kept a lot of boxes for my wiking and other trucks and cars. Stored under my lay-out. Over the years i throw away the other boxes. Most of the boxes are empty, but Some never used loco's are back in their boxes. So is my collection of museum cars.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by pab
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 05 February 2015 14:00:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
For those who keep their rolling stock out of boxes because they run it, but need to take it off the track and don't have Ians array of vitrines to store it in, then when you are passing somewhere that is being renovated look out for the sponge plastic stuff that is used to protect the edges of demountable partitions, doors and table tops during transport. It comes in two widths that work nicely for HO and N model trains. Do ask before grabbing it though, because it does get returned to the factory to be re-used on the next delivery.

it is also useful for holding items during maintenance.
kiwiAlan attached the following image(s):
Train Carrier.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline biedmatt  
#20 Posted : 05 February 2015 14:08:39(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Be careful what you put against your nice painted rolling stock. Many products are petroleum based and will in time, damage the paint. Put polypro or polyethyl between your beloved Marklin items and any packaging material. This after all, what M does now.

http://www.dtmagazine.com/polyvspoly.html

For the M sets that were directly packed in styrofoam, I bought from the guy above. Didn't wish to play craps with my M stuff and a product from China. As we have seen all to often here, once the QC guys go out the door, the product goes to hell, ie: lead paint on children's toys or dog food that kills the dog. All documented events here in US of A with Chinese products.

Also, read the bold type note, first paragraph this link:
http://www.reboxx.com/accessories.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2...?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I am not trying to be a Chinese bashing buy only USA products, I get a lot from China. There are just times when a bit of prudence seems wise.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline GlennM  
#21 Posted : 05 February 2015 14:57:26(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
For those who keep their rolling stock out of boxes because they run it, but need to take it off the track and don't have Ians array of vitrines to store it in, then when you are passing somewhere that is being renovated look out for the sponge plastic stuff that is used to protect the edges of demountable partitions, doors and table tops during transport. It comes in two widths that work nicely for HO and N model trains. Do ask before grabbing it though, because it does get returned to the factory to be re-used on the next delivery.

it is also useful for holding items during maintenance.

I paid €uros 6 per piece at Eurospoor Angry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM