Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AndrewBrincat  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2015 00:30:26(UTC)
AndrewBrincat

Malta   
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase the 2014 Santa Fe Super Chief 26946 soon. Does anyone have this set? If so can you kindly give me some reviews? :) Would the Big Boy or the Marklin 26495 be a better purchase?

Thanks!
Andrew
Offline Brakeman  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2015 03:29:32(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hello,

EMD F7 is basically 1960's tooling and construction. It's kind of toyish and represents well the hobby 50 years ago.
Alco PA and BigBoy are from early 2000's, being very well detailed with nice running gear.

Anyway, it's all about what you like,
Juha

Originally Posted by: AndrewBrincat Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase the 2014 Santa Fe Super Chief 26946 soon. Does anyone have this set? If so can you kindly give me some reviews? :) Would the Big Boy or the Marklin 26495 be a better purchase?

Thanks!
Andrew

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2015 06:31:46(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
If I had to choose between the Santa Fe Super Chief and the Montreal Limited, I would get the Montreal Limited. I just like the looks so much better.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2015 08:44:53(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have 37993 Big Boy,26496 Super Chief and 26495 Montreal Limited,i have all the double Alcos.I am collecting mostly USA locomotives and wagons.I was very pleased with their quality but as you can read in another topic in digital thread of the forum the decoder of the 26496 Super Chief after seven mounths suddenly died.I have no answer from marklin's service department but anyway this situation is a very bad message for me and for my opinion about marklin's guality level.I will wait for the sollution of my problem by marklin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2015 16:02:48(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
It seems (to be confirmed by Foumaro) that for both, 26496 Super Chief and 26490 Wabash Blue Bird sets, the interior lighting power is provided by the loco pick-up shoe and fed to the passenger train via a plug connection between loco and first car. I read in a German forum that when operating either loco without the train, there is a risk that the plug dangling from the back of the loco might contact the (always powered) rails, which could lead to a damage. This risk does not exist with any "stand-alone" loco model.

BTW: I collect exclusively US models, focusing on Santa Fe and thus having many Santa Fe EMD F7 delta or digital versions plus the Santa Fe Alco PA double-unit. In my view, the EMD F7 does not look toyish any more when "reworking" couplers. In the case of the 26496 SC, the EMD F7 A and B units are already close-coupled with a draw bar. If the rear B unit still had a "long-distance" RELEX coupler (Foumaro to confirm again), it could be replaced by a coupler hook (standard Maerklin spare part 216220) which leads to a very nice close-coupling effect on all curve radii. I did this to my "rear B units". Leaves the ugly front coupler of the A unit. Maybe a solution: Another forum member managed to replace the front coupler of the new Maerklin 39620 SOO EMD F7 A-B-B by a prototypical Kadee coupler.

Edited by user 04 February 2015 11:58:22(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline witzlerh  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2015 00:21:52(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have the 26490 Wabash BlueBird set. The power for the car lights do come from the lok but it is run through their powered couplers. There are no plugs. The current draw is sufficient that Marklin installed a relay because the current is too much for the decoder to handle alone.

I enjoy the Bluebird set. It looks nice with my VIA Canadian by Rapido.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2015 08:26:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
The current draw is sufficient that Marklin installed a relay because the current is too much for the decoder to handle alone.
There are other sets without relay where the current for the couplers comes from the decoder.
A repair person told me there is an overload/overcurrent protection on the loco board - but with the wrong parts allowing more current than the decoder output can handle. IIRC he was talking about the Super Chief.

Connecting a tin-plate car to the loco can kill the decoder (output) as soon as you turn on the lights - for those locos without relay.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2015 08:49:05(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
It seems (to be confirmed by Foumaro) that for both, 26496 Super Chief and 26490 Wabash Blue Bird sets, the interior lighting power is provided by the loco pick-up shoe and fed to the passenger train via a plug connection between loco and first car. I read it a German forum that when operating either loco without the train, there is a risk that the plug dangling from the back of the loco might contact the (always powered) rails, which could lead to a damage. This risk does not exist with any "stand-alone" loco model.

BTW: I collect exclusively US models, focusing on Santa Fe and thus having many Santa Fe EMD F7 delta or digital versions plus the Santa Fe Alco PA double-unit. In my view, the EMD F7 does not look toyish any more when "reworking" couplers. In the case of the 26496 SC, the EMD F7 A and B units are already close-coupled with a draw bar. If the rear B unit still had a "long-distance" RELEX coupler (Foumaro to confirm again), it could be replaced by a coupler hook (standard Maerklin spare part 216220) which leads to a very nice close-coupling effect on all curve radii. I did this to my "rear B units". Leaves the ugly front coupler of the A unit. Maybe a solution: Another forum member managed to replace the front coupler of the new Maerklin 39620 SOO EMD F7 A-B-B by a prototypical Kadee coupler.

Yes the interior lighting for the cars is provided by the loco but this special coupler is faraway from the rails so i think is impossible to have problem.Without this is impossible to have lights unless you put a pick up shoe to the last wagon.This is the way that the 26600 California Zephyr.a similar set working.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro