Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2015 01:00:03(UTC)
db ice3

hello everyone,

im looking for a shunting loco, either diesel of electric and wondered if marklin make a model with a remote uncoupler?

just so i can couple and uncouple anywhere rather than just on an uncoupling ramp.

thanks very much for any advice / pointers
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2015 01:06:50(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Jay. I just received in December the V60 DB Diesel 37600 with digital telex couplers. It's excellent as a shunting Lok, which of course is what

it was made for. I would greatly recommend it. Cheers,Peter Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline foumaro  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2015 08:21:48(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have marklin 37615 BR 260 a perfect loco.No sounds but who cares?She is doing her job in a perfect way.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2015 09:10:23(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Yes have to agree, a V60/260 would be the way to go. ThumpUp

Just make sure you get one with the TELEX couplers.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2015 10:38:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There are several variants of the V60/Br260/261/361 with Telex. You can go for Era III in old red, Era IV in Blue/cream, or Era V in Traffic red.

For a heavier shunting diesel you could also opt for the V90/Br290/Br294. I have the 37907 in Blue/cream also with Telex couplers and it looks very impressive next to a V60!

If you want to go smaller instead there is the Kof III shunter in red or blue/cream. These have Telex fitted as well.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2015 10:57:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
im looking for a shunting loco, either diesel of electric and wondered if marklin make a model with a remote uncoupler?
There are dozens of models with different types of Telex couplers.

The old-style Telex couplers work well with loop-and-hook couplers (Relex).

The newer Telex couplers work well with close couplers.

Which type of couplers do you use with your freight cars?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline db ice3  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2015 12:14:46(UTC)
db ice3

oh wow, thankyou sooo much everyone!

i had no idea there was actually this much choice in shunting locos with a " telex " / remote uncoupler!.

how does the coupler work? is via a command on the controller?

im liking ALL of the locos that you have all suggested!!! ... now theres a new problem! - which one! ( if only i could afford to buy one of each!!! - but i cant so i need to make a decsion!)

HO - im running a selection of the newer marklin wagons - i only have 6 wagons at the moment, ( bought 3 more last night! ) plus a little glaskasten set with a carriage, a wagon and a loco! ( newby here ).

i do like the modern liveries, but the older earlier era are very appealing too!

ulitimately i think ill end up going modern - the glaskasten set i bought because its just so cute, came with a display rail and is just a lovely ( to me! ) little piece - all in white!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline DamonKelly  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2015 12:24:40(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
I've always thought the variations on the V60 are the perfect shunter -- they look like a shunter!
The Köf versions are cute, but they just don't look serious enough for me.

I have 37652 (BR 362, current version of the former V60).

It works fine with the CS2, and (I think) the MS1/2. There is an icon to press to activate the uncoupler. I think it's an ON/OFF state thing -- it's been a while since I had it out Blushing
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2015 13:29:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If you need some visual inspiration, here are my shunting locos with Telex. I've added the OBB 2048 which I'd forgotten about. There are also DB versions of this, the V100/BR212.

Kof II from the 26340 set
UserPostedImage

37650 V60
UserPostedImage

37616 Br261
UserPostedImage

37907 Br290
UserPostedImage

37001 OBB 2048
UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline db ice3  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2015 15:00:46(UTC)
db ice3

RayF

your pics are absolutely stunning! - thanks soooo much for posting - unfortunately its just making me want to have all the locos that you have!!! ... but sadly thats out of my price reach for the time being - i need to settle on 1 loco.

im liking them all of course, but i think the larger shunter with sound would be interesting to have - i dont have any sound locos ( only have 1 loco at the mo - the little white glaskasten ) so to have a sound loco might be interesting to run.

they seem to be around the 250eu mark, would that be about right price to pay for a sound equiped shunter?

im looking at

this one

what your thoughts?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2015 15:02:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post

ulitimately i think ill end up going modern - the glaskasten set i bought because its just so cute, came with a display rail and is just a lovely ( to me! ) little piece - all in white!

Oh, that is known as the 'Wedding Train' and was the Nurnberg Toy Show train for 1995 IIRC, after Marklin took over Trix as of Jan 1st. The train was available in both Marklin and Trix versions.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline db ice3  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2015 15:21:17(UTC)
db ice3

well - iv done it and thanks for all your help in this! ...

i was in german ebay and bought from a seller in munich!.

i actually called the place and although replying that he spoke only a little english ... ( they are sooo modest! ) - his english was absolutely perfect and he was utterly delightful and could not have been more helpful - a pleasure to deal with!.

iv ordered the loco 37863, a little red shunter with the telex couplings front and rear and sound functions too!.

i thought the price of 165 uk pounds plus 17euro posting to uk was very reasonable - and he said the loco will be packed today and sent out tomorrow!.

im looking forward now to doing a little shunting with my wagons and thankyou you everyone for beong so helpful!.

i have one more question! - i see the telex couplers can be bought as a separate item - can they be fitted to any loco with a decoder? ( my little glaskasten has the older style decoder with miniature switches inside it to set it. ( can this decoder drive the telex couplers? )

once again - such a great group of people you all are and RayF - your pics are stunning.-thankyou for encouraging me to spend just under 200.00 in the blink of an eye hehe -)))
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by db ice3
Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2015 16:26:03(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Nice choise,enjoy the new loco.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline db ice3  
#14 Posted : 02 February 2015 18:00:59(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jay. I just received in December the V60 DB Diesel 37600 with digital telex couplers. It's excellent as a shunting Lok, which of course is what

it was made for. I would greatly recommend it. Cheers,Peter Cool

hi!...

iv just bought 37863 which i think is similar to yours, im excited about its arrival and having a " play " with it!.

thanks for pointing me in the direction of this lovely little engine!

Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2015 18:08:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Well chosen, Jay! It looks like a great little shunter.

To answer your question, yes the Märklin telex couplers can be bought separately, and they can be fitted to any loco with NEM coupler sockets. You would need a decoder with spare function outputs capable of driving the couplers. It is possible, with a little skill, to convert virtually any loco to Telex using these, but it's not a job for a newbie, I would say, especially for a small loco like a Glaskasten.

Others could give more advice if you want to give this a try.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline db ice3  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2015 18:24:29(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Well chosen, Jay! It looks like a great little shunter.

To answer your question, yes the Märklin telex couplers can be bought separately, and they can be fitted to any loco with NEM coupler sockets. You would need a decoder with spare function outputs capable of driving the couplers. It is possible, with a little skill, to convert virtually any loco to Telex using these, but it's not a job for a newbie, I would say, especially for a small loco like a Glaskasten.

Others could give more advice if you want to give this a try.

thats great to know, thanks!

is there a place in uk that does after-market work on Marklin locos?

im thinking the little glaskasten - would it be possible to send it somewhere to have a sound decoder and the telex couplers fitted to it - would be amazing to see it uncouple itself etc

not sure if there be space for a tiny speaker + the decoder too...

if anyone knows - id love to hear about it!

Offline Angus  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2015 11:31:21(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hi Jay

I think Roco did a two rail version of the Glaskasten with sound, so it would seem that it is possible to fit sound in it. I guess it would depend on the internal layout of the Marklin one. I have a Glaskasten too, one of my favourites, but I have not opened it up so wouldn't be able to tell you about available space inside.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline db ice3  
#18 Posted : 03 February 2015 13:39:21(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jay

I think Roco did a two rail version of the Glaskasten with sound, so it would seem that it is possible to fit sound in it. I guess it would depend on the internal layout of the Marklin one. I have a Glaskasten too, one of my favourites, but I have not opened it up so wouldn't be able to tell you about available space inside.

they certainly do / did!...

what a pity i cant find a 3 rail version / conversion of this ...

is it possible / difficult to rewire the 2 rail into a 3 rail?

adding a pick up shoe, wire the left + right existing pickups together and the rewire to the decoder?

im okies with wiring actually - although im very new to marklin, iv had 2 rail dc for a long time and had hornby zero1 when it came out a little while ago!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin so i understand the principle behind the wiring - although ac motors are a new uncovered area for me!

i love this little loco! :-

the roco 2 rail glaskasten with sound!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by db ice3