Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2015 08:00:49(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
After many many readings I think I'm ready to jump into the digital world. I have a small layout (8 ft x 8 ft) and want to run no more than three trains at once.

I plan to convert my 3048 to digital first and gain some experience before working on the others. Here is a list of what I think I need:

60653 MS2
60113 Connector Box
66365 Power Pack for 60113
60944 Motor conversion for 3048
60945 Sound Decoder

Do I miss anything or pick the wrong equipment?

I read the descriptions for Sound Decoder 60945 and 60965. But it is not clear which one I should use.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2015 08:32:50(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I read the descriptions for Sound Decoder 60945 and 60965. But it is not clear which one I should use.
IMHO the 6094x decoders are the better choice for analogue locos with the mechanical reverse unit.
The 6096x series might be better for locos with limited space (no MRU) or 8-pin decoder socket.

For flicker-free headlights you might want to go for new bulb holders (and new light bulbs) or for LEDs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2015 09:45:31(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi,

Beware ! The 3048 has a non standard brush-plate, the 60944 kit won't fit.

I've converted mine with a permanent magnet from ESU adapted for LFCM motors: 51960, and kept the original 3 pole motor and brush-plate.

The 3048 is not listed in the booklet :
(copy and paste this url in another tab of your browser; don't click on it)
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60944_betrieb.pdf

When the motor is converted, you may use a decoder of your choice (see Tom's advice)

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2015 10:42:59(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello,

Dale indicated this reference in 2009 (it shows the magnet to which Fabrice referred):

http://modeltrain.serveh...stalling_digital_decoder

(see his post#4 in https://www.marklin-user...nversion.aspx#post64343)

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
H0
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2015 11:12:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Fabrice,

I have recently bought a Primex 3193 which is the same (I believe) as the 3048. I have on order a Lokpilot set with Hamo magnet for its conversion.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2015 11:22:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
I've converted mine with a permanent magnet from ESU adapted for LFCM motors: 51960, and kept the original 3 pole motor and brush-plate.
Märklin Magazin wrote that MLD and MSD are not suitable for three-pole motors with HAMO magnets.
So if you buy an ESU magnet, better get an ESU decoder to go with it.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Johnvr  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2015 11:31:09(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello,

The conversion using the 60944 and 60945 can work nicely in the 3048.
As mentioned, the 60944 plate does not fit perfectly but a simple cut of the one corner will allow it to fit snugly enough, so it is actually ok.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Johnvr  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2015 12:01:15(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi .. hit the send button too quickly ..

Wanted to add .. this conversion which you are contemplating is fairly complex in the digital conversion space.

An easier conversion to start with would be using a more modern locomotive which has enough room inside the main body to fit a decoder, and try a straight forward 60760 decoder (decoder + motor). Consider maybe an electric loco or a diesel loco which has a Delta motor if you have, to start off.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2015 06:30:27(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Beware ! The 3048 has a non standard brush-plate, the 60944 kit won't fit.

The 3048 is not listed in the booklet :
(copy and paste this url in another tab of your browser; don't click on it)
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60944_betrieb.pdf

When the motor is converted, you may use a decoder of your choice (see Tom's advice)

Cheers
Fabrice

Hi Fabrice,

The url doesn't work. Confused

Thank you.
Offline amartinezv  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2015 07:12:48(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Copy and paste

++http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/60944_betrieb.pdf++

best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#11 Posted : 09 February 2015 03:51:54(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
After reading all the comments and suggestions, I'm leaning toward converting my 3082 instead of the 3048. I also like the sound of the steam engine so I'm skipping the 60760 motor + decoder combo and go with the 60941 and 60945 mSD.

I'm not sure if all that would fit into the coal car since there isn't much room in the main body and it is where the mechanical reverse switch resides.

Have anybody done this on the 3082?

Thank you.
Offline abisel  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2015 03:39:05(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I did a 3048 digital conversion:

UserPostedImage

I don't have any other pictures but can take some if you wish.

I found a kit on ebay.de for the 3048 which included the motor plate, a 5-pole armature, permanent magnet, chokes and screws. I believe the kit number was 60904 but had a special motor plate for the 3048 and it was out of production. I think I got lucky finding this old kit.

With an ESU 51968 21MTC adapter I located a hole in the PCB in just the right place so as not to short out any of the traces on the PCB and attached it to the existing post used for the reversing relay.

Using some prototyping PCB, I fabricated a PCB for the headlight using a solder type bulb socket. To mount the assembly, I had to drill/tap a hole for the screw. Another piece of prototyping PCB was used to attach common grounds, headlight power and a 2-conductor plug for the smoke generator (black wires with white trace). The positive of the smoke generator was attached to AUX 3 of the 21MTC adapter. You cannot use chassis ground for the smoke generator so you will need to get a Seuthe 12 (it came with a fiber smoke stack) with wire leads and connect a 2-conductor lead with socket to mate to the 2-conductor lead plug from the 21MTC. I found these small plug/socket wiring at the local hobby store.

I mounted the speaker in the tender. Had to cut some of the plastic away to make room for the speaker and wiring which is a 4-conductor plug/socket assembly. I used a 4-conductor cable thinking I may want to add reversing lights to the tender.

All the wiring is PTFE 28ga from these guys Bulk Wire and you can get the colors to match the Marklin color scheme.

It works great and sounds great.

The only issue is the smoke generator. Removing and reinstalling the shell requires unplugging/plugging the 2-conductor cable and after several removals/installations, the small leads on the smoke generator broke. I think I need to come up with a different way to make electrical connections to the smoke generator. Maybe use another light bulb socket and just plug the leads of the generator into the socket just like the light bulb leads but it would have to be located right where the screw is located for the light bulb PCB. Some more thinking required on how to insulate the smoke generator from chassis.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by abisel
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2015 09:16:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: abisel Go to Quoted Post
I did a 3048 digital conversion:

UserPostedImage

I don't have any other pictures but can take some if you wish.

I found a kit on ebay.de for the 3048 which included the motor plate, a 5-pole armature, permanent magnet, chokes and screws. I believe the kit number was 60904 but had a special motor plate for the 3048 and it was out of production. I think I got lucky finding this old kit.

With an ESU 51968 21MTC adapter I located a hole in the PCB in just the right place so as not to short out any of the traces on the PCB and attached it to the existing post used for the reversing relay.

Using some prototyping PCB, I fabricated a PCB for the headlight using a solder type bulb socket. To mount the assembly, I had to drill/tap a hole for the screw. Another piece of prototyping PCB was used to attach common grounds, headlight power and a 2-conductor plug for the smoke generator (black wires with white trace). The positive of the smoke generator was attached to AUX 3 of the 21MTC adapter. You cannot use chassis ground for the smoke generator so you will need to get a Seuthe 12 (it came with a fiber smoke stack) with wire leads and connect a 2-conductor lead with socket to mate to the 2-conductor lead plug from the 21MTC. I found these small plug/socket wiring at the local hobby store.

I mounted the speaker in the tender. Had to cut some of the plastic away to make room for the speaker and wiring which is a 4-conductor plug/socket assembly. I used a 4-conductor cable thinking I may want to add reversing lights to the tender.

All the wiring is PTFE 28ga from these guys Bulk Wire and you can get the colors to match the Marklin color scheme.

It works great and sounds great.

The only issue is the smoke generator. Removing and reinstalling the shell requires unplugging/plugging the 2-conductor cable and after several removals/installations, the small leads on the smoke generator broke. I think I need to come up with a different way to make electrical connections to the smoke generator. Maybe use another light bulb socket and just plug the leads of the generator into the socket just like the light bulb leads but it would have to be located right where the screw is located for the light bulb PCB. Some more thinking required on how to insulate the smoke generator from chassis.

Nice conversion!

I did a similar Primex 3193 this week, but chose to go with the ESU Lokpilot V4 and Hamo magnet, keeping the original motor armature and brush plate, as I was aware that the standard 60944 kit does not fit properly on this loco.

My conversion went fairly well until I tried to get the loco body back on. I just could not find a position for the chokes which didn't foul the inside of the boiler/firebox/cab. In the end I just removed them and connected the wires directly to the motor terminals. I think the original brush plate doesn't give enough clearance, so I might try to fit the chokes closer to the decoder and extend wires from them.

I'm happy now with the performance of the loco, but I found it hard to get a good CV setting for this motor, as usually seems to happen for me with the Lokpilot V4 decoders. I used to find the V3 much easier to program. I try to stick to Marklin motor and decoder kits where they are available, for the ability to just stick the bits in and watch it work flawlessly!
Ray
Offline Nigel Packer  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2015 14:41:32(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
The correct motor upgrade parts for a 3048, or an F800, or Primex 3193, etc, are provided by Märklin as part number E188838.

This set is available to order from Märklin dealers, or on German eBay at a considerable mark-up in price! The set of parts cost me 14 Euros from my dealer in Germany (just a couple of weeks ago), but they are 40 Euros or more on eBay.

I can confirm that the parts fit and work extremely well. Obviously, you need to buy a decoder as well, a Märklin mLD or mSD, or an ESU equivalent would be suitable.

I have just upgraded a Primex 3193 so far, but I'm going to do an old F800 when I have time.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 24 February 2015 15:31:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
The correct motor upgrade parts for a 3048, or an F800, or Primex 3193, etc, are provided by Märklin as part number E188838.

This set is available to order from Märklin dealers, or on German eBay at a considerable mark-up in price! The set of parts cost me 14 Euros from my dealer in Germany (just a couple of weeks ago), but they are 40 Euros or more on eBay.

I can confirm that the parts fit and work extremely well. Obviously, you need to buy a decoder as well, a Märklin mLD or mSD, or an ESU equivalent would be suitable.

I have just upgraded a Primex 3193 so far, but I'm going to do an old F800 when I have time.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

I suspect this kit became available when Marklin produced their own 30080 digital version of the old tooling Br01. Previously there was no way to get the Marklin 5 pole motor to fit without chopping the brush plate about. It's a shame I wasn't aware of this kit a couple of weeks ago. I would much rather have gone this route instead of the Lokpilot and Hamo magnet combination. However, there's no point in changing a working loco at this point.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline abisel  
#16 Posted : 24 February 2015 23:42:46(UTC)
abisel

United States   
The kit E188838 is currently listed on ebay.de at around 35 to 55 euro but shipping may be an issue outside Europe unless you bought something else from them.

The kit pictured on ebay.de is what I had purchased some time ago to convert my 3048.

I am going to ask AJCKids to see if he can get the kit as I have a couple other locos I would like to convert.

Here are a few more pictures of my conversion:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by abisel