Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2014 00:04:06(UTC)
mb300e4m

Bought these today at a train show. Cost for all four $22. Die-casting is all good, bodies are good, roofs are dusty and are missing a few ventilators. Two of the 353 Schlafwagens do not have numbers. Two of the four have diecast bogie side frames and the other two are stamped steel. They were a good buy at that price, I could not refuse them. The seller was asking $12 each, so we haggled until we agreed on $22 for all of them.

I also bought 3 PIKO four wheel DR coaches and two PIKO four wheel baggage cars, all boxed and in good condition. Not bad pickings for where I live.

Topic moved from 'Steam' to the Collector's Corner.

Edited by moderator 07 November 2014 08:16:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mb300e4m attached the following image(s):
P7124739.JPG
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2014 07:59:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
Bought these today at a train show. Cost for all four $22. Die-casting is all good, bodies are good, roofs are dusty and are missing a few ventilators. Two of the 353 Schlafwagens do not have numbers. Two of the four have diecast bogie side frames and the other two are stamped steel. They were a good buy at that price, I could not refuse them. The seller was asking $12 each, so we haggled until we agreed on $22 for all of them.

I also bought 3 PIKO four wheel DR coaches and two PIKO four wheel baggage cars, all boxed and in good condition. Not bad pickings for where I live.

For $22 this is the steal of the year!
Good for you.
The dark red version is a bit rarer, but it seems to have the wrong roof (of a 352 Speisewagen)
Be careful with the die cast bogie, I have rarely seen one that did not suffer from Zinkpest, so handle with care.
Also often wheels will be "loose" on their axle, agan a zinkpest manifestation.
For the missing vents, no trouble, they are available from Ritter https://www.ritter-resta...Key=1.7;artID=1877;typ=1
and so are the side of bogies and replacement wheels.
However, they will cost you several times the $22 you paid!!
Enjoy!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Tom Jessop  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2014 11:38:55(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Wonderful buy at that price. Is the 354 parcels van a very dark green or a blackish colour ? Very hard to tell in the picture .

Cheers Tom in Oz. With 6 weeks to retirement .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2014 18:26:46(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Wonderful buy at that price. Is the 354 parcels van a very dark green or a blackish colour ? Very hard to tell in the picture .

Hi Tom, the baggage is a dark green. It is the worst condition of the four. It is dirty, has a few paint chips and some rust spots on the metal bogie side frames. Here is a close-up picture.

Oops, I just noticed that I posted in the Steam folder and should have posted one level up. I hope no-one minds, perhaps Admin can move it? Sorry.

Peter B.
mb300e4m attached the following image(s):
P7134742.JPG
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2014 18:41:34(UTC)
mb300e4m

I checked my Access database and found I have 20 of this series. Well I could rationalize this my saying that they don't make these anymore. I also had four or five SK800s to go with them, but I am down to one.

CATALOG NUMBER DESCRIPTION
351 Second Class Green
351 Second Class Green
351 Second Class Green
352 Mitropa Dining Car
352 Mitropa Dining Car
352 Mitropa Dining Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
353 Mitropa Sleeping Car
354 Baggage, Green
354 Baggage, Green
354 Baggage, Green
354 Baggage, Green
354 Baggage, Green

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2014 06:31:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Hi Tom, the baggage is a dark green. It is the worst condition of the four. It is dirty, has a few paint chips and some rust spots on the metal bogie side frames. Here is a close-up picture.

Oops, I just noticed that I posted in the Steam folder and should have posted one level up. I hope no-one minds, perhaps Admin can move it? Sorry.

Peter B.

Good score Peter, those Baggage cars for some reason always seem to be in worse condition than the others, I too have a few of this series, they just kind of came my way, but I quite like them, the really scream "Märklin" and are good runners. Often the best thing you can do is to carefully remove and strip the trucks, give them a good clean, smallest drop of oil on the side-plate pivot and the axles and they will run smoothly and (relatively) quiet.

$22, for the lot ?? - well I won't say the word that comes to mind, but at $5.50 a piece, most of us have had a score like that at some time and it's all the better when it came out of the blue.

ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mb300e4m  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2014 14:29:00(UTC)
mb300e4m

It’s funny how I almost did not find these. I basically follow the same pattern when browsing at a show. I first walk up and down each of the rows that are not along the walls. Then I walk the wall tables starting at the entrance and ending back at the entrance.

At this show, I had purchased some boxed PIKO items which satisfied my urge to never leave a show empty handed, and then because I was getting hungry and had a lunch date with my wife, I almost gave the wall tables a miss this time. But instead I started them half way around rather than back at the entrance, because that’s where I finished browsing the center tables.

I checked out a few wall tables and was again about to leave when hey presto there they were, the four Marklin items on a table full of US stuff.

I guess the moral to this story is to eat a bigger breakfast and stick to the plan.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline drstapes  
#8 Posted : 07 November 2014 00:42:15(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Great buy! It took me several years on ebay before acquiring one each of these at a reasonable price. Still looking for a 353j that I can afford.!!
regards
Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#9 Posted : 07 November 2014 19:56:24(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Hello.

Well done at finding these early coaches , what a great buy and yes certainly qualifies for "BARGAIN" of the year !!.

Sometimes you just get lucky at these train shows , these coaches never fail to impress.

Neil.ThumpUp
1950's Marklin Fan .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 20-VOLT-AC
Offline mb300e4m  
#10 Posted : 07 November 2014 23:23:03(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: 20-VOLT-AC Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

Well done at finding these early coaches , what a great buy and yes certainly qualifies for "BARGAIN" of the year !!.

Sometimes you just get lucky at these train shows , these coaches never fail to impress.

Neil.ThumpUp

Hello Neil,

Its funny I can't resist them when I see them. I now have 20 of them. I have a few that I am not counting as they need bogies or wheels or side-frames. I have found that if one has early rolling stock, the later wheels will fit. The stub axles can be reused. All one has to do is the pull the old wheels off if they don't fall off of their own accord; pull the new wheels of their axles then press fit the new wheels onto the old axles. That is all there is to it. I have several dozen new wheel sets still in their packages; I bought them when I was in Massachusetts back in the 1980s. They were a lot cheaper then than they are now.

Best regards,

Peter B.

Peter B.
Offline Marklinista  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2015 20:47:09(UTC)
Marklinista

I've always wondered why the "potato stamped" version of the 352 Mitropa Dining Car is nowhere to be found. Did Marklin ever make one for their PX sets?
Era II/III H0, 00. Märklin 700, 800, 3000 series. Fleischmann. Hag and other Swiss brass. Hornby AcH0 & French metal. Penn Line. Rivarossi: 1/80. Trix Express. CIWL, TEE enthusiast. Creglinger, Faller, Kibri Holzpappe & tinplate.
"Out where the handclasp's a little stronger. Out where the smile dwells a little longer. That's where the West begins..."
A. Chapman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklinista
Offline mb300e4m  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2015 23:06:57(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: Marklinista Go to Quoted Post
I've always wondered why the "potato stamped" version of the 352 Mitropa Dining Car is nowhere to be found. Did Marklin ever make one for their PX sets?

I cannot answer your question as I do not know what the answer is. I have more than is shown in the list earlier in the thread. The ones listed above have not been looked at in a while, and I have some others that need new trucks/bogies etc. All are packed in different boxes too. But if I ever find one that was Potato Stamped as you put it, I will be sure to post a picture.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 31 January 2015 23:46:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Marklinista Go to Quoted Post

What means 'potato stamp' ??

Potato Stamp

Scared
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2015 01:09:21(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I'm not exactly sure why it's called 'Potato Stamp.' In German it's called Kartoffelstempel which does translate literally. Potato stamp describes the way in which the cars were marked. Some were hand-stamped (potato stamp) and others were lithographed. Marklin did not make a 352 potato stamped because instead the 352 J was sold with the PX sets starting in 1946. In 1945 almost all cars were lithographed, either from the pre-war years or from new production during the war. I suppose the cars were hand stamped because the machines for lithographing were scarce during the war. The track as well during this time did not have lithographed roadbed but instead was painted a solid color with some weathering painted on. Starting in 1947 everything was lithographed again, with only a few months overlap of hand-stamped cars.

Best,

Paul
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2015 13:21:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not exactly sure why it's called 'Potato Stamp.' In German it's called Kartoffelstempel which does translate literally. Potato stamp describes the way in which the cars were marked. Some were hand-stamped (potato stamp) and others were lithographed. Marklin did not make a 352 potato stamped because instead the 352 J was sold with the PX sets starting in 1946. In 1945 almost all cars were lithographed, either from the pre-war years or from new production during the war. I suppose the cars were hand stamped because the machines for lithographing were scarce during the war. The track as well during this time did not have lithographed roadbed but instead was painted a solid color with some weathering painted on. Starting in 1947 everything was lithographed again, with only a few months overlap of hand-stamped cars.

Best,

Paul

This sounds rather like the process we learnt in school called 'linocutting' where you carved your design into the surface of a piece of linoleum flooring then inked it and produced prints. A very similar process is termed woodcuts where a piece of wood is used instead of linoleum. I am not sure there wasn't also variations taught at kindergarten using potatoes or similar tubers as the carving medium, which is probably why that name is applied.

It is essentially a very early precursor to the current 'tampon' method of printing (yes I appreciate there are differences as well, but the principle is very similar).

Offline mb300e4m  
#16 Posted : 01 February 2015 15:08:00(UTC)
mb300e4m

It is a bit like the reverse of raised lettering painting.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline Dangermouse  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2015 14:29:57(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Yep, it's a popular art project for small children. Cut a large potato in half, carve a design into it, dip in paint and stamp on a sheet of paper. Just like most other forms of printing, but with a potato instead of lino or wooden/metal type.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline cookee_nz  
#18 Posted : 25 February 2015 21:08:28(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
(snip) It is essentially a very early precursor to the current 'tampon' method of printing (yes I appreciate there are differences as well, but the principle is very similar).

Some time ago I tried some home-made tampon printing but it was pretty disappointing, made a bloody mess of everything. LOL LOL LOL Blushing
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz