Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2015 11:43:16(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Good morning all, I just broke my rule of never buy a loco that seller cant test. I got a 3015 untested and its come back to bite me. I also got a new roller test stand so I figured this was a great time to try it out.Put the loco on rollers and nothing . No lights ,noise ,not a murmer. After several oh shits and you fxxxzwe idiots I went on the Forum to a thread about crocs and got some great help from Jacquess. The loco was set for overhead.To make a story more boring I did manage to get it running. Rough at first but then ok.It was on test stand for about half hour going slow, fast in both directions so I figured job done and put everything away.Next day I took the cab body off and put greese on all the cogs and oiled the motor shaft and axles, put back on test stand and nothing. Many more oh shits etc and the only way it would run was if I rocked it from side to side on stand. It would run for a minute or two and stop. I checked out Ritter and can get a complete motor for 90 euro + postage and if I do also 2 sliders. The sliders are not that bad, but new motor and sliders would be best. I think I saw on one thread where someone had made theirs digital.What type of motor would you have to use to go this way and what else would you have to change . What motor could you put in without too much troube or is not worth the trouble. I thought Id ask before I bite the bullet and order the motor from Ritter. I also dont know the year and only thing I can see which I have not seen on any others is on mine the front of all the buffers is white and cab roof is all grey including the two wires. It has traction tires and reverse lever . My transformer will chamge the direction so I dowt know why the lever is still on it .I belive the the stock big motors are not very efficient so maybe it would be better to change. Anyway I will leave it with you and hopefully someone can come up with a good solution. Oh I cant show pictures as my camera is broken. Take care EddieSad Sad Sad
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2015 11:50:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Eddie, did you try changing the motor brushes?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2015 12:00:37(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Ray, I did not even think of that. Can I still get brushes for 3015 from any dealer or would I have to get from somewhere like Ritter ?Thanks Eddie
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2015 12:16:34(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

First I don't have a 3015, so my experience with her is very limited. But some friends have 3015 and I have deal sometimes with her.

It is normal that the 3015 has the reverse lever, no problem here. But one of the loco of my friends has a problem with the reverse relais, and we have to change. Maybe you can check it.

The reverse unit of these locos , if I rememeber well, allows that the loco stands with the lights on bu the motor stopped, the reverse unit has 4 positions: forward, stop with lights on, reversing, stop with lights on, it is possible that she have been blocked in one of the stop positions.

Moreover, with locomomotora of my friend, to mount the body, a wire forced a short, maybe you should try if the engine runs without the body.

And it seems that problems will appear after the oil, check that you have no excess grease, most of breakdowns come from excess oil.
I do not think the engine is broken, is a very powerful and robust engine and does not spoil easily

Hope this helps.
best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline MalinAC  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2015 12:35:40(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Antonio, thanks very much and I will check to make sure that I did not over oil. Kind regards Eddie
Offline Dangermouse  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2015 13:02:12(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
I don't think it's likely to need new parts, at least I wouldn't immediately rush to order any. If the sliders are smooth (rather than having a groove worn along their length) they'll be fine for the time being.

Take the motor brushes out and have a look at them. Are they clean? Is the one made from rolled-up copper mesh rolled tightly? Use a torch to look into the brush holders and check for oil or carbon buildup, you should also be able to see whether the commutator is clean. Use a piece of kitchen roll to clean them if not - I just roll a corner to a point and then use it like a bottle brush. If the mesh brush is loose then roll it across a hard surface with a fingertip to tighten the roll.

While the brushes are out try turning the motor over by hand - it should turn relatively freely if you gently move one of the large gears with the tip of a screwdriver. If it sticks, check the gears for anything jammed in them - I've had locos with a tiny piece of fluff wedged in one of the wheel gears before now which as might be expected made them very lumpy! Use a small screwdriver to flick anything you find out.

Older Marklin locos are very solidly built, I have an F800 which I restored from a battered hulk and added a Lokpilot to. All it needed was a new pickup slider (and some missing parts replacing), the brushes and commutator are the originals.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dangermouse
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2015 13:11:20(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Dangermouse, I will try and check out the brushes. Eddie
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2015 13:24:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ray, I did not even think of that. Can I still get brushes for 3015 from any dealer or would I have to get from somewhere like Ritter ?Thanks Eddie

Hi Eddie,

The brushes for the 3015 are the same as for all other Marklin FCM motors, and still avaliable. They are part number E600350.

You can check out Marklin's database for spare parts for your 3015, or any other loco for that matter!

http://www.maerklin.de/s...1&artikelnummer=3015
Ray
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2015 14:02:14(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The brushes for the 3015 are the same as for all other Marklin FCM motors, and still avaliable. They are part number E600350.
Most SFCM and LFCM locos use the brushes E600300. The 3015 uses brushes E600350.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2015 14:12:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Most SFCM and LFCM locos use the brushes E600300. The 3015 uses brushes E600350.

Ok, sorry about the duff information!
Ray
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 14 January 2015 14:19:11(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
https://www.marklin-user...s&t=26538#post401606

All you will need from your 3015 are good brushes and a good armature and you will end up with a loko configured to work on any Marklin layout.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline MalinAC  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2015 15:10:19(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks to all the members for the excellent advise. Much appreciated. Eddie
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2015 15:30:20(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks to all the members for the excellent advise. Much appreciated. Eddie

You may also have a (small) problem with the inversion relay. Typical in those years.
A picture of what's inside the nose of the loco would help us providing specific debugging tips
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline MalinAC  
#14 Posted : 14 January 2015 16:12:41(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Jacques,I did not want to bug you with too many questions yesterday thats why I put it to the forum. Unfortunately my camera is out of action. I do have all 3 covers off and all I can see is apart from motor in middle ,at one end the reverse unit and the other a black block with wires going in 2 angled groves to the connections for the lights. Am I right in thinking the inversion relay you mention is the reverse unit.All the wires seem to be still connected . EddieConfused Confused
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 14 January 2015 22:29:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Jacques,I did not want to bug you with too many questions yesterday thats why I put it to the forum. Unfortunately my camera is out of action. I do have all 3 covers off and all I can see is apart from motor in middle ,at one end the reverse unit and the other a black block with wires going in 2 angled groves to the connections for the lights. Am I right in thinking the inversion relay you mention is the reverse unit.All the wires seem to be still connected . EddieConfused Confused

Well I would expect that much.
The point here is to look at which type of relay is actually mounted there, and then we can pinpoint specific things to trace the problems and how to fix them.
Not all relays were identical thru the years, thus the problems vary.
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline MalinAC  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2015 13:44:52(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Jacques, I tried to get picture of reverse unit from internet but have had no luck. I downloaded the repair manual but all it shows are the 20824 type. It also lists 20866 as being for 3015 with replacement being 23400, but I cant get pictures of either units.The one on mine seems to be on its side with the claw like lever which turns the cog on the side. The copper wire coil has red tape on one end and sits inside 6 plates.Wires come from motor to unit and to front and back lights. Apart from that I dont know how to identify unit. Eddie
Offline Dangermouse  
#17 Posted : 18 January 2015 20:12:51(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
A dud relay was one reason why my F800 restoration ended up with a Lokpilot and a permanent magnet (the other being that I mostly run digital, so analog locos wouldn't see much action). They're complicated little mechanisms when they're not playing ball.
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 18 January 2015 21:23:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
A loco with digital conversion will, in general, run much better in analogue mode than the same loco without the digital conversion. You won't get the "jump" when you reverse, the slow running will probably be smoother, and you get the added benefit of direction dependent lights.
Ray
Offline Dangermouse  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2015 00:31:48(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Yep, the only weakness is if you're using the old blue transformers, as their reversing pulse can fry decoders.

The Lokpilots do need to be programmed to get the best from them, but if you know someone with a digital controller it only takes about 5mins to do.

You really can't tell that either my F800 or 3031 have been converted aside from the constant intensity lighting, everything is tucked away under the shell. Still need to fine-tune my 3001 as it sometimes won't move off in one direction and growls a lot when eventually persuaded to, but runs smoothly the other way.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dangermouse
Offline Janne75  
#20 Posted : 29 January 2015 22:42:32(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Eddie, all,

I'm glad to tell you I fixed this Eddie's 3015 Crocodile he sent to me for repair. I got 3015 today after work and now it works again. Many small things were done, but the main problem was a loose soldering spot where two wires are soldered to the point where there is the lever to choose how power is picked up (sliders or pantographs/overhead). Brushes are good and I cleaned them. Also armature is cleaned. Reverse unit drum is cleaned.

All the lights are working, reverse unit works perfectly and motor works well. Ray, these 3015's have direction dependent lights even when they are analog with Swiss light change over. All three on in front and one on the right side on in the rear. Sliders are ok.

This 3015 has a reversing unit with only two positions: forward and reverse, no four position with lights on only in the middle positions. Reversing unit works very smoothly without any "jump starts" BigGrin . This one has still clear plastic traction tires!

I will send this 3015 back to you Eddie tomorrow or in the beginning of the next week.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75