Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2015 06:06:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I already own the 37755 with the 46370, 46371 and 46372 sets, so why did I need to buy the 26800 set?

Part of the answer is sentimental - we really enjoyed our time in Scandinavia a couple of years ago and the other part of the answer is another question: What looks cooler than a Dm3 with 18 wagons? Another Dm3 with 12 wagons.

This set comprises a 37753 Dm3 and 12 wagons. Six of these wagons are the same as the 46371 set, but the other six wagons do not come from the 46370 or 46732 sets. I have no idea where they are from unless Marklin has used different road numbers for wagons in the three sets.

One disappointment is that when I placed the loco on the track and started the eCOS so that mFx would register, it took off like a scared rabbit. The only way I could get control of the loco was to place it on my rolling road and let it run at full speed, let mFx register the loco on the eCOs, then move the throttle from 0 to midway and then return to 0 - only then did the loco stop. Once again, I am not convinced that these locos are test run at the factory!

The second disappointment is that I think there is an intermittent connection fault. When I returned the loco to the main line it would not work - even pushing the whole loco along the track did not make a change. I picked up the loco and placed it down again in the same spot and the lights came on. The same thing happened after I picked up the loco and placed it on the starting point for the WindigiPet calibration. I will keep an eye on this!

Some photos.

UserPostedImage
Nice long train next to a longer one. BigGrin

UserPostedImage
Lights are good.

UserPostedImage
The wagons are weathered too.

UserPostedImage
Front of the loco.

UserPostedImage
Rear of the loco.

I will upload a video after she has been through the calibration process.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by xxup
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2015 07:38:59(UTC)
H0

Hi, Adrian!
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Once again, I am not convinced that these locos are test run at the factory!
This could be the "result" of a test run: if taken off the track too quickly the loco will remember the last speed setting.
Weak evidence for a test run - not necessarily at the factory (some dealers give the items a test run to reduce reclamations).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2015 07:59:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Okay the calibration run is complete. The slow speed running, up to speed step 25 (128 mfx steps/15 WDP Calibration points * 3 poor running points) is terrible - very jerky like the front and rear motors are not running at the same speed. Beyond this speed step, it runs well. Perhaps the loco needs some time to "run in"?

I tried to take a video, but it was too dark (no exposure adjustment on the little camera I use for train pictures) so I will try again in the morning. Blushing

Overall, I think that the 37755 is a better built loco than the 37753 that comes in the 26800 set.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2015 14:27:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Adrian,

I have seen the testing at the factory, (2013 M days Factory tour) and they do a digital and function test, and also an analogue test on the same circle or figure 8 track, which normally have a few switches (points) included.

I'm not sure which order they do the tests in but I have had a few new Loks race off whilst supposed to be registering and it is MY theory that, the some of the test and packaging, girls probably remove the Loks from the track with analogue throttle still on and when the lok sees 18volts again off it goes, full speed !!OhMyGod
I have usually just hit the stop button a few times and they settle down and do the normal registration process IIRC I think one time I had to hit the reverse knob a few times and that eventually worked and stopped the loco. It's just a case of signalling the decoder that digital power is here Sneaky
So if my CS1-R is not on, I power it up first and then hit the stop button before placing the new lok on the track, you should (for the nubes) hit the stop button, when placing any digital Lok on the track anyway Scared

Nice Loks and Ore Trains Smile ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2015 06:45:09(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Huummm......... makes me think that I'll be using the roller stand in future for "first time out of the box checks". It has never happened to me yet....... BUT........Confused

Out of the around 20 lok's I got last year only about a third got tested and nothing since about September when I started packing all the train gear away.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Online kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2015 08:32:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
.......it is MY theory that, the some of the test and packaging, girls probably remove the Loks from the track with analogue throttle still on and when the lok sees 18volts again off it goes, full speed !!OhMyGod
I have usually just hit the stop button a few times ...... It's just a case of signalling the decoder that digital power is here Sneaky
So if my CS1-R is not on, I power it up first and then hit the stop button before placing the new lok on the track, you should (for the nubes) hit the stop button, when placing any digital Lok on the track anyway Scared

Nice Loks and Ore Trains Smile ThumpUp

Hi Glen and Adrian,
A likely explanation.
The same happens occasionally in DCC locs on 2 rail.
(Both protocols having same features, mainly the recognition of mode of operation, you would expect the same anyway)

At the first chance, I disable DC/AC analogue.
Otherwise it can happen again for no apparent reason.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Online H0  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2015 08:40:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
At the first chance, I disable DC/AC analogue.
Otherwise it can happen again for no apparent reason.
I only had this with new Märklin locos coming out of the box. I never disable analogue mode for Märklin locos with programmable decoders and this never happened to me later on. I believe it has to do with how the locos are put into the box after the test run.

Apart from that, there are older Uhlenbrock decoders where I had to disable analogue mode to prevent problems when mfx is present on the track. But that's a completely different story.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0