Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dukin.joo  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2015 12:29:04(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting into the hobby but having trouble picking a starter set.

I'm looking at either the 29161 or the 29163.

My main reasoning is the haribo so it would be pretty hard to temp me away from these sets.

My main issue I find myself is neither of these sets have many if any real reviews (or maybe my search skills are lacking and someone can point me in the right direction.)

I know next to nothing about the hobby itself and even less about the technology involved. I understand the IR controller it comes with is out dated and neither of these locos have mfx, but that's as far as I know.

The 29161 is more expensive about an extra AUD$50, but is it worth it over the 29163?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2015 12:57:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello,

The 29161 has a couple of advantages over the 29163.

The Br74 loco in 29161 is a more accurate model than the Br89 in the other set, and includes working lights. The 29161 set also includes an extra wagon. These two features make the difference in price worthwhile in my opinion.

I think it's important to consider whether you intend to expand in the future with more trains and track. Either of these two sets will serve to get you into the hobby, but the controller will restrict your ability to take advantage of the benefits of the digital functions available with other locomotives, such as mfx auto registration, sound, and sophisticated lighting effects. Would it be a stretch for you to consider one of the starter sets with a MS2? It may cost a bit more now but it will be a good investment if you want to make the best of the hobby.

Alternatively you may upgrade to a MS2 later by buying one online split from a starter set.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dukin.joo  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:25:19(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   
Thanks for the quick response :)

I have no doubt I will upgrade to the MS2 in due time.

Will I be able to use the tracks and loco from the above sets with the current product line?
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:28:28(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
I would second Ray. I'm also a newbie and 29163 was my first "digital" buy. The tender loco that comes with this starter pack is a very simple loco and it has only one dull yellow engine cabin light. This glows only when the loco direction is reversed.

Another reason why I would opt for 29161 is the flexibility to decorate the two wagons (coal load, wooden logs etc)

The AC 3 rail C tracks are compatible with other Maerklin digital systems.

@Ray, needed one clarification. Could you confirm if its BR89 in 29163? The package just called it "Tender Locomotive" and BR 89 that I have looks quite different from this loco.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:42:45(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
You should definatly get a system with a MS2 right from the start.
Especially if you plan to upgrade to one later on anyway, becuase once you have the MS2, the power-adapter and controller from the two sets you mention will be totally useless.
The MS2 will probably never be useless, as MS2´s can be connected together, and also used as smaller handhelds together with the bigger CS2 controller.

Only if the set is for a very small kid, would I consider the two sets you mention.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:53:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
I would second Ray. I'm also a newbie and 29163 was my first "digital" buy. The tender loco that comes with this starter pack is a very simple loco and it has only one dull yellow engine cabin light. This glows only when the loco direction is reversed.

Another reason why I would opt for 29161 is the flexibility to decorate the two wagons (coal load, wooden logs etc)

The AC 3 rail C tracks are compatible with other Maerklin digital systems.

@Ray, needed one clarification. Could you confirm if its BR89 in 29163? The package just called it "Tender Locomotive" and BR 89 that I have looks quite different from this loco.

The loco in 29163 is a Br89.3, originally a KWStE T3. You are probably more familiar with the DRG Br89.0 which is the basis for the Marklin model 3000/30000.

If you look at the side of the cab of this loco you can see it's also a Br89.

UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:58:30(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

If you look at the side of the cab of this loco you can see it's also a Br89.

Thank you very much Ray for the clarification.. (Ooops, the minute detailsBlushing )
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2015 16:57:14(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Could you confirm if its BR89 in 29163?
Actually it is not a BR 89, it is a BR 89.3.
BR 89 is just short for BR 89.0 which is a completely different class. Writing BR 89 is not recommended to avoid ambiguity.

There are many different classes that begin with 89 as all 0-6-0 locos from era I were registered in that number rage.

I mention this just in case you care about accurate nomenclature ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2015 17:06:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: dukin.joo Go to Quoted Post
I understand the IR controller it comes with is out dated
How do you define outdated?
The controller is limited to four loco addresses and five functions per address, but Märklin also have newer starter set controllers that handle only one function per loco.
Some of the 2015 new items also include this IR controller, so at least it is not discontinued.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2015 19:24:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Could you confirm if its BR89 in 29163?
Actually it is not a BR 89, it is a BR 89.3.
BR 89 is just short for BR 89.0 which is a completely different class. Writing BR 89 is not recommended to avoid ambiguity.

There are many different classes that begin with 89 as all 0-6-0 locos from era I were registered in that number rage.

I mention this just in case you care about accurate nomenclature ...

Tom,

I'd already clarified that in my next post, where I also posted the photo of the loco.
Ray
Offline dukin.joo  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2015 20:45:20(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
I understand the IR controller it comes with is out dated
How do you define outdated?
The controller is limited to four loco addresses and five functions per address, but Märklin also have newer starter set controllers that handle only one function per loco.
Some of the 2015 new items also include this IR controller, so at least it is not discontinued.

I hadn't realised they were still making the IR controllers.

That gives me a little bit more confidence, thanks.
Offline dukin.joo  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2015 20:55:28(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I had a few more questions,

Is the loco in the 29161 the same as 36740?

Does the 29163 also have a separate loco item number?
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 23 January 2015 20:59:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I'd already clarified that in my next post, where I also posted the photo of the loco.
Yep. That's why I clarified that the loco 89 388 is not BR 89.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 23 January 2015 21:03:51(UTC)
H0

Is the loco in the 29161 the same as 36740?
Same mould, different number.

Does the 29163 also have a separate loco item number?
36140 is the same mould, but a different livery.
Nowadays rolling stock from starter sets is normally not available separately, but most items will be available with different numbers or liveries.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 23 January 2015 22:59:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Welcome to the forum. It's always great to have another Aussie on board to help manage the East Islanders. Wink

If you are in Brisbane, Old Noel of Nathans Trains n' Toys, is the local dealer. If you are new to the hobby, give him a call as he might do a deal on a MS2 set to get you started on the addiction/hobby. His number is 07 3350 4411. If you don't live in Brisbane, try and hit him up for free shipping - may not work, but then like any good drug dealer/hobby shop he will be keen for you to get your first fix. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dukin.joo  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2015 01:51:43(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   
Thanks xxup,

Unfortunately, I'm in Sydney :(

The upside is that we have a HobbyCo here and I was really surprised how friendly this community was. Hobbyco did not have the Haribo I wanted so he called up another store to see if they had some. Thankfully the other store did have some but person there walked me through pretty much all the basics and need to know. I felt so bad not buying anything from him :(

Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 24 January 2015 03:12:50(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Have you given "Train Trader" at Pymble a go ?

Brent and Nick are decent lads and have a good selection of new and used Marklin.

I'm not positive but I think they only open Wed-Sat something like 10am to 4pm, you can check on the web thingy.

Its not far from the station but there is a smallish carpark at the rear, sharp left once you cross the bridge heading east.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline dukin.joo  
#18 Posted : 24 January 2015 18:44:08(UTC)
dukin.joo

Australia   
Actually went there today! Great shop. They sold me the Haribo on it's own which makes this topic completely irrelevant. It's amazing how friendly these folks are. Really impressed by the community so far :)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dukin.joo
Offline PJMärklin  
#19 Posted : 25 January 2015 04:08:22(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Actually went there today! Great shop. They sold me the Haribo on it's own which makes this topic completely irrelevant. It's amazing how friendly these folks are. Really impressed by the community so far :)

Hello,

Yes, they are friendly chaps.

I tend to go up by train to see them when I am in Sydney.

Regards,

PJ
Offline PhillipL  
#20 Posted : 10 February 2015 02:52:25(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I am normally a DC modeler but I am planning to pre-order a Marklin starter set (29173) which is similar to one discussed here. It also comes with a 060 locomotive and two freight cars. I plan to set it up when my granddaughter comes over (she is a toddler). There is a My World play mat that I also plan to get as well. This forum is such a great place to candid opinions on Marklin products and background information on the various products. One locomotive I plan to get after the starter set comes is the BR 89. It looks like a great engine for the price!