Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2015 05:21:11(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
I just installed a lokpilot on my 2864 loco. It works fine for a minute or two but then it shorts out the track. The stop button turns red on the ms2. I hit the stop button and it starts right back up. It does this in forward and reverse, lights on or off. All the wires look fine. Any ideas? Could the decoder be bad? It's just weird that it works a random amount of time before it causes a track short. Other locos run fine on same track.
Offline Gregor  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2015 08:14:51(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Did it run fine before you installed this decoder?
I had a case once of incidental short outs, but found it to be related to the slider touching the axles. Piece of tape solved it.
UserPostedImage

But if it ran fine with the old decoder, the cause lies probably somewhere else.

Good luck,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2015 09:08:56(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
But if it ran fine with the old decoder, the cause lies probably somewhere else.
2864 was originally analogue (V 160 pre-series aka Lollo).

I converted mine with ESU decoder and ESU magnet and it works fine.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline stlcards54  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2015 04:45:07(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Ok I fitted another loco 3032 with the same type decoder. Now both locos short out the track. But only at max speed. They run fine and don't short the track at a more realistic speed. So is there a list of recommended max speed settings for locos or types of locos?
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2015 09:32:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
Now both locos short out the track. But only at max speed.
If the MS2 switches to STOP then there is an overload situation. This can be caused by a short or by a partial short or by an overload situation.

The MS2 can show the current it supplies to the track. You can check this value while loco is standing and watch how the value changes when you slowly accelerate the loco. A single loco shouldn't draw more than 0.6 A.

I hope you don't use the MS2 with the 66191 door stopper (or similar 120 V versions) - you should use the recommended switching mode power supply.
I hope the locos do not suffer from HOS (hardened oil syndrome) or mechanical problems.
Don't use the 74046 with the MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage