Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 15:39:42(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Hi, I'm just getting back into the hobby, and was going to make a small layout (around 4' x 8'). I find it tempting to go to digital control of the turnouts. But the more I think about it, it doesnt seem that practicable for this size layout where I will have 10 turnouts. I have a MS2, but it seems it would be easier to just use a control box as opposed to scrolling thru the MS2 to control a turnout with multiple trains running around the track.

Just wondering what others have done.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2015 15:52:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I've kept control of my turnouts, signals and uncouplers through the old style of control boxes. This also allows me to use the layout in analogue mode without any complicated switching arrangements for the solenoid devices.

I think digital control with the MS2 is feasable for a smallish layout with a handful of turnouts, but certainly no more than 10 or so. For a larger layout I would seriously consider upgrading to a CS2.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Tower  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2015 17:47:08(UTC)
Tower

Hi st1cards 54,

RayF is correct, but in my experience, anything more than two turn outs becomes a real mission to control with an MS2.

I stick to the control boxes with a feedback function to control mine, and I wire them in a way that when all lights are green I know all routes are open and no conflicts can occurr and not in the traditional manner where Green is Straight and Red is Turn. Makes checking easy, especially with hidden turnouts.

Works for me.

Have Fun and welcome back to the hobby.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2015 21:13:16(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
... I have a MS2, but it seems it would be easier to just use a control box as opposed to scrolling thru the MS2 to control a turnout with multiple trains running around the track.

I see next to no "practical" use for a MS2 in the context of signal/turnout control on an "operational" layout.
- As a tool for setup and testing ... yes
- for a demo "carpet-bahn" ... yes.

At the very least I would look for a 2nd MS2 to dedicate for turnout/signal use (even with only 2 points). But even then I would wire it separately from the track so that turnouts/signals may be switches while the trains are off (recovery from a short/pending collision)

Until Marklin make a "keyboard" that works with the MS2, I agree the bluebox manual method is best. Check costs though
(3rd party and home made devices are available if you are interested in getting into that)
Peter
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2015 18:13:51(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Tower Go to Quoted Post
RayF is correct, but in my experience, anything more than two turn outs becomes a real mission to control with an MS2.

Or more than four turnouts when controlling with "twin" master and slave MS2 configuration.
;o)

Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2015 20:10:24(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tower Go to Quoted Post

Or more than four turnouts when controlling with "twin" master and slave MS2 configuration.
;o)

Presumably you would want to reserve one controller for the trains/locomotives themselves.

Also you can actually have 10 MS2s connected together so the equation might become 10 locos or 20 turnouts/signals or some combination in between
Peter
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2015 09:46:00(UTC)
Goofy

No...it´s not practicable.
I do have 8 turnouts,but i must count in correct way to see what number an turnout is as identify in the MS2.
With CS2 you do have screen layout as present and more easier to control turnouts.
The more turnouts,the better with screen layout.
Just like an signal box as prototype by simulate.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2015 09:57:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It certainly makes sense to go for the "two MS2" approach if you are considering the MS2 for solenoid control.

The CS2 is a better solution for a layout with many devices, but of course not everybody is willing to pay the high cost of these top end controllers for a simple 2m X 1m layout.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2015 10:06:41(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It certainly makes sense to go for the "two MS2" approach if you are considering the MS2 for solenoid control.

The CS2 is a better solution for a layout with many devices, but of course not everybody is willing to pay the high cost of these top end controllers for a simple 2m X 1m layout.

Truth!
In this way you do have another choice too...by build up an simulated screen layout as signal box with micro switches and LED as turnouts identify.
This way are much cheaper.
Because you control switches analog anyway.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2015 10:56:05(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I have 30 turnouts on my layout, and must admit its a pain in the proverbial to find the right turnout at the right time on the MS2....I have connected 5 of them to control boxes so far....and my 20 uncoupler tracks are all connected to connecter boxes; far easier to control!
Joe
Offline paulhek  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2015 11:51:31(UTC)
paulhek

I have 2 ms2's for my 2x1mtr layout. About 10 switches, 3 uncoupled and 3 light switches connected to the two ms2's. In short, it's a bit of a hassle to operate. I am looking for a cs2 or maybe a cs1 to make things easier.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by paulhek
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2015 12:33:25(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
CS2 would the way to go.....am considering it also, depending on the budget this year!! Have already ordered the Italian cl 897 (ex 94.5), and those lovely set of coal cars from Luxembourg 46083......and loads of preiser and noch "people"!!
I normally buy thru Modellbahnshop-lippe, but they not able to supply the branch line coaches 43058 and 43059; reserve bookings already full!! Do you know of any Marklin dealers in Netherlands that I might contact to see if i can place a reserve on them - they expected to come out Q4 this year...
tx, Joe
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2015 12:38:41(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
To get to the desired turnout number, there is a "fast forward" key on the ms2 - hold the shift key, and press the top rt key, whch shows the turnout number - it "jumps" fro 1/2 to 17/18 - does make it easier to get to the "high" numbered turnouts quicker!
Joe
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline paulhek  
#14 Posted : 05 April 2015 17:10:19(UTC)
paulhek

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
CS2 would the way to go.....am considering it also, depending on the budget this year!! Have already ordered the Italian cl 897 (ex 94.5), and those lovely set of coal cars from Luxembourg 46083......and loads of preiser and noch "people"!!
I normally buy thru Modellbahnshop-lippe, but they not able to supply the branch line coaches 43058 and 43059; reserve bookings already full!! Do you know of any Marklin dealers in Netherlands that I might contact to see if i can place a reserve on them - they expected to come out Q4 this year...
tx, Joe

Modelbahnshop-lippe is also my usual place for purchases. I would not know a Dutch alternative that's as cheap.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by paulhek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 05 April 2015 20:07:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: paulhek Go to Quoted Post
tx, Joe

Modelbahnshop-lippe is also my usual place for purchases. I would not know a Dutch alternative that's as cheap.

Lokshop currently has the cs2 at 599 Euro

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline NZMarklinist  
#16 Posted : 06 April 2015 08:09:37(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: paulhek Go to Quoted Post
tx, Joe

Lokshop currently has the cs2 at 599 Euro

Only 478.91euro outside of the EU Woot but add 10% for P&H and credit card fees Wink

Those Prussian Cars are not yet produced but you could ask Lokshop if they have some available for ordering ! In any case if you want them you should order them from somewhere to avoid missing out Joe, mention to Lokshop you will order a CS2 if they can supply the Prussian Coaches Sneaky

They are nice and I could imagine very popular, even tho they were produced originally 15 or so years ago by Marklin IIRC
I have them in the era II version which will do for me in the Black Forrest region Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist