Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline witzlerh  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2015 16:21:31(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I checked my iPad this morning (Mountain Standard) and noticed that there was a new update for the Märklin Catalog app.
I checked the notes and noticed that the format is different and it also said that I would have to download the catalogs again(for free).
This also means I have to re-do my favorites list. No biggie because I have an iPod that has the "official" favorites list that I will copy from.

I was thinking...OK it looks like the reason we did not get any new catalogs for a while is because the app developement company was no longer used for whatever reason.

However, when I downloaded the new items 2015 catalog I saw that there was everything except the pictures!!!!!Cursing
I then downloaded the new items 2014 catalog and again everything except the pictures!!!Cursing Cursing
I do have an older iPad that does not have the latest update...

Do I now need it to view the pictures because there is another image reading format???Confused
If anyone has the latest ithingy and uses the new Marklin Catalog App with no issues, let me know.

However, in the mean time, HOLD OFF UPDATING the app if you want to keep your favorites and top score as well as look at the images.
Before you do update, make a list of your favorites so you can set them up again...
If you have an impressive top score and want to keep it.....record it somehow.....

Edited by user 12 April 2015 11:23:32(UTC)  | Reason: Good update

Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2015 04:33:11(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hummmmm,

I had a squiz at my iPad when I woke up this morning before I crawled out of bed and noticed a lot of updates (which I could have sworn I had set to manual update) on the home screen or whatever its called.

Will have to go and have a look.

YEP, all the catalogue's have been wiped and the really annoying thing the whole app is upside down compared to all the others and won't flip right way up........ downloading a catalogue now........ soooooo sloooooowwww.

Will report if the pic's are present in about a hour the way things are going.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline witzlerh  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2015 04:45:21(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Thanks Shamu. At least I am not going crazy. Also had it not flip as well. I am surpised that apple let this app through.
I will send emails to the appropriate people.

Update. The release notes do state that the catalogs will need to be reloaded again but all will be for free. I knew that before I upgraded so no issue there, just will take some time. I do hope that they will dump the old catalogs during the upgrade as they do take up a lot of memory. I would be bad programming if the old version of catalogs stay while we have to upload the new version of catalogs.

Email sent to the app developer. Others can email too so that they realise the severity of it.
Harald
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2015 05:27:28(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Ok, took forever but downloaded the 2009/10 and the 2015 new items and both have the photos so at least from my end that works......

Pissed about the upside down screen and how long it takes to D/L but at least its designed for the iPad and not the phone now.

OH, for the record I'm using a iPad mini about 12 months old.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2015 05:48:58(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
IPad mini is newer.... Thanks for the feedback.

Damn, now my beef is with Apple to force us to buy newer ithingys. I have a 2nd Generation iPod and I know that this new app will not work as it appears that Apple has new software for processing images. Apple stopped upgrading that iPod a year ago.

As for the iPad, perhaps I can get the IOS upgraded. It is the iPad 2 I think...but it is curtain call for my iPOd and it still works great....Crying
This is almost as bad as the WINDOWS machines of the 90's, you HAD to upgrade every 2 years...Cursing

SO the only bug then is that it flips the wrong way....

Now the email I just sent to Marklin app developer will be treated like I am a neanderthal with ancient devices.....sighBlushing

As I am not the only one....
CAUTION! to those that have "older" iThingys that have the catalog app, check your version and if it is older, wait to see if they will make the new app more backward compatable...

I will keep you updated.
Harald
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2015 06:27:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Ok, took forever but downloaded the 2009/10 and the 2015 new items and both have the photos so at least from my end that works......

Pissed about the upside down screen and how long it takes to D/L but at least its designed for the iPad and not the phone now.

OH, for the record I'm using a iPad mini about 12 months old.

So it was you hogging all the bandwidth this morning. I couldn't download anything. RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2015 07:05:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The down load has been throttled to 150Kb/sec (bytes not bits - 1MBit/Sec), which is in line with the limits used by most software providers like Adobe, HP and Microsoft to name a few. Pathetic speed for the 21st century.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2015 13:12:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I just installed the app in my iPad 2 running iOS 8.1.2 and it works great. My only complaint is when you select a "publication" and then return back, it defaults to the top publication in the list and does not stay with the one you previously selected.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2015 04:42:26(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
But Matt, is yours upside down as well or is it normal ?
Offline tulit  
#10 Posted : 18 January 2015 13:21:23(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Mine is what I consider upside down too. I think they just neglected to check what the orientation sensor in the iPad is saying.
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2015 14:34:00(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
At first I did not understand the upside down problem you guys were speaking. Then I opened the app once and must have had the iPad oriented the other way around, then I understood. It appears the app wants to work only in landscape and if you're flipped 180 degrees, it does not flip the app to present it right side up.

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Shamu  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2015 07:36:19(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I just installed the app in my iPad 2 running iOS 8.1.2 and it works great. My only complaint is when you select a "publication" and then return back, it defaults to the top publication in the list and does not stay with the one you previously selected.

I only really had a good fiddle with it this afternoon and that defaulting back to the most recent catalogue (on at the top) every time you try to go back is driving me NUTSCursing Cursing Cursing.
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2015 08:08:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
These guys are not the best programmers. RollEyes I wonder if they are the same geniuses that wrote the code for the CS2 on PC software. OhMyGod
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline witzlerh  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2015 06:26:28(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
An app update is available and it seems to have addressed most or all the bugs. I will need a little more time with it before I can give a good review but first impression is good.
Harald
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2015 12:53:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
My first impression is poor.. It is much slower and almost locks up when you press the favourites button.. It is true that that have fixed some things, but they have managed to introduce a new problem.. RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2015 11:20:49(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Märklin catalog app just updated and the favorites tab is working well now. I am happy with this app.
Harald
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 12 April 2015 11:29:57(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Will have a look when I go to bed (the iPad lives on the side table).

Got to say I've been far from happy with not being able to enlarge the pictures.......... unless they fixed it in todays update.

In many respects I preferred the old one.