Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Demau  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2015 05:10:10(UTC)
Demau

Chile   
I hope someone can help me with my problem, please.
I had an almost brand new 37181 Maerklin locomotive, but because of an accident I could'n continue using it; I also had an analog locomotive (BR 80) that was part of the 2866 set.
I decided to take the electric motor and the mfx deco from the 37181 to replaace the BR 80 motor and analog controller.

Finally, after about two hours os work, I finally replaced the 3 poles original motor and controler by the new 5 poles and mfx decoder. The only problem I had was I hadn't enough space inside the BR 80 to install the speaker, so I just cut off the wires and didn't install it.

I am using a CS2 to control my Maerklin trains, and my rails are "C gleis".

After finishing my work, I put the "digital BR80" on the lines, and the CS2 took about 15 seconds to recognize its mfx deco, and show it as a 37181 mfx loko, as planned. Everything was going fine, but when I tested my new "digital BR 80" I realized it only moves backwards. The ligts turn on in the rigth direction (front or rear), but it only moves when I select the backwards direction. When moving back, it responds correctly to the speed, but when I select the front direction, it turns on the front lights, but doens't move at all.

I will be very grateful if someone help me to determine what's the problem, please!!!

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2015 08:58:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The 37181 didn't have mfx ex works.

If the BR 80 only drives in one direction, then probably there is a defect on the decoder. There are two transistors used for moving forward and two used for reverse. Connection to the motor uses the same two cables, therefore a wiring problem is unlikely.

Did you try running the loco with the body off?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Demau  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2015 16:16:00(UTC)
Demau

Chile   
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate your comment.

You're right, I bought the 37181 some time ago and paid a Märklin representative to install the mfx deco to it. Now, and according to your opinion (the deco seems to be defective) some events start to make sense to me...e.g. sudden fast runs.
Yeah, I made it run with the body off with the same symptoms.

Seems to me the en of the story...I will have to replace the deco (but keep the 5 pole motor installed!).

Just an additional and final advise: What deco you wold recommend me to buy? (I will try to buy it on eBay)

Best Regards,

Dan
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2015 20:02:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Demau Go to Quoted Post
What deco you wold recommend me to buy?
Ask five users and you will get six different answers.

I prefer ESU decoders.

Depending on when your loco was converted it may have an ESU decoder (blue decoder board) or a Märklin decoder (red or green decoder board).
I don't know whether you want to try the same brand again (like the fried decoder you have) or whether you want to try the other brand.

Not much room in the BR 80. If there is enough room I try to install a decoder socket that allows replacing decoders without soldering. 8-pole or 21-pole.

Do you want a decoder with or without sound?
The CS2 can upload sound projects to Märklin decoders, but not to ESU decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Demau  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2015 20:30:07(UTC)
Demau

Chile   
Hi Tom,

As you said, not much room inside the BR80. I will try the Märklin 60492, mainly because of your recommendations: I want to change the brand (the one I have now is not Märklin, but a "sealed" one with a black plastic envelope), and because it has pins to be able to change the deco if a new desaster come across. The deco is posted in eBay for about US$49, and I think it is worth it to buy and try!!!

Thanks a lot again. You have been more than kind advising me in this matter.

Regards from Chile!
Offline Demau  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2015 20:31:55(UTC)
Demau

Chile   
Sorry, I meant 60942.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2015 20:46:34(UTC)
H0

I'm not sure if the board from 60942 will fit into the BR 80. Maybe someone else experience?

There also is Märklin 60962 - a decoder in a black plastic tube. So maybe your decoder is from Märklin.

You can use the CS2 to determine the manufacturer of your decoder (see post #165):
https://www.marklin-user...y-models.aspx#post478819
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage