Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stlcards54  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2015 04:23:14(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
I'm trying to convert my old 3032 to digital. I disconnected the old delta module and changed out the motor magnet. I am installing a lokpilot 4.0 module. Before I got too far I thought I would just hook it up to power using my red and brown wires from the loco to the red and black wires on the lokpilot. I then put it on the track and used the ms2 to find it. But, The ms2 won't find it. Shouldn't this be enough for the ms2 to recognize the decoder in mfx? The only other wires I could try to hookup are the motors and lights. But I wouldn't think that would make a difference. This is my first foray into digitalCursing
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2015 07:43:06(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
But I wouldn't think that would make a difference.
Only the ESU V4 M4 supports mfx, the other ESU V4 come without mfx.
To be recognized via DCC the decoder needs a motor connection. To be recognized by the MS2 via MM the decoder needs something connected to "F0" that draws enough current (light bulbs will do).

I think mfx registration should work with just black and red connected, but make sure the decoder supports mfx.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2015 09:18:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
But I wouldn't think that would make a difference.
Only the ESU V4 M4 supports mfx, the other ESU V4 come without mfx.
To be recognized via DCC the decoder needs a motor connection. To be recognized by the MS2 via MM the decoder needs something connected to "F0" that draws enough current (light bulbs will do).

I think mfx registration should work with just black and red connected, but make sure the decoder supports mfx.

Tom is right.
A decoder's detection by the central/mobile station is performed by sending pulses and monitoring the current that they generate.
That's why you need to have a "load" hooked to the decoder's output, in this case your motor.
The current through the decoder alone (with no output connected) is not sufficient , and thus the central mobile station cannot "see" it.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline stlcards54  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2015 15:05:14(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
Thanks for the tips guys. I will wire it up fully. This is the Lokpilot 4.0 not the M4 version. So should the MS2 still find it automatically?
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2015 15:53:33(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks for the tips guys. I will wire it up fully. This is the Lokpilot 4.0 not the M4 version. So should the MS2 still find it automatically?

Can't answer that one, I have an ECOS2.
When the Lokpilot V4.0 is used in DCC mode and Railcom is enabled, it will announce itself.
Otherwise You have to detect it manually.
Someone else for sure can explain how to do that with an MS2 ...or just maybe try to follow the users manual, step by step.
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2015 16:33:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

For sure you won't get automatic registration if the decoder is not MFX (the M4 version). The MS2 may be able to find it using the "Find loco" option in your menus, but this only works if you have only one loco on the layout.

My advice woulf be to enter it manually. It will take about 10 seconds if you know the address. If it's a brand new Lokpilot decoder the default address is "03". Just follow the menus for "Enter Loco Manually".
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Oliver nagel  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2015 19:46:11(UTC)
Oliver nagel

United States   
My Cs2 has no problem reconizing lokpilot decoder in DCC or MM2 infact all I use is lokpilot v4.0 in DCC.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2015 08:08:15(UTC)
H0

So should the MS2 still find it automatically?
As I already wrote: the MS2 should find it as a DCC loco as soon as the motor is also connected.
You will have to set name and loco functions in the MS2 manually, so it takes about the same amount of time when you register the loco manually as DCC with address 3.
You should change the address of the decoder when everything is working as all new decoders and most new locos come with address 3.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline stlcards54  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2015 14:11:57(UTC)
stlcards54

United States   
It worked using "find" on the ms2. Showed up as a dcc loco.