Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nomda777  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2015 18:20:34(UTC)
nomda777

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and Marklin in general and I would like to ask your expert opinions if you don't mind for the following:

1. I'm planning to buy the upcoming Swiss starter set that comes with an MS2 controller and my question is will the power supply work in the UK?

2. Can i use the MS2 to control my existing US locomotives, currently i have NCE powercab controller?

3. Can i do consisting for MS2 as i would like to simulate multiple traction just like SBB?

4. Can i combine different wagons e.g. Marklin and Roco without changing wheels and couplers? As much as possible i don't want to change stuff as my sight is getting poorer.

5. Is the C-track reliable as currently i don't have space in the house so i'll just resort to carpet layout so there will be frequent tearing down of the layout?

6. I read in the forum that the loco that will come in for the new Swiss set is AE610 Cargo which i really like. Do you know if this is a good locomotive in terms of running quality and fidelity against the prototype?

Apologies for so many questions and thank you very much.

Rodel

By the way i've choosen Marklin as my primary locomotive brand because they produce models in metal and they have great history.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2015 19:24:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nomda777 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and Marklin in general and I would like to ask your expert opinions if you don't mind for the following:

1. I'm planning to buy the upcoming Swiss starter set that comes with an MS2 controller and my question is will the power supply work in the UK?

Yes - assuming you buy the set in Europe it will come with a 230V power supply that has a European plug. You can get adapter plugs to fit to European plugs so they can readily be used in the UK, although if careful the European plug can be put into a UK power socket without an adapter. This is not recommended if children are to use the set.

2. Can i use the MS2 to control my existing US locomotives, currently i have NCE powercab controller?

Yes, but - your loco is probably a 2 rail loco. The marklin system uses a row of studs between the rails to supply the power to the train, and both rails are used for the return. A two rail system has one rail supplying the power and the other as return, so the loco will not run on Marklin track without modification. The MS2 controller will run DCC controlled locos, so it is suitable to use as a controller on a DCC system.

3. Can i do consisting for MS2 as i would like to simulate multiple traction just like SBB?

4. Can i combine different wagons e.g. Marklin and Roco without changing wheels and couplers? As much as possible i don't want to change stuff as my sight is getting poorer.

5. Is the C-track reliable as currently i don't have space in the house so i'll just resort to carpet layout so there will be frequent tearing down of the layout?

6. I read in the forum that the loco that will come in for the new Swiss set is AE610 Cargo which i really like. Do you know if this is a good locomotive in terms of running quality and fidelity against the prototype?

Apologies for so many questions and thank you very much.

Rodel

By the way i've choosen Marklin as my primary locomotive brand because they produce models in metal and they have great history.

In view of the two questions I have answered, rather than step through the other questions I would suggest you look at the equivalent set as marketed by Trix. TRix items are (for the most part) Marklin items but made for two rail operation. You should be able to find a Swiss start set in the Trix range which also has an MS2 controller.

The Trix C Track is a two rail version of the Marklin C Track.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2015 19:31:09(UTC)
H0

Hi, Rodel!
It works with 230 V. I don't know if the plug will fit.

The MS2 supports DCC with functions F0 through F15.

Not when using mfx. Can be done for DCC.

I never swap wheels for Roco cars. But you will get problems with Märklin couplers.
See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eblog/?p=65

C track made in the last 10 years is reliable.

Märklin fans will tell you it is a great loco. HAG fans will tell you the HAG model is closer to the prototype. The motor may be a bit noisy.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2015 19:58:50(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Rodel,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Renato
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2015 20:23:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Transformer black 66361 or grey box 60061 should be fine.

Marklin do not intend the 60052 to be used in the UK. I have two 60052 transformer dead more that five years ago.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nomda777  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2015 13:54:10(UTC)
nomda777

Thank you very much for the welcome and answers to my questions.

@kiwiAlan, i was looking at the Marklin rather than Trix so that i can avoid the pain of dealing with reverse loop.

@Tom, it seems that Hag doesn't produce much Swiss locomotives as i've looked into Ebay and didn't see much. Most of the stuff that are being sold are more than 10 years old and i don't want to pay premium for an old model.

@steventrain, thank you for giving me the power supply part number so i guess i'll just go for the starter set and in case it breaks then i'll buy as suggested. Also i've noticed that you are very knowledgeable of Marklin do you know when Set 29484 will be out? Do i have to wait for months?

One more question, does "modellbahnshop-lippe.com" reliable shop online? Are there other online shops that you can recommend in terms of reliability, pricing and service?

Cheers
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2015 17:33:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thank you very much for the welcome and answers to my questions.

@kiwiAlan, i was looking at the Marklin rather than Trix so that i can avoid the pain of dealing with reverse loop.

@Tom, it seems that Hag doesn't produce much Swiss locomotives as i've looked into Ebay and didn't see much. Most of the stuff that are being sold are more than 10 years old and i don't want to pay premium for an old model.

@steventrain, thank you for giving me the power supply part number so i guess i'll just go for the starter set and in case it breaks then i'll buy as suggested. Also i've noticed that you are very knowledgeable of Marklin do you know when Set 29484 will be out? Do i have to wait for months?

One more question, does "modellbahnshop-lippe.com" reliable shop online? Are there other online shops that you can recommend in terms of reliability, pricing and service?

Cheers

I haven't personally dealt with Modellbahn Lippe, but I believe others here have, so I will let them give you the benefit of their experience.

Personally I have frequented Lokshop (click) and Modellbahn Kramm (click), with Lokshop being my preferred source. A number of the folk here also use Lokshop. Both of these shops have real store fronts and both have a good command of English language.

Hag produce almost exclusively Swiss locos, but in recent years I believe they have been in the doldrums, and may have gone into liquidation. I believe there is a couple of attempts at reviving the company, but there are others here with more knowledge of that.

OK, I can now understand why you wish to use Marklin, but without further investigation your existing models may not work with it without modification, as I noted in earlier post.
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2015 17:52:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have bought from MBSL several times and they have great service. However, I have recently found that Lokshop prices are consistently cheaper with the same level of service.

Peter
Offline GDJTrain65  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2015 19:26:08(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   

In my opinion Lippe is very reliable and I can without doubt recommend that store. I have bought lots of stuff from them and I have never had any problem of any kind at all with them.