Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2015 21:48:15(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

I have just received the new MFX+ Marklin locos 39053 (DB05) and 37349 (Swiss RE 4/4 II).
Both failed at first to register on my 60214 Central Station. They both run in analogue mode on a normal controller fine, so it is not the pickups, motor, etc.
These are the first MFX+ locos I have tried to install.
The 60214 CS is Hardware 3.4 and have just uploaded the latest software 3.8.0. from Marklin.
Originally the older software 3.6 was on the CS, so with the new 3.8.0 version being released, I installed it, thinking this would solve the problem.
Eventually the 39053 did appear on the CS station so this loco is now fine, just the remaining Swiss RE 4/4 II is not registering.
I have have rebooted the CS a number of times, the Swiss loco is on a piece of straight K track not connected to the layout.
I have tried both the programming socket and the normal socket track connection with this piece of K track and loco.
This has been tried over a number of days.
I have deleted a number of existing locos on the CS as there were a few and thought loco registration storage could be the problem.

The 39053 just appeared in the CS registration menu, I did not see a registering process icon like the older MFX locos.
It could have been done while I was not watching as I just left it on the track and thought time would solve the problem.

Another loco I have, 37150 (BR52) registers fine, I have deleted and reinstalled it and it it is fine.
However it is a plain MFX version not a MFX+.
In the past with MFX locos this problem was solved with running in analogue first, is this the correct approach?
I have asked Lokshop, the dealer and they have not replied about it.

I will try once again this morning.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Bryan

Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2015 22:46:45(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Does the piece of K track you are using have the noise suppressing capacitor on it still?
Offline Bryan  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2015 01:17:11(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
No, the K track is the standard type without the suppressor.
Offline Graham HO  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2015 01:33:24(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Try cleaning both tracks and the center studs with the usual semi abrasive track rubber - then place the Lok on the programming track and gently push it along and look for a response on the CS screen. No two Loks will react in the same fashion, so it's worth a try.
Offline Bryan  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2015 08:44:34(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Graham

I put the leads directly from the CS to the loco and this actually worked. The registering icon came up and all was well from there. I had to reboot the CS and the RE 4/4 II icon was there ready to use.
Quite obviously with these new MFX+ chips they can be a bit fussy with registering.
Thanks.

Cheers
Bryan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2015 10:40:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
I had to reboot the CS and the RE 4/4 II icon was there ready to use.
Quite obviously with these new MFX+ chips they can be a bit fussy with registering.

Can't say that I agree with you. I have 2 mfx+ locos, including the Re 4/4II and I've had no problem with registering either of them. I suspect your problem may have been caused by a dead spot on the piece of track you were using, or some other fault with it's connection to the CS2. This is borne out by the fact you got the Re 4/4II to register with a direct connection to the loco's wheels, thus proving there was no problem with the loco.
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2015 19:07:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have both 39053 and 37349 mfx registering working fine with programmes track/layout with CS2.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2015 20:28:43(UTC)
Webmaster

I just wonder if this has something to do with the amount of feedback current CS2 needs to recognize a decoder on track?

I remember that in the IntelliBox days that with some newer decoders, the address values could not be read on the programming track
unless you had a 4.7-5.6k resistor between the center & outer rails so some small current was detected instead of an "open circuit".
Maybe this goes for the CS2 & some revisions of the mfx+ decoders too?
Just a stray thought of mine, since I don't know the hardware design for the decoders & feedback circuits... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2015 21:05:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I remember that in the IntelliBox days that with some newer decoders, the address values could not be read on the programming track unless you had a 4.7-5.6k resistor between the center & outer rails so some small current was detected instead of an "open circuit".
There are different types of feedback. The Intellibox uses "DCC feedback" that works on the programming track only.
mfx/mfx+ uses feedback that works on main and programming track. The CS2 cab mode requires mfx+ feedback to work while the loco is running on the main track. Therefore it is IMHO impossible to improve things with resistors on the track connection.
RailCom+ uses yet another type of feedback.

For cab control it is not enough to get the loco to register while it is alone on the programming track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bryan  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2015 23:33:08(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

Just one point about the RE 4/4 II. When the loco was stand alone, I used the wires on the wheels for the loco to register. Before registering though, I put the wires on the wheels and there were two reactions from the loco.
One was a spark which to me denoted a load, the other was a very, very tiny reaction of the motor. Both signs of the chip reacting in some way. So I kept on touching the wheels, a spark reacted etc, then after about 5 taps with one lead, up comes the registering icon on the CS. The wires were thus held in place until the registration was complete.

The suggestion it was a faulty track, no sure about that. The cab forward 05 eventually registered on the same track and all the earlier MFX locos registered without any problems. I do not have a megger meter anymore, the multimeter I do have did not register any impedance in the track sections involved. If there is some impedance, then it must be miniscule.

Anyhow, if anyone has a similar problems with MFX+, the solution worked out here by all worked in this instance. Thanks.

Cheers

Bryan.
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2015 11:35:06(UTC)
Goofy

It is very important,that locomotives do have contact on the track with all wheels.
The pickup shoe is power feeder to the decoder,while the wheels are reconducting.
As TS did wrote,mfx decoder are sensible with the contact on the tracks.
Dirt and bad contact on the tracks do make problems too for the three railer.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control