Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kentchov  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2014 15:59:13(UTC)
kentchov

I have a train that is not responding to the controller. It just runs backwards, will not slow down and the light will not blink.

I have tried to clean the bottom and the wheels with nail polish remover, but that did not help.

I have some pictures of the train, but I do not seem to have enough privileges to upload pics ( maybe after I press the post button?).

Doe anyone have any advice? The casing seems tricky to open as there are no visible screws on top.

Thanks.
kentchov attached the following image(s):
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kentchov
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2014 16:42:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kentchov Go to Quoted Post
I have a train that is not responding to the controller. It just runs backwards, will not slow down and the light will not blink.

I have tried to clean the bottom and the wheels with nail polish remover, but that did not help.

I have some pictures of the train, but I do not seem to have enough privileges to upload pics ( maybe after I press the post button?).

Doe anyone have any advice? The casing seems tricky to open as there are no visible screws on top.

Thanks.

That loco is from a start set. It was a Chinese made chassis (similar to the Thomas and Percy locos) with a European body on it.

It sounds like the decoder has died.

The body is probably just clipped on. See if the sides will spring outwards and unclip off the chassis.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kentchov  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2014 17:58:59(UTC)
kentchov

You are right, I managed to unclip the chassis. How can I check the decoder?

Everything seems to be ok, except for the fact that the circuit board in the middle is not sitting inside its holder, but that could be because I knocked it out when I opened it up.
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kentchov
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2014 21:06:09(UTC)
Webmaster

As this is a start set loco, is it digital at all?
To me, it sounds like it is running as an analog loco on digital track, ie uncontrollable and at one speed only.

What control are you using?

Is there a way to switch analog/digital on the loco decoder?

Does anyone know what set it comes from?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline kentchov  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2014 21:49:00(UTC)
kentchov

I presume everything is digital. Plus everything was working fine, for a long time, and then it just stopped working.

I have tried two different controllers. One from a starter set from about 6 six years ago, with a dial for acceleration, and then one from a newer starter set which has buttons fro acceleration and reversing the direction.

I am not sure if there is a way to switch, I am not even sure where the decoder is.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 25 December 2014 22:05:54(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems like the decoder does not respond correctly anymore if used with a digital controller.
Is there maybe an address conflict with another loco on the track?
Is there a decoder reset option for this loco in the controller?

Does anyone know if it's an mfx or MM loco?

Sorry, but I am just asking the "obvious" questions from my point of view since I don't have this loco...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kentchov  
#7 Posted : 25 December 2014 23:09:21(UTC)
kentchov

Address conflict I ruled out because I have the same behaviour irregardless if only one train is running.
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2014 23:13:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Can you give us a picture of your controller (s) ??

Or the Märklin number ??

Which other trains / locos do you have that works?

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2014 08:24:50(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

If this loco has a programmable fx or mfx decoder without DIP switches to set the digital address it should be possible to factory reset it with CV8 with a value of 08. But you need a Central Station 2, Mobile Station 2 or good old Control Unit to do this. Maybe some other controller can also be used for this factory reset, but I'm not sure. I had previously problems with 36120 "Thomas" and factory reset helped. I only assume this is the same basic loco (technic) as 36120 "Thomas".

I hope you get this problem sorted out.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline kentchov  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2014 13:53:31(UTC)
kentchov

Here are the controllers that I am trying.

How would the factory reset work? I am not sure if the equipment I have support this. All I have are these controllers, power supplies, and tracks.
IMG_1582.JPG
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 26 December 2014 14:08:03(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not sure,but doesn´t decoder similar looks like delta decoder with only one adress to use?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 26 December 2014 14:26:10(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
It can be a Delta decoder, but I'm not sure. I have one loco with a Delta decoder without DIP switches and the address is 78 if I remember right. I have never seen a controller like the one on the left, but the right hand side one is a Delta controller. It controls only four different address locos. I had a different Delta controller around ten years ago. Again if I remember right those addresses are 60, 72? and two others, but I really can't remember anymore.

If it was a fx or mfx digital decoder (probably not...) you can't do a factory reset for CV 8 with value 08 with your controllers. If it's Delta, try all different positions (by choosing different setting from 1-4) if your loco reacts to some of them.

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#13 Posted : 26 December 2014 14:45:00(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I found out from eBay that this DB 89081 is from starter set 29107. I could not find this product number from Märklin database or my Koll's catalog from 2012. Strange? Confused

It should be Delta or fx/mfx Digital as it should run on analog, delta and digital layouts.

Janne
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 26 December 2014 15:52:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I found out from eBay that this DB 89081 is from starter set 29107. I could not find this product number from Märklin database or my Koll's catalog from 2012. Strange? Confused

It should be Delta or fx/mfx Digital as it should run on analog, delta and digital layouts.

Janne

It was released for non-European markets if I remember correctly. Some made their way to Europe through ebay and the like I think.

Kolls probably think it beneath them to list this loco, and I don't blame them. It was a real cut price item during the time of the venture capital owners IIRC.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 26 December 2014 15:56:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

How would the factory reset work? I am not sure if the equipment I have support this. All I have are these controllers, power supplies, and tracks.

You will not be able to do a factory reset with either of these controllers. They are both very basic controllers designed for the entry level start sets.

I don't think doing a factory reset will solve anything either. I believe your decoder has had an electronic failure which means it cannot control the voltage to the motor, which is why it takes off at full speed and the lights do not work.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 26 December 2014 16:01:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I have never seen a controller like the one on the left, but the right hand side one is a Delta controller.
Janne

The one on the left is the 'new' delta controller. The slide switch at the top does the same function as the loco selector on the old delta controllers, and selects the same four addresses.

I received one of these controllers with the set I bought from Aldi. It is soldered to the track connections, and has a 'wall wart' power supply. See my pictures in the thread on Aldi selling Marklin start sets that ran in late November through early December.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 27 December 2014 17:25:37(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

You will not be able to do a factory reset with either of these controllers. They are both very basic controllers designed for the entry level start sets.

I don't think doing a factory reset will solve anything either. I believe your decoder has had an electronic failure which means it cannot control the voltage to the motor, which is why it takes off at full speed and the lights do not work.

Correct!
It´s an cheap waste away products.
When locomotive crashes,it´s trash nex step.

H0
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 28 December 2014 11:56:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Goofy, that's not very helpful!

Even though this is a cheap locomotive designed to be more a child's toy than a serious entry into model railways, it should be possible to have it repaired. I would change the decoder if this were my loco.

Kentchov, if you don't have the skills to do this yourself I would suggest the only solution would be to have a dealer do it for you, or return the loco directly to Marklin for repair, thought this might prove more expensive than buying a replacement loco. Do you have a dealer nearby? I'm sure there must be several in the area you live. Take it in to one of them and see what they say.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 28 December 2014 13:36:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Goofy, that's not very helpful!

Even though this is a cheap locomotive designed to be more a child's toy than a serious entry into model railways, it should be possible to have it repaired. I would change the decoder if this were my loco.

Kentchov, if you don't have the skills to do this yourself I would suggest the only solution would be to have a dealer do it for you, or return the loco directly to Marklin for repair, thought this might prove more expensive than buying a replacement loco. Do you have a dealer nearby? I'm sure there must be several in the area you live. Take it in to one of them and see what they say.

Purchase,throwaway is what i see about those toys.
I cannot find details and the prices of the parts in Märklins homepage about the locomotive model.
To fix it without warranty cost more.
H0
Offline Dimi194  
#20 Posted : 29 December 2014 01:45:22(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
As noted, this is the same drive unit as used in the Marklin Thomas model, for which spares are nigh on impossible to get. Unless the decoder can be fixed, I'd recommend getting the 'real' BR 89 (30000), which depending on the repair costs might even be cheaper :P
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 29 December 2014 12:14:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The motor in the loco seem to be OK, as it runs in an uncontrolled way, so a new decoder should fix the problem.

A new 30000 is about €80 new, a new MLD decoder costs less than half that at most dealers, so if someone will fix the loco for the cost of the decoder it is still worth repairing.

A cheaper steam loco to replace the faulty one could also be the 36871 or the 36140.

If a dealer will split up a starter set you can also get some good value cheap locos from them, such as the Forestry loco from the 29310 set, or the Br89.3 from the 29163 set
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 30 December 2014 06:06:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

There must be somebody here with a Delta-decoder left over from a conversion.

Otherwise Ebay have them cheap: http://www.ebay.de/sch/E...0&_nkw=delta+decoder

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage