Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2012 08:16:48(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Gentlemen,

Are we too serious about our "model trains" to enjoy some holiday fun with our "toy trains" too?

How many of you make a circle Carpetbahn around your Tannenbaum?
... would love to see photos and just what R or track you use?

If you really wanted to have serious fun, why not five circles?

- Mark

Update Dec 24, 2014: Would love to see new additions to this thread.
I will have to add at least one of our own! We have all kinds of video bits that I was going to cobble together... but all more time.
Nonetheless at least a photo or two is warranted as Christmas greeting.

Edited by user 26 December 2014 03:35:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2012 08:43:25(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Mark,

No carpet layout around the Christmas tree, but maybe I can do you a favor with a special lovely Christmas toy catalog from 1960 ??

Link 1960 Christmas catalog
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2012 08:51:39(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Nostalgic! Thanks Marco!
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2012 09:10:03(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mark,

Christmas 2011.

My World ICE.

Ian.

...Smile

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2012 09:55:18(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Ian,

Wow, that was a beautiful Christmas tree.
Were that true presents, or just large empty boxes wrapped in Christmas gift paper for decoration ??
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2012 10:07:26(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mark,

Christmas 2011.
My World ICE.
Ian.
...Smile

Thanks Ian,
Nice alcove and tree!
Will show the Christmas Thalys my world when it gets opened on Dec 25.... and more.
- Mark
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2012 11:05:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ian,

Wow, that was a beautiful Christmas tree.
Were that true presents, or just large empty boxes wrapped in Christmas gift paper for decoration ??

Hi Marco,

Wink Smile

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2012 11:07:29(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mark,

Thanks. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2012 11:17:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Here's this years Xmas tree in the lounge, my wife Jane puts up our 3 Xmas tree's, this one is always first.

You can see the first present arrived yesterday, needs to be wrapped.

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

.....It's a good sized box for 2 Loco's...Smile
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2012 18:52:18(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Last year had a train under the tree.....and in front of the fire place....and a stageing yard under the couch. Unfortunately no pix but will do the same this year.
C track makes it easy!
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2012 05:55:23(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
That's sounds like good fun Witzlerh.... Please add photos to this thread as they come up.
I'll do the same.
- Mark

Offline tulit  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2012 18:46:14(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mark,

Christmas 2011.

My World ICE.

Ian.

...Smile

I setup the same set around our tree this year too!
Offline rrf  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:57:45(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

For decades going back to my childhood, the Christmas layout was the only time I was able to play with my beloved Märklin trains. Up until a few years ago the floor bahn in the formal living room (Mom never let anyone in except for special occasions) had standardized on a dual M-track layout: around the tree and piano, in front of the fireplace, through the study behind the fireplace and then back under the piano to the tree (two doors, one on each side of the fireplace made this possible). The Christmas layout hit its zenith three years ago after renovation of the family house added a connecting family room. It took every last piece of M-Track and C-Track I owned at the time, to connect the three rooms!

Then the little ones came along. First my grand kids (currently 4 1/2), followed by my twins (now 2 1/2). The grand kid’s first Christmas here two years go went very well. For some unknown reason they quickly learned to leave both running trains and the layout alone, though it became impossible to keep my granddaughter from sneaking in and firing up the trains. I eventually had to remove and lock up the transformers to prevent her from playing when nobody was around! The floor bahn was safe … until last Christmas!

The twins actually learned the “Don't touch a running train” lesson by the time they could crawl. This probably had something to do with me putting their bouncers (small half chair / half beds for infants) in the middle my permanent layout and using the running trains to lull them to sleep. My current problem is they can't resist the temptation to pull tracks apart and then put them back together in new and interesting ways. The fact is they love to play with C-Track almost as much they love train watching. This is both a good and a bad thing. Ii bodes well for the future but right now it is very bad for any layout they can get their hands on.

So this year the Christmas layout has been banished to the top of the piano and a nearby large TV stand ... two small ovals. The traditional Christmas E69 and passenger cars (LAG blue and white) work well on the piano. Unfortunately the other holiday train, my Blue BR18.4 with the Rhinegold passenger cars doesn't fit on the other oval. They take up about 60% of the available track and look very silly; like a dog chasing its tail! So this will be first time in many years that the Rhinegold hasn't run at Christmas time Sad

I hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Bye,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Mark5  
#14 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:31:37(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

For decades going back to my childhood, the Christmas layout was the only time I was able to play with my beloved Märklin trains. Up until a few years ago the floor bahn in the formal living room (Mom never let anyone in except for special occasions) had standardized on a dual M-track layout: around the tree and piano, in front of the fireplace, through the study behind the fireplace and then back under the piano to the tree (two doors, one on each side of the fireplace made this possible). The Christmas layout hit its zenith three years ago after renovation of the family house added a connecting family room. It took every last piece of M-Track and C-Track I owned at the time, to connect the three rooms!

Then the little ones came along. First my grand kids (currently 4 1/2), followed by my twins (now 2 1/2). The grand kid’s first Christmas here two years go went very well. For some unknown reason they quickly learned to leave both running trains and the layout alone, though it became impossible to keep my granddaughter from sneaking in and firing up the trains. I eventually had to remove and lock up the transformers to prevent her from playing when nobody was around! The floor bahn was safe … until last Christmas!

The twins actually learned the “Don't touch a running train” lesson by the time they could crawl. This probably had something to do with me putting their bouncers (small half chair / half beds for infants) in the middle my permanent layout and using the running trains to lull them to sleep. My current problem is they can't resist the temptation to pull tracks apart and then put them back together in new and interesting ways. The fact is they love to play with C-Track almost as much they love train watching.

[...text...]

What a great bit of history Rob!! Laugh Thanks so much for sharing that!

This year the girls will have a large box of new C-track to play with, but will have to wait until Christmas day; standard manual switches with various radius and an assortment of straights. I am very curious to see what they will do with it only the carpet. They make very wild train lines with the wooden trains, and already they have done experiments with the a small box of Marklin Alpha tracks.... (I thought for months this stuff was C-track, but the two do NOT fit... and don't try unless you want to break the connectors.... said from experience.) ....but I will let them use very simple tank engines and older analog stuff that will not be the end of the world if it breaks. So far I have done this with them, but since they will now have a My World set... arrived this week... they can try this by themselves along with some other goodies.... (can't say, since the walls have ears)

I will post the "before Christmas layout" as the tree goes up some time around St. Nicholas day Dec. 5... and then again... the after Christmas layout photos.

If anyone has another other Christmas carpetbahn photos to show, I'd love to see them in this thread... old or new!

Peace and good will to all men, and girls and boys with trains.
- Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Laxman  
#15 Posted : 01 December 2012 01:01:47(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Hi Mark

Christmas and trains always went together when I was growing up. That is when Dad would get the old M trains fired up. The last several years we have set up a small layout at the house to play with.

Here are photos from the one we did 2 years ago. Note the homemade ginger bread houses the kids made and decorated along with assorted christmas decorations to make the layout very playful (like large ferris wheel in the middle). Everyone enjoys moving the figures and accessories around to make new and changing scenes.

You can also see that that year we set up a Maxi train around the perimeter which enabled many different things to travel the layout in style

Laxman
Laxman attached the following image(s):
P1080022.jpg
P1080024.jpg
P1080023.jpg
P1080026.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Laxman
Offline rrf  
#16 Posted : 01 December 2012 12:34:37(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: MM-MarkMontreal Go to Quoted Post

This year the girls will have a large box of new C-track to play with, but will have to wait until Christmas day; standard manual switches with various radius and an assortment of straights. I am very curious to see what they will do with it only the carpet. They make very wild train lines with the wooden trains, and already they have done experiments with the a small box of Marklin Alpha tracks.... (I thought for months this stuff was C-track, but the two do NOT fit... and don't try unless you want to break the connectors.... said from experience.) ....but I will let them use very simple tank engines and older analog stuff that will not be the end of the world if it breaks. So far I have done this with them, but since they will now have a My World set... arrived this week... they can try this by themselves along with some other goodies.... (can't say, since the walls have ears)

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. How old are your girls? Based upon your post I'm guessing that you believe they're ready to solve the "get the train on the track" problem. What about an analog transformer?

I've been lobbying very hard for the first "My World" sets for the kinder. So far I've been loosing the age appropriateness battle. I can still accept this argument for the twins, but I really do think the grand kids are ready for their first Märklin train. The other problem of course is that childrens gifts around here generally have to be done in sets of four Smile

Bye,

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Mark5  
#17 Posted : 01 December 2012 17:45:22(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post

Mark,
Thanks for your reply. How old are your girls? Based upon your post I'm guessing that you believe they're ready to solve the "get the train on the track" problem. What about an analog transformer?

I've been lobbying very hard for the first "My World" sets for the kinder. So far I've been loosing the age appropriateness battle. I can still accept this argument for the twins, but I really do think the grand kids are ready for their first Märklin train. The other problem of course is that childrens gifts around here generally have to be done in sets of four Smile

Hi Rob,
Four girls, 3,5,7,9.... we will not do the four sets business. This Christmas its "one for all and all for one."
I know that presents has a lot to do with a child's love-language, but aside from financial limitations we are also trying to teach the love of sharing and working together. Working together they form the Mädchen-Eisenbahn. ThumpUp
Different of course being the parents... I am an older Dad but being a grandparent gives you special spoiling rights at Christmas. Glare

Anyway, they will have more C-track then they need for carpet-bahns... they already have a little lok of their own each among 3 of them, and we play with supervision. So yes, we use an analog transformer for this. The two oldest can manage things pretty well. The youngest is getting a Percy this year ...ssssh... (So each having one in this case.) I was not going to do Thomas until a local friend's set was nearly given to us. His convincing argument was that he loved it himself (he is now in 2-rail) and it the thing the visiting kids always remember seeing..."Daddy, I saw Thomas!"... a battle lost and won I guess.

- Mark
Offline Ian555  
#18 Posted : 01 December 2012 19:10:48(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Laxman,

Very nice Xmas layout. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Laxman  
#19 Posted : 01 December 2012 22:02:15(UTC)
Laxman

United States   
Thanks Ian

The kids really enjoyed playing with it and the gingerbread house construction was a big hit.

May have to do a repeat this year.

Do you put a train around each of the 3 trees you all put up?

I know you have mentioned you will be putting an o gauge set up in the new train room. IMHO there is a great entertainment value to a large train on the living room floor or around the tree and the kids love playing with one. Do you have any 1 gauge stuff?

Years ago I bought a MAXI set when the kids were quite young and we would get it out and set it up from time to time running from room to room and using their other toys for props. We made bridges out of books and houses out of cardboard boxes complete with decorating them with paint and construction paper. The MAXI trains were great for kids--all metal-- and essentially indestructible. I still pick one or two up when they come up on ebay and even got a MAXI christmas set the other year.

Laxman
Online Eurobahnfan  
#20 Posted : 02 December 2012 00:16:19(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Trains and Christmas just go together. My earliest Christmas memories include my father's HO scale trains running around the tree... my brother and I always fought for the best vantage point to observe the trains: nearest the tunnel, on our stomachs for a real, track-side view. BigGrin Over the years, I've dabbled in just about every scale out there. While Maerklin HO remains my favorite, I've got to reserve the Christmas season for classic pre-war Lionel -- after all, it has three rails too!! LOL

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Ian555  
#21 Posted : 02 December 2012 08:15:17(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Laxman,

I've only got HO and a very small amount of O gauge, but I hope to add to the O gauge, now it's out the boxes and I can see what I've got/need.

Again this year, it will be the My World Set under the Xmas Tree.

Ian.

Offline Mark5  
#22 Posted : 10 December 2012 23:47:35(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Another Tannenbaum-Bahn post by Paul63:
https://www.marklin-user...hristmas-Tree-setup.aspx

Our tree is up now... we have yet to put some track around it.
When that is done, I'll have to post some pics too!

- Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Paul63  
#23 Posted : 11 December 2012 00:12:35(UTC)
Paul63

United States   
Originally Posted by: MM-MarkMontreal Go to Quoted Post
Another Tannenbaum-Bahn post by Paul63:
https://www.marklin-user...hristmas-Tree-setup.aspx

Our tree is up now... we have yet to put some track around it.
When that is done, I'll have to post some pics too!

- Mark

Mark...very nice how you formed the loop between this and my Christmas Tree thread that I started today....BigGrin

We had the Christmas Tree trains while I was growing up also. My dad had (3) 4' x 4' platforms that we set up in an 'L' shape. We spent a lot of time setting up the tracks for the three trains. I'm going to have to did through old pictures to see if I have any of that set. I took about a 25 year break while I was in the service, I had to wait until I retired, had kids and was not traveling all over the place before I could restart this tradition.

We have an 'O' gauge and a couple of 'Z's also
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Paul63
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 17 December 2012 22:37:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
My carpetbahn doesn't go around my Tannebaum, rather it goes past it.............

[img]UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Mark5  
#25 Posted : 18 December 2012 23:13:42(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks David!....

Of course you could put a tiny conifer in the middle of that circle. Wink

Peace to you!
- Mark

Offline Mark5  
#26 Posted : 21 December 2012 09:42:34(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Offline kweekalot  
#27 Posted : 25 December 2012 20:51:16(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Faller AMS around our Tannenbaum....

My camara is probably broken, no autofocus anymore.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline seatrains  
#28 Posted : 25 December 2012 21:02:32(UTC)
seatrains

United States   

Merry Christmas! Missy & Mona helping with the presents and LGB ThumpUp
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline mascagni  
#29 Posted : 25 December 2012 21:25:54(UTC)
mascagni

Here are the tree (a little less than 10 feet tall) and the presents with tree slightly visible before the orgy of package opening that transpired this AM.

Mascagni Tree with carpetbahn

Mascagni Tree and presents on Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Florida.
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mascagni
Offline LA2019  
#30 Posted : 01 January 2013 03:03:03(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
Had to get one shot of the Christmas tree with the nephew's ICE set before it comes down...

Happy New Year everyone!

UserPostedImage
Ken
USofA
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline Mark5  
#31 Posted : 24 December 2014 21:13:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Would love to see new additions to this thread.
I will have to add at least one of our own! We have all kinds of video bits that I was going to cobble together... but all more time.
Nonetheless at least a photo or two is warranted as Christmas greeting.

- Mark
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kimballthurlow  
#32 Posted : 24 December 2014 22:19:13(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mark,

Each year we have a battery powered train set that runs around under our tree.
The grand-kids like it, the cat likes it, the wife likes it, and so do I.
Even the angel likes it.

This year, my wife purchased some unique Christmas decorations in Denmark when we visited our daughter there.
So the tree has a few differences.

UserPostedImage

That is almost the end of 2014.
From what I have seen of Marklins production capability toward the end of the year, I think Marklin users are going to be in for a special 2015.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mark5  
#33 Posted : 25 December 2014 07:19:27(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Ok, here are the promised images: Tannenbaum with Carpetbahn 2014.
One loop is analog, the other digital with a siding yard and reverse loop.

Image list:
1. The gifts make tunnels as "Postie", DP's V160 rushes by on extra duty.
2. Zoe mixes in her playmobil in the yard along with her Kirchenstadt Train Station in the corner.
3. Four young railfans of the Madchenbahn.
4. "Can we open this gift early Daddy?"
5. The gift is a kit that reminds me of the 60s/70s kits, only this one can be done be a 5 year old.
6. & 7. Maddy's new train car ends up in the "Thayls" and she calls it the "Dining Car" because it carries candies.
8. Speeding up the "Thayls" with the remote as it whizzes around the tree.
9. Random selection of cars in the yard with night lighting.
10. The tree in the sleepy hours until tomorrow when the tunnels dissappear.

[Eventually a video clip of several years worth of Tannenbahns]
Mark5 attached the following image(s):
Tan1.jpg
tan2.jpg
tan3.jpg
tan4.jpg
tan5.jpg
tan6.jpg
tan7.jpg
tan8.jpg
tan9.jpg
tan9b.jpg
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Mark5  
#34 Posted : 25 December 2014 07:53:48(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Image uploading problem repaired.
Sorry ...
Perhaps Juhan can include JPEG as well as JPG as one of the acceptable extensions to attach.
Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas with peace and blessings in 2015!!
- Mark
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#35 Posted : 30 December 2014 23:31:41(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Very nice carpet layout in a confined area. Congratulations ! ThumpUp

But when I saw it, all presents were no longer there ... I suppose I was too late ! BigGrin

Pierre.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PierreGILLARD
Offline Mark5  
#36 Posted : 30 December 2014 23:56:26(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks Pierre and all,

One thing to consider for next year, or others who think of building a set around a tree is falling needles on the tracks!
I had to designate one of my girls as the official "spruce needle monitor" to clean off the needles from the tracks with a pair of tweezers.

Low branches is another problem. One of the pantographs was popped up and got caught on a branch derailing an E40.

On the upside it gives a good bit of drama to the sleepless days that lead up to Christmas,
and a number of shunting problems to resolve when moving out various trains.

Health, Peace and Blessings to all in 2015!

- Mark
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#37 Posted : 15 January 2015 09:43:42(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Sorry,
I didn't recognize Your thread earlier. here are some impressions of our Christmas tree model railway:

2014:

Video:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

2013:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline rrf  
#38 Posted : 15 January 2015 12:46:23(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

This was a very frustrating year for the Weihnachten Bahn, with some important lessons learned! This is the first year I've put the Christmas layout on the floor since the twins were born. They are four now and my grandchildren are six. So I figured a layout protected by the tree and some furniture would be viable.

I built a dual line dog bone M-Track layout, using strategically placed turnouts to maintain proper distance between the tracks. One end of the dog bone looped closely around the tree, with the rest of the layout under a couch to protect it from children's feet. Track placement was rather difficult but I figured once in place, the furniture would protect it from the kids and the adults would be careful enough not damage the layout.

Boy was I wrong! The kids were the careful ones and never caused trouble. The adults (read my grown kids) were the problem. Everything from sticking their feet under the couch to kick the track out of place, to thowing kids shoes under the couch. So I had to repair the track at least once a day.

Worse yet because of the couch and tree there was one section that was impossible to reach, unless I moved the tree. The final disaster happened Christmas Eve, sometime after a train session with the children. I put the little ones to bed and my wife and older kids set out all of the presents. Come Christmas morning, the layout had multiple breaks including one in the section I could not reach to repair! So my BR 18-4 Rheingold express spent Christmas stranded underneath the couch Sad

Next year, I will not try to protect the layout from the kids. Rather I will make sure that it is in plain sight so there is a small chance adults will not step on it and more importantly, it is easy for me to repair!

Best wishes to everyone for a good new year!
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#39 Posted : 15 January 2015 13:10:50(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello Rob,
similar here. I don't have to protect the layout against the children (6, 11 and 13 years) but against my wife! I know, she doesn't care about what is under her feet. Therefore, I always took care to park the locos in anarea, which can't be reached by her feet.

I'm happy, everything went well, no break, no damage allthough we had up to 9 locos on the small layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365