Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dimi194  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2011 11:47:11(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
I bought the whole Marklin Thomas line from bwbahn. Here are the reviews. (There not very good!) I recommend buying them if you like Thomas as they are a lot eaiser to use than aconverted one. They are very similar to the Hornby ones.

Here is the link:
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline shunter  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2011 13:48:21(UTC)
shunter

Netherlands   
I bought the Thomas set and percy together with some cars a couple of years ago for my twin boys.
The models are very basic but run ok. My boys still love them now they are 10 years old and certainly helped made them enthousiast for the hobby .
When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shunter
Offline Dimi194  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2011 06:02:03(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Yea, I think that Marklin should make them again; Thomas is one reason that young ones start with model railroads, and they choose Hornby or Bachmann becasue of this.
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Offline Darren W  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2011 18:53:26(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I found some of the other videos you posted on youtube my little guy really enjoyed them. I may look in to getting these trains just for the fun of it.BigGrin

Darren
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2011 12:06:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for posting the video.

Sadly both is no longer production.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Dimi194  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2011 04:17:06(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for posting the video.

Sadly both is no longer production.

Yea, but bwbahn still semms to have heaps of them...
Offline husson73  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2011 19:27:41(UTC)
husson73

Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post
I bought the whole Marklin Thomas line from bwbahn. Here are the reviews. (There not very good!) I recommend buying them if you like Thomas as they are a lot eaiser to use than aconverted one. They are very similar to the Hornby ones.

Here is the link:
they are very similar to the Hornby ones for the reason they're Hornby sold under Marklin name in ACCool
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.
Offline Dimi194  
#8 Posted : 28 May 2011 00:16:10(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: husson73 Go to Quoted Post

Here is the link:
they are very similar to the Hornby ones for the reason they're Hornby sold under Marklin name in ACCool

Really? Why would that be?
Offline marklin-ho  
#9 Posted : 11 September 2013 05:17:22(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   
I bought this year the Thomas & Percy set for my son birthday. from BWBAHN
I have no comment about Thomas, the engine work fine

Percy: that is another talk. the 1st engine, we received, was not working properly and the engine was smelling burned. so i send it back for expensive mailing cost.

BWBAHN Replace Percy and send me a 2nd unit. That one is apparently new. It is not even working. so now i'm really upset about it. Cursing

You would expect that they test drive the engine before they send it out.

I really don't know what to think about this dealer. My Local dealer is unable to take over the Warranty because it was purchased in Europe and not in Canada.
Offline Dimi194  
#10 Posted : 11 September 2013 05:30:33(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklin-ho Go to Quoted Post
I bought this year the Thomas & Percy set for my son birthday. from BWBAHN
I have no comment about Thomas, the engine work fine

Percy: that is another talk. the 1st engine, we received, was not working properly and the engine was smelling burned. so i send it back for expensive mailing cost.

BWBAHN Replace Percy and send me a 2nd unit. That one is apparently new. It is not even working. so now i'm really upset about it. Cursing

You would expect that they test drive the engine before they send it out.

I really don't know what to think about this dealer. My Local dealer is unable to take over the Warranty because it was purchased in Europe and not in Canada.

That is really strange. BWbahn have always been great to me, and I suppose because the engines are almost 5 years old, when all they do is sit in a box, things can seize up.
Did you try opening the locos up? It's hard, but you might be able to find the fault better.
The only issue I'd have is that Percy's gear cracked (the one on the axle that conects it to the motor), and because of the limited edition nature of the locos, Marklin stopped making that part, so I have to hope a splash of glue will fix it.
I was thinking of buying a second set to use as spares, so this is a little worrying...
Offline marklin-ho  
#11 Posted : 11 September 2013 05:34:35(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   
Yes i open everything, for to see what happen.

when i put the engine on the track it moves about 10 wheel turn and then stops moving but you can hear that the engine is still turning
when i try to turn by hand, the wheel turn 3/4 turn then you feel that there is something light blocking the rest of the turn,

I open all the parts but was unable to see a defect.
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 11 September 2013 10:12:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

when i put the engine on the track it moves about 10 wheel turn and then stops moving but you can hear that the engine is still turning
when i try to turn by hand, the wheel turn 3/4 turn then you feel that there is something light blocking the rest of the turn,

has it got worm gears
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Dimi194  
#13 Posted : 11 September 2013 12:17:33(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   

That sounds a lot like the gear around the drive axle is cracked, as those are the symptoms of mine Percy-how complicated! I can't help my more, only that it does have a worm gear, and that maybe removing the axles from the body of the loco and inspecting that small black gear around the axle might help?
Can you dealer establish what is wrong? And shouldn't the warranty be universal?

Offline marklin-ho  
#14 Posted : 12 September 2013 05:44:13(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   

That sounds a lot like the gear around the drive axle is cracked, as those are the symptoms of mine Percy-how complicated! I can't help my more, only that it does have a worm gear, and that maybe removing the axles from the body of the loco and inspecting that small black gear around the axle might help?
Can you dealer establish what is wrong? And shouldn't the warranty be universal?

you are right it is the gear on the drive axel, it is not broken but it came loose and sliding on the axel. I will try to get some heavy duty glue on it and see if it will do-it
Offline AshleyH  
#15 Posted : 19 September 2013 17:11:17(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
You will probably need to get a replacement gear because it will be split somewhere and glue will not hold it in position I am afraid.

However, I suspect that the gear will be the same as used in the current Hornby production, Hornby have always been very accommodating in supplying spare parts.

See this exploded diagram

http://www.newmodellerss...heets/hss-200e-0-4-0.pdf

I think the part number is X8004. You should just need to swap the wheels over.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline AshleyH  
#16 Posted : 19 September 2013 17:16:04(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
I have found several X8004 worm and gear sets on UK eBay at GBP 2.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item48557229af

The eBay seller ships worldwide, he is offering complete motorised Percy Chassis for GBP 12.95
Assuming the motor is the same, you would then have a spare motor as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item20d5064a94
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline Dimi194  
#17 Posted : 20 September 2013 03:12:57(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
I have found several X8004 worm and gear sets on UK eBay at GBP 2.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item48557229af

The eBay seller ships worldwide, he is offering complete motorised Percy Chassis for GBP 12.95
Assuming the motor is the same, you would then have a spare motor as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item20d5064a94

Hmmm, that gear looks a little larger than the Marklin one, but I'm tempted to buy it just to find out...
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#18 Posted : 20 September 2013 12:27:22(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   

Here is the link:

Thanks Dimi for all your reviews!..never knew you had posted so many...very well done, and most enjoyable to watch ThumpUp
When were you in Germany? must have neen a little bit of Marklin heaven to see so may Marklin shops - Cape Town has 1....!
Is your layout permanent now..? (We have recently moved, so the old layout was taken down - in the throes now of getting a room sorted for the new layout...can't waitRollEyes
All the very best, Joe, from a FREEZING Crying Cape Town
Offline Dimi194  
#19 Posted : 21 September 2013 00:41:38(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post

Here is the link:

Thanks Dimi for all your reviews!..never knew you had posted so many...very well done, and most enjoyable to watch ThumpUp
When were you in Germany? must have neen a little bit of Marklin heaven to see so may Marklin shops - Cape Town has 1....!
Is your layout permanent now..? (We have recently moved, so the old layout was taken down - in the throes now of getting a room sorted for the new layout...can't waitRollEyes
All the very best, Joe, from a FREEZING Crying Cape Town

Thank you for watching! (I do like my YouTube BigGrin ) I was in Germany in 2011 for a school trip-it was lovely to see Marklin in the department stores, toy shops... even in a general store, next to the fruit and wine! Love Beats Australia, which has 4 all together, and the cloests are 3 hours drive away!
My layout's not permanent (probably won't be until I leave home in a few years!), but that means I can change it up! Building a layout always sounds like a lot of work-good luck!
Dimi BigGrin

(Slightly off topic oh well!)
Offline Mark5  
#20 Posted : 24 December 2014 20:57:26(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I also have the slipping gear of the drive axle on the Percy lok.
You have to take the bottom assembly off to see it.
Was planning to try superglue on it.... very carefully, so I don't mess up the gear.
That said, will check closer if its cracked as mentioned above. I assumed it was too much oil affecting the plastic gear to metal axle.
The problem with replacing the gear is that wheel would have to be removed.
Never done that, since I assumed a wheel press was needed to get it back on properly.
Anyone have any luck with procedure? I am willing to try as this was not a huge expense for me.

Got the the Percy lok and Thomas lok set with cars, track, trafo and two extra cars ("Troublesome trucks") for $100 second hand locally.
Although second hand problems, they seem pretty cheaply made.
My Thomas lok doesn't run and seems a decoder fried.

The girls loved the Thomas train cars though. Especially the troublesome trucks.
They run them with old analog tanks like the 3000
And they really like the movies.
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Dimi194  
#21 Posted : 27 December 2014 11:53:21(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
I also have the slipping gear of the drive axle on the Percy lok.
You have to take the bottom assembly off to see it.
Was planning to try superglue on it.... very carefully, so I don't mess up the gear.
That said, will check closer if its cracked as mentioned above. I assumed it was too much oil affecting the plastic gear to metal axle.
The problem with replacing the gear is that wheel would have to be removed.
Never done that, since I assumed a wheel press was needed to get it back on properly.
Anyone have any luck with procedure? I am willing to try as this was not a huge expense for me.

Got the the Percy lok and Thomas lok set with cars, track, trafo and two extra cars ("Troublesome trucks") for $100 second hand locally.
Although second hand problems, they seem pretty cheaply made.
My Thomas lok doesn't run and seems a decoder fried.

The girls loved the Thomas train cars though. Especially the troublesome trucks.
They run them with old analog tanks like the 3000
And they really like the movies.
- Mark

My dealer glued it for me, using some kind of glue which he said kinda melts the plastic so that it sticks together better. The whole axle part is not available as a spare part sadly :(
They are quite cheaply made, as they use the Hornby plastic shells. And the decoders are very very basic, so would not surprise me if one was a bit fried!
Let us know how the gluing goes!