Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainsman2001  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2014 20:31:44(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Hi Everyone, hope someone can help with a MS2 issue. First of all I have a modest C track layout 5 X 2 1/2 m. The layout consists of 2 large oval and an 8 dead end shunting yard as well as a couple of sidings near the main station. The problem is the MS2 will not allow me to provide power to the layout. I've had the MS2 for almost 3 years. Its acting as though there is a short circuit on the system. I've done the following with no results.

1. Checked the track for possible shorts including moving all locos (8) and cars with lights by hand.

2. Shut down entire system overnight in hope of system reset.

3. Disconnected MS2 from the system and added back.

4. Disconnected the feeder track from the rest of the layout and tried adding power with not results. Checked the connections between the MS2 and feeder track and still no positive results.

5. Switched the MS2 connection on the track box from one outlet to the other with no results.

I had a similar situation a few months back when I inadvertently left the system on after a run session for a few hours and the MS2 acted in the same manner but after shutting the complete system down and restarting the system a few hours later the problem resolved itself.

If anyone has any additional suggestions I would surely appreciate them. I've been working on this problem for a couple of days and am at wits end.

Thanks in advance for any help.........Sandy
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2014 20:38:01(UTC)
Webmaster

Do you have some spare tracks so you can make a temporary short track and connect the MS2 to that,
and test a loco there to make sure it's a fault with the MS2 and not a hidden short on the layout?

8 running locos sounds like a lot to me, maybe you are straining the MS2 power capabilities?
Try to have only one loco on the track and see if that works?

I must add that I do not have an MS2 myself, so I am just speculating here....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline trainsman2001  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2014 14:20:07(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Do you have some spare tracks so you can make a temporary short track and connect the MS2 to that,
and test a loco there to make sure it's a fault with the MS2 and not a hidden short on the layout?

8 running locos sounds like a lot to me, maybe you are straining the MS2 power capabilities?
Try to have only one loco on the track and see if that works?

I must add that I do not have an MS2 myself, so I am just speculating here....

Thanks Juhan for your suggestion. Will give it a try. While there are 8 locos on the layout, I rarely run more than 2 at a time. These have MFX decoders and most have sound. They were all manufactured since 2010. Thanks again........Sandy

Offline GDJTrain65  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2014 21:32:49(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
I have had similar problems 2-3 times, with no power from MS2 to the layout. Then I update the gleisbox/railbox,( sounds strange, yes) unplug the system and restart it. But since you have used your MS2 for three years without doing this, I dont know if that will solve your problem, but maybe worth checking it out.
Offline trainsman2001  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2014 01:04:18(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: GDJTrain65 Go to Quoted Post
I have had similar problems 2-3 times, with no power from MS2 to the layout. Then I update the gleisbox/railbox,( sounds strange, yes) unplug the system and restart it. But since you have used your MS2 for three years without doing this, I dont know if that will solve your problem, but maybe worth checking it out.

Thanks for your suggestion GDJtrain65, but how did you update the railbox, are you talking about the track box or the MS2 controller. I don't have access to a CS2 to update the MS2. I have unplugged the system overnight in hopes it would reset itself but without luck. ...Sandy
Offline GDJTrain65  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2014 00:55:37(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
I updated the MS2 from my CS60215. So, yes, that will be difficult if you dont have one. Maybe you have some dealer or store in your area that can help you, or some friend with CS. You update the trackbox from MS2, but I am afraid that it needs the latest update to make it work in order. Not sure about this.

Whatever it has something to do with your problem or not, you should give your MS2 an update as soon as there is one available, at least as soon you have the opportunity.
Offline trainsman2001  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2014 02:02:30(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: GDJTrain65 Go to Quoted Post
I updated the MS2 from my CS60215. So, yes, that will be difficult if you dont have one. Maybe you have some dealer or store in your area that can help you, or some friend with CS. You update the trackbox from MS2, but I am afraid that it needs the latest update to make it work in order. Not sure about this.

Whatever it has something to do with your problem or not, you should give your MS2 an update as soon as there is one available, at least as soon you have the opportunity.

Thanks for your suggestion. To be honest it would cost more to send the unit off to a dealer for repairs and update than to just purchase a new unit and hope that the unit is the problem. Hopefully if I purchase a new unit it would have the latest MS2 update. Thanks again for all your help, Happy Holidays to you and yours............Sandy
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2014 08:26:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: trainsman2001 Go to Quoted Post
I don't have access to a CS2 to update the MS2.
It can also be updated from an MS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Cyborg  
#9 Posted : 21 December 2014 10:54:39(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi,
I had a similar problem and after first sending my MS2 back to Marklin, only to find there was nothing wrong with it, the problem turned out to be the Digital Connector Box which was replaced under warranty.

Good luck

Paul
Offline trainsman2001  
#10 Posted : 21 December 2014 20:58:39(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: trainsman2001 Go to Quoted Post
I don't have access to a CS2 to update the MS2.
It can also be updated from an MS2.

Thanks Tom, that's good to know, unfortunately I don't have access another MS2 neither, not many if any Marklin RR modelers in this area, one of the unfortunate negatives to being a Marklinista around here..........Sandy
Offline trainsman2001  
#11 Posted : 21 December 2014 21:03:06(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I had a similar problem and after first sending my MS2 back to Marklin, only to find there was nothing wrong with it, the problem turned out to be the Digital Connector Box which was replaced under warranty.

Good luck

Paul

Thanks Paul, unfortunate that one of the drawbacks of the Marklin Digital System, you have 3 basic components any of which can cause this type of issue. The Connector Box is the least expensive of the three to replace. Thanks for your response...........Sandy

Offline trainsman2001  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2015 20:12:53(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Issue Resolved. Thanks to the responses and suggestions from this forum and the outstanding help from the folks at AJC Kids in Wichita Falls, TX, who suggested that I send them my MS2, trackbox and power supply for evaluation, I now can run my layout once again. The problem was quickly determined by Guy and Belle at AJC Kids and as Paul of this forum suggested it was indeed a defective trackbox which was quickly replaced by AJC Kids and all the components returned. It took less than one day for the folks at AJC Kids to determine the issue and send my digital system back to me and less than a week from the time I sent the system in and its return to me. Again a big thanks to Guy and Belle for their tremendous customer service.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by trainsman2001