Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2014 14:45:28(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I added the smoke unit to my 39390 (Marklin 72270) and no smoke Crying According to Marklin's web it should work on my analog layout. I have a 37452 which is similar to it and it works. I tested the copper connector and it has voltage. Next I tested the smoke unit with 16v and it works fine. When I assemble the lok I can "feel" the tension on the smoke unit but I can not see it because of the location so I assume that is not the problem. I think the problem is that the 72270 smoke unit works on higher voltage that is present on digital systems then analog. If that is the case what smoke unit can I use or do you think that a different problem exists?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2014 20:53:45(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The 72270 is the correct type for analogue operation - same voltage specification as the 7226.

Maybe paint is prevent electric contact. This could be a problem with the hole for the smoke generator (normally blank) or the areas where the screws fix the boiler to the frame.

Maybe you can test this with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2014 23:53:05(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks HO I can give it a test tomorrow at least from the unit to the boiler. You must be the oldest member on the form as you listed your birthday 10/27/1903 and I thought I was old at 58.

Today I tested with a continuity tester from the track to inside the smoke unit and it is fine. The problem might be caused by the way the smoke unit touches the contact as part of the frame could be in the way. The instructions say to point the wire towards the front of the lok but it would not be the first time Marklin was wrong. They wonder why plumbers and model railroaders drink BigGrin

Edited by user 19 December 2014 15:03:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2014 01:56:44(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
At least with my lok I found out that do not push the unit all the way and point the wire on bottom towards the cab (opposite from the directions). It works great on my work bench while applying 16v to it. The problem is on the track where one does not work because you would have to run full speed and that would not look very realistic or more importantly cause derailments. I believe the smoke unit is more for digital were there is a higher voltage and options to control the smoke. I have seen options on other smoke units for digital or analog because of this.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2014 08:18:34(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
The problem is on the track where one does not work because you would have to run full speed and that would not look very realistic or more importantly cause derailments.
Märklin and derailments? Never. Impossible.
But seriously: Using a digital controller you should be able to reduce the maximum speed of the loco for analogue operation. I'm afraid with those crippled mfx decoders you will need a Central Station or ECoS to make this change (MS2 will work for mfx decoders bought separately, but not for the factory-installed ones).
With a Central Station/ECoS you can also set the speed characteristics of the loco. Märklin's factory defaults often are, well, let's say strange.

I believe the smoke unit is more for digital were there is a higher voltage and options to control the smoke.
72270 is the standard smoke generator for operating voltages up to 16 V. I think you need at least 12 V to get some smoke.
The point is the loco should not be absurdly fast when the smoke starts.
In my experience there is much variance with the 72270 - some smoke well, some hardly give any smoke. I haven't seen that much variance with the 7226 type.

I have seen options on other smoke units for digital or analog because of this.
You have seen this with some Delta locos (that use 72270 for analogue operation and a higher voltage type - Seuthe #24 - for digital operation. I bet you haven't seen that for mfx locos with a single smoke unit.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2014 08:21:07(UTC)
H0

You must be the oldest member on the form as you listed your birthday 10/27/1903
I found no way to remove the birthday from the forum (YAF imported the birthday from the old forum). In the beginning YAF allowed years between 0001 and 9999, but they restricted the range recently.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline SteamNut  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2014 23:53:22(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Hi Tom I came across some technical data on Seuthe and I believe the one installed is a Seuthe 24 16-22V. I am going to Try Seuthe 20 10-16V. Monday I am stopping at Walthers (40 miles from my house) as they have one in stock and they can also see what else is in my wallet.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2014 08:22:59(UTC)
H0

I believe the one installed is a Seuthe 24 16-22V.
Seuthe #20 and #24 have different colours at the bottom. On their site it looks brown for #20 and green for #24.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage