Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hgk  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2014 07:17:51(UTC)
hgk

Hi, I'm looking for any possible paint matches for Marklin's photo gray paint color. Hopefully Tamiya brand as I can probably get that through Amazon.
I don't have any actual examples so I don't even know what finish to look for. Is it dead flat?

Thanks for any suggestions.
-George
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2014 19:10:55(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: hgk Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I'm looking for any possible paint matches for Marklin's photo gray paint color. Hopefully Tamiya brand as I can probably get that through Amazon.
I don't have any actual examples so I don't even know what finish to look for. Is it dead flat?

Thanks for any suggestions.
-George

Hi George,

Good question.
Are you having a model in photo gray paint or are you wishing to repaint a model from another color to photopaint entirely?
If you have a Marklin model,what is the Marklin catalogue number please?

Whatever the color,the finish will NOT be dead flat,nor will it be shiny,matt is the proper word i guess.
Compare with steamers having a black boiler,always a bit shiny.

Complete grey locomotives during WW2 were having RAL 7011 till somewhere in 1943,thence RAL 7021.
Also saw pre WW2 steamers with a very light grey color,like the BR 80 kept at Bochum-Dalhausen.

The steamer BR 52 was designed for WW2,it is the socalled Kriegslokomotive (=warlocomotive).
The standardcolor was grey all over,as this Fleischmann model shows:

Cheers,
Paul.
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
die-80-003-klassischen-fotografieranstrich-456877.jpg
fleischmann-715205-dampflok-schlepptender-br-52-spur-n_p1.jpg
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Tom Jessop  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2014 22:24:41(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I obtained a colour comparison chart from my hobby shop a couple of weeks ago while looking for RAL9005 [black ]. The chart is printed for a Spanish company called Vallejo in Barcelona . Their web site is www.acrylicosvallejo.com They say the comparison colour for RAL7021 is either Revell 9 ,Tamiya XF69 , or modelcolor 862. There is no mention of RAL 7011. I haven't looked at their colour charts which are on line .

Regards Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline hgk  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2014 02:35:48(UTC)
hgk

Hi,
The warmer gray in the lower 2 locomotives is the color I would like to use. It's just for a locomotive I picked up awhile back that was repainted from it's original black to a flat green and so I wanted to try it in the warm gray color. It's a z scale tank engine but it's prototypical paint color is not important for this project.
UserPostedImage
Knowing it's a matte finish does help. I'm thinking that would be a little flatter than the normal marklin black steam locomotive finish?
Thanks for the link to Vallejo I should also look at the other paint brands mentioned for color charts and order whatever looks closest. I was also hoping to maybe find someone here who has ordered this color before.
Thanks again for your replies and any future ones.
-George
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hgk
Offline Angus  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2014 07:29:01(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hi George

Not so long ago I was building a model plane (still in progress) and painted it with Humbrol 147 (Light Grey) and although the chart colour looks slightly different it did come out pretty close to what you have there in your pic. Keep in mind with these lighter colours, your base colour may also have an effect on the final colour.

http://www.humbrol.com/humbrol-wallchart

Your option, once you have found the colour you want is to then give the loco a clear coat with the required finish.

Hope that helps.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline hgk  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2014 03:18:10(UTC)
hgk

Hi, Thanks for all the input.
I'm beginning to see how difficult it is to select paint colors on a computer. I've ordered this Taiyma color along with a bottle of their semi gloss clear as they didn't list a clear matte. If the semi gloss
is too shiny I can probably find a clear matte in another brand.
It would be so much easier to just walk into a good model shop and see what it really looks like but unfortunately I haven't seen a good model shop in decades -although I do like the surprise factor.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hgk
Offline Angus  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2014 06:56:43(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hi George

Here is a link to some forum where a guy explains how to make flat clear, I've never tried this. Good luck. (http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=228092)

Also be aware that you need to match the clear coat and base paint need. I don't remember which was which (One was acrylic and the other enamel) but I'd done a really cool paint job on a plane and then when I put the clear coat on, the paint went crazy, all bubbled up and peeled in some places.

Test-test-test.

My models have all been packed away for a few months, this is getting my model building juices flowing, a plane or two over my Christmas break is on the cards I think.

Good luck with your re-spraying, I hope it works out the way you want it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 19 December 2014 08:38:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My son finished this loco in Humbrol enamels. I don't know what colour reference he used, but he will be home for Christmas on Sunday so I can ask him if anyone is interested.

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline hgk  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2014 05:01:23(UTC)
hgk

Thanks again for all your replies. Ray, do you know if he purchased the decals or made his own? The painting he did looks great, was the original color black?
If anyone knows where to buy z scale locomotive decals please let me know.
Angus, I'll definitely test the process as wet paint vs dry paint sometimes looks noticeably different. I'm already thinking I might have to add a small touch of black or cool gray to the paint.

thanks,
-Geroge
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 20 December 2014 10:52:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: hgk Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again for all your replies. Ray, do you know if he purchased the decals or made his own? The painting he did looks great, was the original color black?
If anyone knows where to buy z scale locomotive decals please let me know.
Angus, I'll definitely test the process as wet paint vs dry paint sometimes looks noticeably different. I'm already thinking I might have to add a small touch of black or cool gray to the paint.

thanks,
-Geroge

Hi George (Geroge?)

This is a Revell plastic kit, so the decals came with the set. The original colour of the plastic parts is black.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.