Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2014 06:14:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just received this new Liliput model of the SBB RABe 511 KISS double deck trainset. The four coach unit is a very nice model of the latest double deck commuter trainset used by the SBB for the Zurich S-Bahn network. The model comes equipped with one motor in each pilot coach and is equipped with interior lighting and illuminated destination signs and white or red LED headlights.
The aspect and detail are very nice. From eye level, it will be a nice addition to any Swiss themed layout.
Liliput is also releasing a model of the trainset in the livery used by the SBB outside of the Zurich region.

The one downside that I noted was that all lighting is activated by F0 and there is no separate control for the headlights, interior lights or destination sign.
It would be nice if the model had headlights controlled by F0, destination signs by F1 and interior lights activated by F2, leaving F4 for shunting mode.

The other thing that I noticed is that when the train is heading in one direction, there is a humming noise coming from the lead pilot coach when the white LED headlights are on. When you reverse the direction, the hum stops. I checked the other pilot coach to see if the same occurred, but could not detect the same noise from the other end. Is it normal for the LED or circuit board to hum when active?

I will add a photo or two of the model later tonight.

Regards

Mike C
mike c attached the following image(s):
133930-01.jpg
133930-02.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bart  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2014 16:18:49(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
I received mine yesterday as well.
It's a great model but I am underwhelmed by the quality.
My L133930 came without a humming noise, and with a LokPilot 3.0, with headlights and destination lights controlled by F0 and interior lights by F1.
You may want to make sure that the switches in the decoder compartment are set to digital/aux. Factory delivery is in analog mode, which probably explains the all-or-nothing lights control.
Alternatively, you may be able to reprogram the Lokpilot Aux settings.

Too bad, mine does not move: the front end motor seems to be mounted incorrectly and does not connect to the drive train. I will be returning it to Germany today Angry .

Regards
Bart
*Bart
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2014 18:17:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One of the pilot coaches can move on it's own. The other one needs to be connected to it in order for that one to function.
When you had the problem, did the lighting work throughout the train?
It could be a wiring connection between coaches.
What happens when you connect just the two end coaches?

My model had one other little minor problem on delivery. One of the axles was not sitting properly in the bogie and was shorting out against the AC slider. That took about 1 second to diagnose and rectify.

Thanks for the information about the switches. That is good to know. Once I have changed the settings, I can use my Lokprogrammer to change the settings so that F1 is also activated in analog mode.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bart  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2014 23:17:55(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Unfortunately, it was not an electronics problem.
Connections are fine, all lights and both motors work, but one is just mounted too far from the gears in the bogey to connect.

In addition, I had the same problem with the axles coming off, as the plastic frame holding the axles is not too rigid.
Still, I love the looks and the details of this model.

Regards
Bart
*Bart
Offline mascagni  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2014 17:22:07(UTC)
mascagni

Hi, I was just in Zuerich for a PhD defense at ETH. I bought this model, but thought you might want some pictures from the Zuerich Hauptbanhof of the real thing.--MM
RABe 511 in Zuri HB
The side of same
mascagni attached the following image(s):
IMG_20141201_154742202.jpg
IMG_20141201_154943441.jpg
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mascagni
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2014 21:18:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Michael,

did you acquire any other interesting models on your trip? Did you have a chance to inspect the new parts of the station?

Regards

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2014 10:01:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thank you for the information Mike.

Looks really like a nice model, but still with the little quirks we have been used to with Liliput: superb models with outstanding proportions and details but practically always with small detail problems.

I will probably get one on my next trip to Switzerland, and very carefully inspect and test before taking ownership!!

One idea about the one-direction humming sound: it is probably due to the pick up inversion relay.
Short of seeing the electrical diagram, I will not venture any possible remedy.

However if , as I speculate, the relay is activated by one of the outputs of the Lokpilot, you may try to change the corresponding output (AUX 2??) to a different function, or even lower its output PWM value to test for reduced noise.
It may also simply be fed in parallel with the corresponding white headlights (F0r) , In which case you can probably reduce the output quite a lot as LEDs usually still shine satisfactorily with much reduced voltages.

Some experimenting may be needed!Wink

A Lokprogrammer, if you have one, would be a great help of course BigGrin
Cheers and Happy Holydays!!
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline mascagni  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2014 14:22:27(UTC)
mascagni

On my last trip to Zuri I had time to give a talk in Informatik at ETH, stand in judgement of a fine PhD student in Informatik/Mathematik, and have dinner with the family of one of my former students at ETH. The dad is a mathematician, and he played violin with me in several orchestras in Zuri. His son is now an assistant professor of Physics at the University of Michigan, and I am visiting him in January in Michigan. I was in town for three nights, and so I feel lucky that I got nice Xmas presents for the kids and my wife. One new thing at ETH is that they now have the "ETH Store" that is open about 2 hours three days per week. Before, you were lucky if you left town with a pen with the ETH logo on it!!

I was able to walk to Zuri Tech, formerly Zuba Tech, which is a five minute walk from Central or the lower station of the Polybahn. They had a Swiss two-train/MS2 starter set on special (Re460 in red and a green Ae 6/6) for CHF 530. It looked interesting, but I had everything they had in the box, and didn't need a 220V transformer. My problem is that since I am not at home in Florida, I have at best transient time for a carpetbahn in my bedroom in Bethesda!! I have kind of put a pause on my trains until I am back form sabbatical.--MM
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2014 15:39:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I have to ask- is it worth the steep price tag knowing all the quicks? Seems like a great set for $300-350US, but not $550-600...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mascagni  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2015 15:01:23(UTC)
mascagni

Dear Forum: I have the Liliput SBB RABe 511 L133930 (AC), and I ran it fine on a track controlled by an MS2. When I put it on a track run by a CS2, there was a strong buzzing sound coming from the car with the decoder, and it would not run. I have not played it with it much since, but I am on the verge of returning it, but would like to at least diagnose the problem.

I have a reasonable set of tools, but I am currently away from my house, on sabbatical. So my resources are somewhat limited, for example, I do not have my soldering iron here.

I would like to get this working, as it is a nice train, and can supposedly accommodate a Loksound decoder to make it much more fun. I have ridden these many times, and here is a different picture from a different trip to Zuri in the summer of a related train, the RABe 514 004-1.

RAB 514 004-1 in the outdoor S-Bahn tracks at the Zuri HB

BTW, I am temporarily in the DC area, and I would entertain advice from folks on:

-Train shops near DC
-Members of our community near me (I am in Bethesda)

Thanks.--MM