Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KingBuick  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2013 00:41:18(UTC)
KingBuick

Hi everyone. I just was curious if there are any M enthusiasts who live in the DC or Philly area.

I'm in South Philadelphia.

Cheers!

Tadeusz.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by KingBuick
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2013 08:49:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Tadeusz,

There is a rather large shop in Gilbertsville (NW of Philadelphia) called Modellbahn Ott. I remember seeing some Maerklin at a museum in the Lancaster area, but the shop there did not have any European.
There are a few dealers in New Jersey as well as further north in PA (Scranton, etc). These would be good places (along with this forum) to find other people with similar interests to you. There are also a few dealers in the Washington area, most of them in VA, including Helmut's Hobbies.

Regards

Mike C
Offline KingBuick  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2013 00:44:59(UTC)
KingBuick

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Tadeusz,

There is a rather large shop in Gilbertsville (NW of Philadelphia) called Modellbahn Ott. I remember seeing some Maerklin at a museum in the Lancaster area, but the shop there did not have any European.
There are a few dealers in New Jersey as well as further north in PA (Scranton, etc). These would be good places (along with this forum) to find other people with similar interests to you. There are also a few dealers in the Washington area, most of them in VA, including Helmut's Hobbies.

Regards

Mike C

I got my PRR GG1 loco from Modellbahn Ott last year. It was a good experience in terms of transaction.

I've been to the dealer in Scranton and in the DC area. I would not recommend Trains Etc. before since the previous owner was not professional, but now that the owner is new I would.

Cheers!

Tadeusz.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
Offline Jester1724  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2013 04:31:06(UTC)
Jester1724

United States   
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and recently got into the hobby.
I saw this thread and thought it was relevant to comment. I live about 10 minutes from Modellbahn Ott Hobbies in Gilbertsville. My parents bought me a Marklin set from there back in the early 90's and last year (I'm not really sure why) I got it out from their attic and BAM! Next thing I know I'm hooked. As of late it seems I'm stopping in there every other week.

So much to get caught up on!

Best of luck.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jester1724
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2013 05:37:59(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Jester1724 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and recently got into the hobby.
I saw this thread and thought it was relevant to comment. I live about 10 minutes from Modellbahn Ott Hobbies in Gilbertsville. My parents bought me a Marklin set from there back in the early 90's and last year (I'm not really sure why) I got it out from their attic and BAM! Next thing I know I'm hooked. As of late it seems I'm stopping in there every other week.

So much to get caught up on!

Best of luck.

Unfortunately you have contracted the deadly wallet killing disease "Marklinitis". there is no known cure.

Please pay $20 for the consultation to the receptionist .

Thanks,

Dr OGN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline EuroKev  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2013 14:55:42(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Hello, I am a long time marklin enthusiast living in the Harrisburg PA area also looking for somewhat local area stores and other collectors / enthusiasts, meets etc.. Thanks
Kev
Offline EuroKev  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2014 16:03:51(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
I've been away from the forum for a while and still no other Marklin nuts in the area? I am going to revive this post to see if anyone is out there. Thanks
Kev
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2014 17:44:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Kev,

did you send a private message to Jester1724. He said that he lived close to Modellbahn Ott. Tadeusz may also still be in the Philadelphia area. Send him a message too.
You can probably also ask at Modellbahn Ott whether there are other modellers nearby. Maybe you can post a note in the shop with your email?

Regards

Mike C
Offline johnsuemd  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2014 23:02:37(UTC)
johnsuemd

United States   
Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. I just was curious if there are any M enthusiasts who live in the DC or Philly area.

Cheers!

Tadeusz.

There is the Keystone Chapter of the European Train Enthusiasts (ETE) located in Ephrata, PA. That is 10 miles NE of Lancaster. zThere is a large modular layout and they are always interested in having new members.

Best,
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnsuemd
Offline EuroKev  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2014 05:28:19(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Thanks for the info. I will check out the Keystone chapter of the ETE. I just met people from the New England chapter at a train show on Saturday in Springfield MA. Very nice people.

Until now I did not even know there was a Keystone chapter.

I've been to Modelbhann ott's many times but I never thought to ask about a local network of enthusiasts. They are almost two hours drive for me. Baltimore Maryland would be closer for me than Gilbertsville or Philly.

Kev
Offline Casey jones  
#11 Posted : 02 May 2014 02:32:39(UTC)
Casey jones

There are a few in the Allentown area. At local train shows I see more and more items offered. I would enjoy conversing with more Marklin enthusiasts anytime. My wife refers to herself as the Train Widow. Not true !
Offline Ian555  
#12 Posted : 02 May 2014 22:07:17(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Ian555  
#13 Posted : 02 May 2014 22:08:52(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Casey,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline EuroKev  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2014 06:46:15(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Hello again everyone. I am bringing this thread back from a long sleep to see if there are any new or existing local M enthusiasts in the general area. For me, when I have to turn up the thermostat in my house, I know it's time again to re-ignite the model railroad nut inside of me and start working with my Marklin collection. Thanks for any replies.
Kev
Offline mascagni  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2015 13:51:55(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: I am temporarily in the DC area, on my sabbatical. I am physically living in Bethesda, and I would be happy to hear from anyone in shouting distance that is here that does European trains in general, and 3-rail in particular.

In addition, please let me know of good shops, really ANY shops in the area. Thanks.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline petestra  
#16 Posted : 11 February 2015 19:11:13(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: mascagni Go to Quoted Post
Hi: I am temporarily in the DC area, on my sabbatical. I am physically living in Bethesda, and I would be happy to hear from anyone in shouting distance that is here that does European trains in general, and 3-rail in particular.

In addition, please let me know of good shops, really ANY shops in the area. Thanks.--MM

Hi Michael. I live in Leesburg if you want the ca35 mile drive. You can view my layout here on the forum pages, Facebook and YouTube. Last time we had a get-together here at my house was just

this last October with Brandon (brandonva) and Patrik (NewMB) who was visiting from Germany. We really had a nice afternoon. Cheers,Peter

PS- I deal with Lokshop in Karlsruhe, Germany. Helmuts Hobbies is an Internet only business in the area. I send Scott there all repairs. He is excellent.
Offline sedgar2  
#17 Posted : 12 May 2015 02:26:33(UTC)
sedgar2

United States   
I am new to the board and in the Fredericksburg, Va area. I used to deal with Trains Etc, what happened to the ownership? The past owner would discount some item, but his wife was the stereotypical 'shopkeeper's wife'.
Would like to hear from enthusiasts in the area...
Offline petestra  
#18 Posted : 12 May 2015 14:00:35(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: sedgar2 Go to Quoted Post
I am new to the board and in the Fredericksburg, Va area. I used to deal with Trains Etc, what happened to the ownership? The past owner would discount some item, but his wife was the stereotypical 'shopkeeper's wife'.
Would like to hear from enthusiasts in the area...

Hi sedgar2, welcome. I've been a Märklin operator/collector for many, many years. I live in Leesburg for the last 19 years. Anyway, mainly I use Lokshop in

Karlsruhe,Germany. They offer very good prices but, of course, the shipping is costly. If you order from them and ask to hold things for you until you have

enough items to justify the shipping they will accommodate your wishes. I have an order coming now. I just figured out the prices on my current order and

I have saved about $150.00 from ordering in the USA. That's with the Euro at 1.12.

Also, Scott from Helmut's Hobbies is very good. He is the best in the land when it comes to repairs and digital conversions. He is internet only and in Warrenton,Va.

I have also purchased some items from ajckids.com in Texas. Their prices aren't bad.

Peter Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline PhredD  
#19 Posted : 30 July 2015 03:41:05(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Just noticed this thread - Peter, thanks for the Lokshop mention, and mentioning their willingness to hold items for shipping.

For Sedgar2, as you've seen the Trains ETC store has been gone for awhile - however, the owner, Burrell, now holds down the fort by himself at Hobbies ETC in Warrenton, with mostly older stock, and still amenable to working discounts. I've gotten some great things from collections he's bought/traded, and drive out from Burke to there every couple months or so. I can usually find anything on ebay if I wait long enough, but it's always fun to be able to see and hold actual items.

Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhredD
Offline Dr. Honeydew  
#20 Posted : 20 August 2015 21:37:46(UTC)
Dr. Honeydew

United States   
Also just noticed this thread. I am just getting into collecting Marklin items. It seemed to be a good option for my desire to model modern Swiss passenger and freight. I am in the Ashburn area, so not too far from you, Peter.

I just purchased something from www.reynaulds.com. Their service was good and prices quite reasonable. It still would be nice to have a local hobby store to deal with.

Glad I discovered this site.
Offline rrf  
#21 Posted : 20 August 2015 23:28:55(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I'm in Silver Spring, Maryland. There appears to be enough of us in the DC Metro area that IMHO we should get together and meet each other. Who knows, perhaps it could even become a semi-regular event.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline petestra  
#22 Posted : 21 August 2015 01:04:16(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dr. Honeydew Go to Quoted Post
Also just noticed this thread. I am just getting into collecting Marklin items. It seemed to be a good option for my desire to model modern Swiss passenger and freight. I am in the Ashburn area, so not too far from you, Peter.

I just purchased something from www.reynaulds.com. Their service was good and prices quite reasonable. It still would be nice to have a local hobby store to deal with.

Glad I discovered this site.

Hi Dr.H. Welcome to the forum. There is Leesburg Hobbies here in town but they do not sell Marklin but you can get some "incidentals" like trees, lychen etc. Peter.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Dr. Honeydew  
#23 Posted : 21 August 2015 06:51:43(UTC)
Dr. Honeydew

United States   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm in Silver Spring, Maryland. There appears to be enough of us in the DC Metro area that IMHO we should get together and meet each other. Who knows, perhaps it could even become a semi-regular event.

Sounds like a good idea.
Offline petestra  
#24 Posted : 21 August 2015 12:40:32(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi guys, Brandon (Brandonva) lives here in Leesburg too. He has been here often. You are all welcome to visit. Just let me know. I am retired so I'm home

often. Peter Cool
Offline PhredD  
#25 Posted : 21 August 2015 21:51:27(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Peter,
That's very kind of you - it'd be fun to meet up with folks in the area. Any particular day/time most convenient for you?
Cheers,
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline petestra  
#26 Posted : 21 August 2015 22:24:52(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: PhredD Go to Quoted Post
Peter,
That's very kind of you - it'd be fun to meet up with folks in the area. Any particular day/time most convenient for you?
Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred, well as I stated I'm retired so really anytime is good but I would prefer any early afternoon 1,2pm ish. If you or the others still work I'm sure

we can work around things. Brandon is a young man with a young family so he is usually available on weekend afternoons. I guess we will hear from

some of the others as to when it's good for them too? Peter Cool
Offline rrf  
#27 Posted : 22 August 2015 00:04:11(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

Weekends are better for me. I don't expect to retire until they carry me out of my house in a box. Smile

Also We've got five little ones in the house, so advance planning is important, so I can clear things with beautiful wife.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline PhredD  
#28 Posted : 22 August 2015 21:51:55(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Weekends work well for me also ( a bit easier than getting an afternoon off), so Peter, sounds like you've got Rob and me so far . . .
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline petestra  
#29 Posted : 22 August 2015 22:09:52(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Sounds good, Fred. Brandon will probably join in too. I'll wait for a few more answers back and then we can set a date for some weekend afternoon.

Cheers,Peter Smile ThumpUp
Offline petestra  
#30 Posted : 29 August 2015 15:02:50(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi. I think sometime after Labor Day weekend will be good? How do you all feel about Sat. Sept. 19th, say between 1 and 2 pm? Brandon says that

he will probably attend too. So this makes me, Brandon, Fred and Rob. Anyone else in the area is of course welcome. Just let me know. Peter Cool Cool

PS Sorry 9/12/15 is not good for me. I'm going to a fair in MD with some friends that day. Peter.
Offline PhredD  
#31 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:14:47(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Peter, day and time sound great.
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline rrf  
#32 Posted : 04 September 2015 23:42:10(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I just checked with Beautiful Wife ... No prior commitments on the 19th. Just added our event to my calander.

So where did I just commit to drive to Wink
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline petestra  
#33 Posted : 05 September 2015 00:36:25(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks for answering back, Rob. Happy you're coming over. I will PM you and Fred with details. Have a good LD Weekend. Cheers,Peter ThumpUp Smile

PS - Oh, you're all welcome to bring any digital loks you may wish to run on the layout.Peter
Offline rrf  
#34 Posted : 20 September 2015 15:49:02(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I would like to thank Petestra for his hospitality and hosting of our small get together yesterday. It was great to meet him, PhredD and BrandonVA in person. It was also quite nice to see a couple of my more recent Lok purchases running on a proper layout Smile
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline PhredD  
#35 Posted : 20 September 2015 15:54:57(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
What Rob said - thanks Peter - great to be able to meet outside the virtual world, and for Rob, Brandon and I running our Loks on such a terrific layout.
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PhredD
Offline EuroKev  
#36 Posted : 22 September 2015 09:26:09(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Just peeked in the forum for the first time all summer. I am glad to see many people from the general area. i will be checking in more often now that my summer activities are winding down.
Kev
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EuroKev
Offline petestra  
#37 Posted : 22 September 2015 18:35:04(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I didn't take too many photos from out Sat. Sept. 19th get-together at my house. There was lots of Märklin talk and running though. We had a very

nice afternoon. Attendees were myself (petestra) , Brandon (BrandonVa), Rob (rrf) and Fred (PhredD).

Fred, left and Rob

UserPostedImage

Rob Brought over his BR53

UserPostedImage

Two Crocs, Swiss and German.

UserPostedImage

Cheers,Peter.Cool Cool
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline aquaanox  
#38 Posted : 03 December 2015 17:01:39(UTC)
aquaanox

United States   
So im the DC area, Potomac, MD and really need help figuring out a Marklin digital system ( I have a newer starter set with cs2 ) and trying to build a fully automated layout (and I have no clue what im doing) :) this is my first model railroad.

Anyone ? thanks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aquaanox
Offline petestra  
#39 Posted : 03 December 2015 17:58:09(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: aquaanox Go to Quoted Post
So im the DC area, Potomac, MD and really need help figuring out a Marklin digital system ( I have a newer starter set with cs2 ) and trying to build a fully automated layout (and I have no clue what im doing) :) this is my first model railroad.

Anyone ? thanks.

Hi. I answered one of your ?s on the digital thread. Cheers,Peter.
Offline chrisdc  
#40 Posted : 09 February 2016 21:36:58(UTC)
chrisdc

United States   
Hi all,

I'm in the DC area and recently getting back in Marklin as an adult after being sent home at Christmas with my childhood Marklin trains and layout. Would love to connect with fellow Marklin enthusiasts in the DC area as I get back into this hobby.

C
Offline pdiamd  
#41 Posted : 12 February 2016 10:28:00(UTC)
pdiamd

United States   
Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post

I'm originally from South Philadelphia. I moved over the bridge about 25 minutes away in Erial NJ. I have been a Marklin collector since the 80's. Welcome to the forum
Cheers!

Tadeusz.

Pat
CS2...MS2...Marklin Digital and Analog....Steam and Diesel Era III & IV...Insider Member
Favorites Br01, Br23, German and Swiss Crocodiles
Offline Atebit  
#42 Posted : 21 February 2016 23:10:31(UTC)
Atebit

United States   
I just posted in the Welcome forum as well...I'm near the Lancaster PA area in case anyone is nearby. I'm pretty much in the same boat as aquaanox, just starting out with digital so will have lots of questions no doubt.
Offline BrandonVA  
#43 Posted : 24 February 2016 19:54:35(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi,

I don't think I know too much, but what I do know about MS2/CS2/digital operation I'm happy to share. Peter and I both live within a couple of miles of each other.

-Brandon