Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2014 20:04:52(UTC)
H0

Hi!

My French is a bit "rusty" and it was never really good.

I think we have a few native French speakers in the forum.

Dialogue #1:
"sont" should be after the number and there should be a full stop at the end of the sentence.
H0 attached the following image(s):
cs2_address_error_mfx_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2014 20:06:24(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #2:
I think there should be no full stops here.
cs2_loco_properties_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2014 20:08:12(UTC)
Webmaster

Mais, c'est terrible...

Je pense que le "sont" ont va été avant les numeros...

(Sorry for my bad French here...)
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2014 20:09:03(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #3:
"ppale" looks odd to me. I think it would be "p’pale" according to English or German rules, but how about French?
I think there are two spaces at "voie progr" - and I think there should be a full stop at this line.
cs2_setup_info_information_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2014 20:51:11(UTC)
Webmaster

I am actually seriously thinking about suggesting that this international forum should go into a cooperation with M to sort out their language problems in products...

Am I asking too much?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline jeehring  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2014 21:01:58(UTC)
jeehring

Dialogue #1
as a french it is for me incomprehensible ...unintelligible....

I do not even understand what they mean nor they want to mean.
I can only guess that they are talking about a number of addresses ? Or quantity of available addresses ?...But it's only my guess as a marklinist (because of the number 65xxx)
Perhaps I should look at the English version ......?
However, there are 2 sentences, the first sentence is correct.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2014 00:07:38(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

My French is a bit "rusty" and it was never really good.

I think we have a few native French speakers in the forum.

Dialogue #1:
"sont" should be after the number and there should be a full stop at the end of the sentence.

Hi Tom,

I'm going to provide my 2 cents to that badly translated sentences.

Dialogue #1:
"L'adresse de la locomotive n'est pas valide" is OK.
The second sentence should be written as "Pour le protocole sélectionné, les adresses de locomotives dans la gamme 1-65536 sont seulement permises."

Cheers
Fabrice
PS: Even if you pretend not having a good knowledge of French language, you know some basic French grammar rules - I know, it's a real hell even for French people - better than M translators...
Offline French_Fabrice  
#8 Posted : 06 May 2014 00:17:59(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Dialogue #3:
"ppale" looks odd to me. I think it would be "p’pale" according to English or German rules, but how about French?
I think there are two spaces at "voie progr" - and I think there should be a full stop at this line.

This one is harder:
"ppale" is a contraction of "principale". It's not really well written French, but native French people will understand immediately the meaning. There is no rule using apostrophe when contracting a word in French language... So let's say it's acceptable.
About the 2nd sentence, you're right: "Courant voie progr."

Cheers
Fabrice

PS: When looking at the picture, the bottom menu contains the word "Acoustique" Confused . Does this menu entry provide access to sound management features ? If yes, then "Acoustique" should be replaced by "Son" . "Acoustique" is the translation of "Acoustics", and I doubt this menu provides a full education on such a complex topic Blink .
Offline French_Fabrice  
#9 Posted : 06 May 2014 00:19:36(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Dialogue #2:
I think there should be no full stops here.

You are correct.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline French_Fabrice  
#10 Posted : 06 May 2014 00:23:34(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Mais, c'est terrible...

Je pense que le "sont" ont va été avant les numeros...

(Sorry for my bad French here...)

Slight update, Juhan: Smile
Je pense que le "sont" va avant les numéros...

Cheers
Fabrice

Edited by user 06 May 2014 08:27:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 25 May 2014 21:24:58(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #4 (coming from the new 3.6.2 version):

"Mise à jou" looks incomplete. Is "Rei" complete?
"FS" is German.
configuration_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 25 May 2014 21:26:43(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #5:

There are two keys for "°" and "c". Did they mean to make a key for "ç"? That would make more sense ...

Not marked with red, but the key for "á" is probably of little use for French. Did they mean "à"?
keyboard_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 25 May 2014 21:30:13(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #6:

Yes, this is the French screen - just look at "Clef USB". Definitely French.
Hardly any German or English phrases on this screen.
setup_cs2_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 25 May 2014 21:32:10(UTC)
H0

Dialogue #7:
The new setup tab "emps modèl".
setup_modeltime_fr.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 25 May 2014 21:48:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I'm only loosely following this topic, having no knowledge of French at all but I can certainly appreciate the frustration of what seems a lazy attempt at translation, we get a similar thing particularly in PC's and also food products with items of Oriental origin, some of it is laughable and you wonder why the final 'just before printing' texts are not run past a professional speaker of the native language for proof-reading?

But my main question is apart from airing these examples here, are they also being fed back directly to Märklin for improvement in their software?, Surely they'd appreciate the free input.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 26 May 2014 07:59:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
But my main question is apart from airing these examples here, are they also being fed back directly to Märklin for improvement in their software?

I sent several e-mails to Märklin Service. They always reply with "Thank you. We will forward it." (or something to that effect).

It's my experience over years that many e-mails sent there will be forwarded to /dev/null and will never reach a competent person.
And e-mail send about a bug with the MS2 version 1.81 led to changes with version 2.10 - so sometimes e-mails sent to Märklin Service actually reach someone who is in charge. The bug is not yet fixed with version 2.30, but there is still hope ...

I asked for a developer e-mail address - but they ignored that question.
I asked for the best format to submit translation proposals - but they ignored that question.

The translations here are "work in progress" and since I don't know what they need, I sent them links to the threads here.
If I should get instructions from them, I will compile the suggested translations in the form they need.

The easiest way for both sides would be if Märklin would send localized resource files to trusted native speakers (have them sign non-disclosure agreements first) and them improve the source files directly.
Or go open source and publish the localized resources for everyone ...

Such a program is a maze - and some messages may be amazingly difficult to invoke. Resource files make this much simpler.
OTOH the translations must be reviewed in the real program to see whether they fit.

BTW: M$ Word comes with a mighty spell checker. If they would simply open the localized resources with Word, they could eliminate all the simple typos for all languages (such as "locomive", "peform", "successfull", "adress", ...).

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Surely they'd appreciate the free input.
I don't know.
The discussion here started too late to influence version 3.6.2 because obviously those files were compiled in April.
But maybe we will see some changes with the next release.

This post is a bit OT here as it applies to all translations.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline French_Fabrice  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2014 16:34:32(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi,

I think there is some design flaw in the GUI. Some text cells seem to be "fixed size with centered text", which may explain some of the incomplete translation we see.
That's a problem when applying translation, because when words are longer than the cell size they are truncated.

#Dialogue 4:
"Mise à jour" is truncated
"Rei" doesn't mean anything ! If I set the GUI in English language, I see "Rst" which I suppose means "Reset". So in case "Reset" is the expected meaning, then "Ràz" (Remise à Zéro) would mean the same thing.
I don't know what "FS" means. What I've noticed with 3.6.2 is now "FS" shows the speed step of the decoder and no more a percentage as before.

#Dialogue 5:
This keyboard arrangement is very bad ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown.
"á" is of no use in French. It should be "à"
"c" below 9 should be "ç". Either it's an error, or a truncation problem.

#Dialogue 6:
A lot of non translated words. By the way "Clé USB" is correct. You can use two spellings "Clé" or "Clef" for a "key". Both are valid.

#Dialogue 7:
Once again, a truncated text.

My 2 cents
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 08 June 2014 14:49:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
You can use two spellings "Clé" or "Clef" for a "key". Both are valid.
I know that.
But in French the noun comes first (as in VF = Vache folle: "cow mad", not "mad cow"). So BUS instead of USB would be the least I'd expect.

In English it is "computer". In German it is "computer". In French it is "l'ordinateur".
In English it is "byte". In German it is "byte". In French it is "l'octet".
In English it is "walkman". In German it is "walkman". In French it is "balladeur".
So the French don't have an own term for USB? I never expected that! Wink

A bit off topic: Is there a special meaning of "x" in the French language?
Or is it just a placeholder for a missing French translation?
ms2_french.jpg
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline French_Fabrice  
#19 Posted : 13 June 2014 21:32:59(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   

So the French don't have an own term for USB? I never expected that! Wink

A bit off topic: Is there a special meaning of "x" in the French language?
Or is it just a placeholder for a missing French translation?

Yes, Tom, you're right: USB has no translation. The English word is used as is. Don't try to speak about a "BUS clef" to a French guy, he will never understand that !OhMyGod

About "x", this letter may be used to indicate an unknown name for a First Name or Last Name. But in the case you depict, I think your 2nd assumption is the good one (missing translation).
Cheers
fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Renato  
#20 Posted : 14 June 2014 00:19:18(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post

I don't know what "FS" means. What I've noticed with 3.6.2 is now "FS" shows the speed step of the decoder and no more a percentage as before.

Hi Fabrice,

FS = FahrStufen i.e. speed steps

Cheers

Renato
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Renato
Offline xxup  
#21 Posted : 14 June 2014 04:05:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
...A bit off topic: Is there a special meaning of "x" in the French language?..

'X' has a very special meaning in the French Language. When placed on the ground in Gaul, it is used to attract curious Romans for the purpose of placing a suitable Menhir by Obilex. The photo below shows the aftermath of the engagement. The 34 volume history of Gaul's non-occupation by Romans was documented by those leading French historians Messers René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo.

UserPostedImage

From http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?117480-Asterix-polystone-figures-by-Plastoy/page2
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 12 December 2014 10:01:26(UTC)
H0

The French translation of the mfx+ Spielewelt was made with the same care for detail we see with everything that Märklin does (I only tried the PC version of the CS2).
CS2_French_cab_imitation.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage