Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2014 15:55:26(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys ,I tried to run the 4 Primex I got from Warwick & Warwick. They all have Marklin 6080 . Two of run ok but need to be checked for oil and greese etc The other 2 wont move ,not a sound out of them. The wheels do move side to side but thats all .I did try to move by hand carefully but wont budge. Is there some liquid like WD40 that I can spray on the gears and let it soak in and hopefully unclog it or do I have to take off all the rods and then the wheels to fix. I know the locos have been sitting for best part of 20 years so bound to be stiff. Thanks Eddie. Confused Confused
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:04:53(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, i have used WD 40 in the past, but plenty of it!!!!! You have to be sure to remove all oil residues left. Then remove WD 40 with other solvent and then 're-oil.
I think now that if I have to do it again, I will use just Benzin or something similar
WD40 tends to attract lots of dirt itself
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:07:55(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Check the locos with pickup shoe are cleaning.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline MalinAC  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:13:38(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Franciscohg, Will see if I can get Benzin or something similar where I live. Many thanks Eddie
Offline MalinAC  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:17:42(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Steven, the pickup shoes are fine.
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:19:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Ahhh, petrol i think You say.....Not that hard to find i think XD
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:27:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys ,I tried to run the 4 Primex I got from Warwick & Warwick. They all have Marklin 6080 . Two of run ok but need to be checked for oil and greese etc The other 2 wont move ,not a sound out of them. The wheels do move side to side but thats all .I did try to move by hand carefully but wont budge. Is there some liquid like WD40 that I can spray on the gears and let it soak in and hopefully unclog it or do I have to take off all the rods and then the wheels to fix. I know the locos have been sitting for best part of 20 years so bound to be stiff. Thanks Eddie. Confused Confused

I won a lot of twelve locos, (the lot pictured with the S-bahn and Zugspitzbahn trains) and suspect I will have to go through the same loop. The warranties on mine all have dates from early to mid 1990's, and are supposedly 'brand new'. Quite why the seller had them converted to digital and didn't run them, goodness knows.

By the way, the buyer of most of the lots (or so I'm told by those who were there) is putting them up for auction on eBay at great profit ...

eBay auction Follow the 'sellers auctions' link under his name and you will see many lots you will recognise.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MalinAC  
#8 Posted : 08 December 2014 16:42:17(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Alan, I checked and I think he was at both auctions and got a huge amount of stuff.Some of his prices seem a bit high. I love the way they put "rare"in the description.If you or I went to sell same item its just run of the mill stuff. Take care Eddie
Offline Ian555  
#9 Posted : 08 December 2014 18:47:33(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the link,

That seller was mentioned at our last club meeting.

Ian.

Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2014 19:52:56(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Eddie,

If you have some "verhartz" locos = locos with gears jammed because they have hardened "oil" or grease do like this:

Open loco motors and put some drops of very lightweight oil to the sides of the gears and basically everywhere where you can see that usually green colored old hard grease. When this lightweight oil (I use Faller oil myself) has been there for a while it softens that hard grease. Put also one tiny drop of this same lightweight oil on the wheel axles (one drop per side).

Then take something you can press towards the gears sides and try to rotate the wheels very carefully without too much force. This way you can clean the gear sides when they are rotating if you are able to get them moving. Be especially careful with steam locos and locos with side rods. You should be able to basically clean all that old hardened grease off from the gears sides with this method. I use those cotton "sticks" normally used to clean ears. I have managed to cure many jammed locos (tens of them) with this "method".

It's always a pleasure to find almost unused locos with this "problem" as with very small efforts they are also running like the new ones did during the days those locos were sold from Märklin.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Tom Jessop  
#11 Posted : 08 December 2014 22:22:08(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Slightly off topic but I just cruised thru the shop site of the gentleman concerned at the auction . Some interesting items not just M but other makes also , prices seem to be a bit over the top for some things & others about normal 2nd hand prices . Oh to have a few grand to spend on a couple of those hand made models with only a very limited run .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline Robert Davies  
#12 Posted : 08 December 2014 23:36:29(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I also bought some locos etc from the Warwick and Warwick auction. All worked well except one - a Brawa E77 - which hummed loudly but would not move.

I stripped it down completely and found that the bearings on the worm drives which engage with the drive gears on the bogies were absolutely solid. I lifted the worms and their bearings out of the bogies and was eventually able to get the worms to rotate in the bearings. Once I had broken the 'seal' all was well but I put some penetrating oil on the bearings and the loco now runs silky smooth.

Some of the locos have definitely been a long time in their boxes!

Also
kiwiAlan wrote:
By the way, the buyer of most of the lots (or so I'm told by those who were there) is putting them up for auction on eBay at great profit ...

You only make a profit if you can sell them!
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 09 December 2014 00:00:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post

kiwiAlan wrote:

You only make a profit if you can sell them!

Yeah, but there are people out there who think everything on ebay is a bargain ...Blink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline analogmike  
#14 Posted : 09 December 2014 02:53:59(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post

hello eddie; the first thing is to see if the armature is locked up. remove body shell, use tweezers to pull out the brushes. see if you can turn the wheels with your thumb. if the problem is caused by old, hardened grease dirt etc. i would not hesitate to (GENTLY) remove the coil/magnate, contact brushes, armature. when you have the transmission/drive wheel assembly stripped down you can spray it with a little penetrating oil and work it free. once all motion is happy in gearland, blast out all that old gook with compressed air (100 psi will do). you will never mach the potential force to remove these old lubricants that compressed air can achieve. ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWARE AND GLOVES!. then reassemble. check your armature gaps and clean (gently). before installing new brushes i like to turn the wheels with my thumb just to make sure the armature spins freely in it's new clean habitat. do not remove the wheels. do not remove the rods. any questions i'm here. mike.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike