Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ChrisP  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:38:15(UTC)
ChrisP

I've been connecting an elderly 6041 switchboard using the lights only (not the switching) for a track indicator board. Some of the lights don't work (I've checked the LEDs and they are OK). I wonder if anyone has ever opened up a 6041 to attempt repairs?

I'm a novice at electronics. Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Chris
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:44:33(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not sure...but don´t you need an external trafo to feed power to the LED´s...?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Renato  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2014 11:58:34(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Chris,

I have never attempted to repair the 6041 switchboard.

I have two of them with all the outputs for the LEDs functioning.

In any case, what are the output numbers not functioning?

I could open mine and see what is inside and maybe give you some indications (not 100% sure about that...)

Cheers

Renato
Offline ChrisP  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2014 15:24:39(UTC)
ChrisP

Thank you both. I think the power supply is OK - I'm running it from the accessory connections (yellow and brown) on the back of one of the three transformers powering the layout. Position 16 is fine with both red and green functioning and switching. Position 3 is, similarly, OK. 2 shows a constant red but no green and 4, I think, likewise. I've not yet tested the other positions. A friend more knowledgeable than I said he reckoned there would be diodes under the sockets.

It's very kind of you to offer to take the top of one of yours Renato. I hesitate to do so in case I dislodge something I can't then fix.
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2014 16:25:27(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Have you tested the 6041 using wires only to make the connections, or do you have "the full setup" for track connections?

I would start testing the 6041 using a small jumper wire first, then we know if it is the 6041 or "something else"

Maybe this is what you have done, when you write you have tested the diodes?

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Renato  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2014 17:04:26(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Chris,

I bought my two 6041 off on eBay (mint in box and I think never used = remainder of shop) and I tested on both of them all the 16 outputs with leds.

All was OK and if you bought yours used, the only way to damage the outputs is connecting instead of LEDs, lamps with too high power consumption or making wrong connections to the power supply.

According to Per's post, I suggest you to use your 6041 connected to the 6021 (or 6020) and one K83 with 4 turnouts, and a couple of pushbuttons plus a couple of LEDs (with resistors connected in serie) and see what happens to the turnouts and the LEDs.
In doing so you have to test all the pairs of pushbuttons inputs and LEDs outputs (i.e. 1 red/green, 2 red/green, 3 red/green, 4 red/green, then change the K83 address and continue with the other 4 couple on inputs/outputs).
I suggest to change the address on the K83 switching off your digital system.
If you use the plugs you can easily change all the connections.
Finally you tested all the 16 couples of inputs/outputs and if the appropriate switch commands are given to the turnouts.

If all is OK (switching commands to the turnouts work well) but only some LEDs do not come on, some diodes or transistors could be damaged and in that case it should be easy to replace them.

I will try to have a look inside my 6041 in order to be able to say what could have been damaged.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline ChrisP  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2014 16:32:37(UTC)
ChrisP

Thank you Renato

I've now checked each pair of LEDs with the 6041 connected to my layout's K83s. Almost all pairs of red/green LEDs are working properly and the turnouts/signals are switching. But positions 1,2, 4 and 12 have the same problem - the red is on permanently (i e it doesn't go out when the turnout/signal is switched to green) and the green lights in these positions stay off. The turnouts and signals connected to these positions are switching. Do you think it's feasible for a novice to open up the 6041?

Regards

Chris
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2014 20:17:06(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Chris,

Let me try to open my switchboard 6041 and have a look inside.

So I can be more precise in saying if there are no problems doing so for you and if there are components inside that can be easily replaced.

As I am going to start school (as a technical teacher, not as a student BigGrin ) and I have some meetings at school during this week, please give me some days... Blushing

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline ChrisP  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2014 08:08:56(UTC)
ChrisP

With lots of helpful advice from Renato I'm slowly getting my layout connected to a track diagram board through a 6041 switchboard. I recently acquired a second 6041. My problem now is power supply. I've seen the cautions about using a separate transformer for 6041s but one of my Marklin booklets clearly shows a 6041 connected to the auxiliary connections of the transformer powering the layout. I've done this and found it works perfectly for the first 6041. Now I want to add the second switchboard and am unsure about how to power it. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Chris
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2014 09:24:08(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ChrisP Go to Quoted Post
With lots of helpful advice from Renato I'm slowly getting my layout connected to a track diagram board through a 6041 switchboard. I recently acquired a second 6041. My problem now is power supply. I've seen the cautions about using a separate transformer for 6041s but one of my Marklin booklets clearly shows a 6041 connected to the auxiliary connections of the transformer powering the layout. I've done this and found it works perfectly for the first 6041. Now I want to add the second switchboard and am unsure about how to power it. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Chris

If you use LED´s with switchgear,you need just only one trafo.
Just simple connect switchboards with jumper wires.
LED´s don´t use so much power as bulbs do.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy