Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2014 22:59:43(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I have just been on the EUROSPOOR site & the dates for 2015 are there for all to see . Now to book the Motorhome for next year for our European holiday . It looks like they have improved the lighting for the individual table sellers & gone to high intensity instead of the 75watt incandescent globes they used to use ,this will improve the viewing of items that may look good on the layout .

Cheers Tom in Oz now looking at what to do & see for the weeks between Marklin Treff & Eurospoor .

Online kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2014 10:43:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tom,
I have not been to these places myself, but they do appeal.
Both are in the wine growing area of the Rhine valley.

The French National railway museum at Mulhouse not far from Zurich.
http://citedutrain.com/fr/home

And there is a model train display at Colmar not far away.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2014 11:32:11(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
You may wish to visit the Dutch national railwaymuseum at Utrecht.
Interesting collection and presentations,also in English.
You could take the special train from Utrecht Central Station to the museum,a slow trip of some 15 minutes.

If you have spare time left for Holland,go to the island of Texel,always worth a visit year around.
Plenty hotels and campings.
Take the ferry from Den Helder.
We go there once a year,usually end of May,but have also been there in November,cold but nice.

And there is Haarlem,of course,always worth a visit,do not forget the Frans Hals museum,a painter almost as famous as Rembrandt.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2014 15:01:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
You are mobile?

Do have an interest in WW2? You are not far from Dunkirk, it is worth driving down there to see the beach where so many allied troops escaped the Nazi juggernaut. Nowadays it is a holiday beach with homes right along it, but there is a museum in the waterfront area of old Dunkirk township itself that is worth a visit, covering the history of Dunkirk way back well before WW2.

Also somewhere in the northern coastal area of France I believe there is a WW2 Leopold railway gun. I am sure Google will find it for you.

Also don't forget to check theCommonweatl Wargraves Commission web site for the details of the location of any soldiering relatives that died in the area, and visit their grave.

If you wish to travel into Germany, I highly recommend the Sinsheim Transport Museum. It has trains, but that is only a small portion of what they have. There is an air transport section which has a Russian Turpolev version of Concorde, and I am not sure if they now have a Concorde as well. But the part that will cheer the Other Half is all the fairground organs. I haven't been to the companion Speyer Museum, so can't offer any comment on that. Someone was recently going to start a forum entry with photos taken at Sinsheim, but I don't think they have got around to it yet.

You could also travel south to Switzerland and see the Lucerne Transport Museum. That is another that I would recommend, and take one of the rack railways up the surrounding peaks. As well as this you get to see another genre of trains whose models you know and love, and also a different country.

There are also a large number of model railway layouts around open to the public, such that it is almost worth a forum topic of its own. Apart from Miniature Wunderland in Hamburg, there is a Scharzwald one, and another only a handful of km from Goppingen.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2014 23:29:29(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

A list of layouts which are open to the public would be a very good idea . There is a list in the Insider but is it a reasonably complete listing of what is open . We have been to see Merklingen just after it opened . Mendrissio at the Gallerie Baumgartner , Miwalu at Hamburg about 4 times , the Fulgurex collection when the Count was still alive back in the early 2000's . We have done most of the D day beaches & museums , Visited VB in France twice & the Amien's region , the Mulhouse museum with its marvellous plywood ceiling rafters , The Maginot line forts , the Eagles Nest , Sinheim , most of the rack railways in Austria , Switzerland & Germany , Quite a lot of the WW2 relics , the Canfranc Railway station on the French /Spanish border , Chur to Tirano , Glacier express & everything in between over a period of about the last 20 years . To my knowledge the family did not have any deaths on the Western front to my knowledge but the family tree has not been done to any great extent , most fought in the Pacific theatre . Maybe a trip over the Chunnel & a visit to the Imperial War Museum could be considered but we have just on a year to make decisions & all ideas will be considered .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Dreadnought  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2014 01:07:23(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I did the Mulhouse Cité du Train last year on my way to Goppingen for the Treff. I can strongly recommend it. A delightful old character was working on a DC SNCF layout in the back. The Cite de l'automobile, also in Mulhouse was very good.

A ride into Basel and going round the station was interesting. The old SNCF platform is still in use and you pass by the Swiss customs offices. Today no one asks for passports, but it gives a glimpse of old style travel.

In April I did a all too speedy visit to the museum in Speyer. It was very good. Be sure to go outside and behind the main buildng and see the locomotives and coaches there too. I want to go back to it.

It may be a bit far for your intended areas of travel, but I spent a fascinating day taking a train from Innsbruck Austria to the top of the Brenner pass. It is a very scenic trip. I watched the O.B.B. Locomotives drop their pantographs and coast into Italy. Then they were uncoupled, and a little F.S. diesel shunted them back to the Austrian side. Brenner is another interesting border station, still intact, but not used as such.

This Ocotber I did the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, excellent, and the Van Gogh museum, also excellent. I recommend a trip to Haarlem. It is about twentyminutes from Amsterdam by train. It has a lovely old station with beautiful, if sadly unused, waiting rooms and bar. The Frans Hals museum is excellent too.

Just a few suggestions

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2014 18:34:57(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Tom,

If you are interested in war musea,this may be of interest to you.

The Airborn museum near Arnhem,The Netherlands,about the battle of Arnhem,September 1944.
My late mother,born in 1931,was evacuated from Arnhem during the battle,a truly traumatic experience.
The battle is still celebrated every year in September,including massive parachute jumps and parades of WW2 army vehicles,including Sherman tanks.
See also the movie " A bridge too far."
Note German spelling is Arnheim on traffic signs,whereas our spelling is Arnhem.

http://en.airbornemuseum.nl/

You may also wish to visit the Dutch field of honour at the Grebbeberg,in the town of Rhenen,pretty close to Arnhem.
During the days of 10 to 13 May 1940,Dutch troops tried to stop overwelming German forces at the Grebbeberg and the railwaystation of Rhenen,with heavy casualties as a result.
As a bonus,there is a splendid Zoo on the top of the hill along the road,always worth a visit.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2014 06:49:45(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The Frans Hals Museum at Haarlem:

And the ZOO at Rhenen,Ouwehands Dierenpark:

http://www.ouwehand.nl/I...ation/Accessibility.html