Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nevw  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2014 09:19:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I am about to install 2 x M83 together. I know that they are connected by the 9 pin connectors, each decoder has its range set by the dip switches,
Power will come from the track. ( Have 4.8 amps on a N scale layout).
question do I need to supply track power to the second Box or does only One need to be connected to track power.

Using a MS2 (trix coloured knobs and tminitrix locos.

thnkx,

Nec
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Hackcell  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2014 19:44:03(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
I am about to install 2 x M83 together. I know that they are connected by the 9 pin connectors, each decoder has its range set by the dip switches,
question do I need to supply track power to the second Box or does only One need to be connected to track power.

thnkx,

Nec

You should be able to connect both using the power coming from the track in just one of the 60831. I have 2 connected without any issues.

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2014 21:43:41(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post

thnkx,

Nec

You should be able to connect both using the power coming from the track in just one of the 60831. I have 2 connected without any issues.

Thanks Danilo. The answer I wanted. Thought that may be the case.
Nev

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2014 23:47:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
From page 16 of the user manual

"
Several m83/m84 decoders can be plugged together with the side plug contacts. No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. All of the decoders plugged together are supplied with power from the power connections (power supply or track connections) made to the first turnout decoder. No other track connections may be made.
"

What is not clear or identified is what the meaning of the term "first turnout decoder".

If an external power source is deployed it will prevent additional baying of units in that direction (because the plug is in the way) therefore it can be inferred that this is the "first turnout decoder".
Because the diagrams at the top right of the page are illogically placed, I would revert to words and say the "first turnout decoder" is the rightmost of a chain if you are looking at them and the DIP switches are away from you.

P.S. Warning.
Baying of these units may not be a good idea if you are expecting to do programming/reconfiguration with a MS2. Because the MS2 does not have PoM capability for static decoders, it can only perform global programming - thus , to program an individual m8x you must isolate all others from the circuit.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2014 00:01:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
From page 16 of the user manual

"
Several m83/m84 decoders can be plugged together with the side plug contacts. No extension or connecting wire may be used for this. All of the decoders plugged together are supplied with power from the power connections (power supply or track connections) made to the first turnout decoder. No other track connections may be made.
"

What is not clear or identified is what the meaning of the term "first turnout decoder".

If an external power source is deployed it will prevent additional baying of units in that direction (because the plug is in the way) therefore it can be inferred that this is the "first turnout decoder".
Because the diagrams at the top right of the page are illogically placed, I would revert to words and say the "first turnout decoder" is the rightmost of a chain if you are looking at them and the DIP switches are away from you.

P.S. Warning.
Baying of these units may not be a good idea if you are expecting to do programming/reconfiguration with a MS2. Because the MS2 does not have PoM capability for static decoders, it can only perform global programming - thus , to program an individual m8x you must isolate all others from the circuit.

Peter, thanks, I dont think I will be programming, just setting the dip switches on each one to get the address range. also as I will be using track power I think I will use a Laptop power supply IF I can use it without smoke escaping.

nev

Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2014 01:58:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi Nev,

You do mention N-scale and a 66950 (Trix MS2) and MiniTrix Locos
However you have not mentioned what you are actually using the M83 for?

When considering (re)programming it is not just the desire to change the device - but the effect on the device if changing OTHER devices.
If, for example, you do the initial address setup for a DCC loco on the track with the MS2 , then it will also overwrite a m8x (if in DCC mode).
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2014 02:29:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Hi Nev,

When considering (re)programming it is not just the desire to change the device - but the effect on the device if changing OTHER devices.
If, for example, you do the initial address setup for a DCC loco on the track with the MS2 , then it will also overwrite a m8x (if in DCC mode).

I will be using the M83 for digital addressing and operating Point motors.

I will take note of that little quirk when programming. I may set up a programming track and use a double pole 3 position switch to turn off main lines and send to the Prog. track. easier than removing power from the M83.

Thanks, for that.

Nev
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2014 09:02:58(UTC)
Goofy

thnkx,

Nec

Hello Nev!
4.8 amps is to much power for the N scale.
So you should reduce to 2-2.5 amps.
Small locomotivs are sensible if short circuits happens and 4.8 amps will boost out yours locomotivs.
By the way...how did you got 4.8 amps for the MS2?
Märklin reccomended only 1.9 amps.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2014 09:10:10(UTC)
Goofy

Hi Nev,

That´s way there is an safety push button for programming adresses of the turnout decoder.
After you did programmed,just simple push button programming off by finish.
When you have locomotivs on the tracks and programming,the turnout decoder is not react.
Nev should have tried first with Lenz LS150 to test it.
I use it and they are great!

Goofy attached the following image(s):
DSC_0008.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy