Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline graafjp  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2014 21:39:39(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi All,

As I found a few references in the forum regarding the Intellilight system from Uhlenbrock I hope somebody has actual experience using it.

I started using the Intellilight system about 1,5 years ago, one base unit and two expansion units (white only).

As a power source I use the Uhlenbrock 150VA transformer delivering 17V AC. (no other equipment connected to it).

In the past 1,5 years I have experienced multiple CCFL tube failures, (about 6) in different units.

I'm very grateful the dutch importer Hobbytime did sent me replacement CCFL tubes for free.
Replacing a tube is easy to do.

It does surprise me that I did have so many defect CCFLs as these tubes normally have a long life expectancy.
Furthermore I'm usually using the system only one or two evenings a week during the winter-time. So the tubes do not have that many hours on them.

I hope some of you are also using this system and i'm curious if you did experience the same problems as I have.
Regards,
Jos
Offline Mikael  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2014 18:01:31(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: graafjp Go to Quoted Post
I hope some of you are also using this system and i'm curious if you did experience the same problems as I have.

Yes, I most certainly have problems.
I am starting up my model layout again after a couple of years with other things taking my time. And in that time several CCFL tubes has stopped working (without the light being used at all for the last few years). I have lost 1 blue and 4 white in two (out of 6) modules.
I am currently experimenting with replacing the tubes with LED strips for durability.

Offline Mikael  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2014 18:06:42(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Mikael Go to Quoted Post
I am currently experimenting with replacing the tubes with LED strips for durability.

Well, I have successfully replaced the blue CCFL tube with a LED strip from Ikea. By mixing both blue and green LEDs, I get a colour that is very close to the CCFL tube.
Unfortunately, the replacement of the white tubes are more troublesome. I have replaced them with 4 white LED strips, but they don't behave as the tubes. While at full power, I have adjusted the amount of light to match my other IntelliLight modules still having CCFL. But when the light dims, the output from the tubes decreases much faster than the LEDs. The result is 5 modules dimming out nicely, but the LED based one stays bright most of the time and then suddenly goes dark.

I am trying to get some replacement tubes, but they aren't easily found.

Offline graafjp  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2014 23:00:22(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   

Well, I have successfully replaced the blue CCFL tube with a LED strip from Ikea. By mixing both blue and green LEDs, I get a colour that is very close to the CCFL tube.
Unfortunately, the replacement of the white tubes are more troublesome. I have replaced them with 4 white LED strips, but they don't behave as the tubes. While at full power, I have adjusted the amount of light to match my other IntelliLight modules still having CCFL. But when the light dims, the output from the tubes decreases much faster than the LEDs. The result is 5 modules dimming out nicely, but the LED based one stays bright most of the time and then suddenly goes dark.

I am trying to get some replacement tubes, but they aren't easily found.

Hi Mikael,

This is an interesting project. Do the LED strips have sufficient brightness to match the CCFL tubes?

Regarding the replacement CCFL tubes I was lucky that in the Netherlands we have a local distributor that could deliver the CCFLs.

I emailed Uhlenbrock service about the failing CCFL tubes and they replied that most issues are related to vibrations and shock during transport.
This could perhaps explain why some of my CCFLs died after a short time and other replaced CCFL tubes are still good after 1-2 years.
Also they said that they are contemplating to redesign the Intellilight to use LEDs instead of CCFLs.

But as this is a model railroad world this could happen....or not...or takes a long wait...

Regards,
Jos
Regards,
Jos
Offline Mikael  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2014 17:46:06(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: graafjp Go to Quoted Post
This is an interesting project. Do the LED strips have sufficient brightness to match the CCFL tubes?

Yes, no problem.
The blue tube was replaced with one led strip (out of 4) from this Ikea set:
Ikea RGB LED light
(If this direct link doesn't work, just search for 401.923.61 on Ikeas website)
Note that this RGB kit contains 4 sections, where I only used 1. I connected both the blue and green parts, and that matches the blue CCFL tube quite well in both colour and brightness. Of course the high-voltage inverter for the CCFL tube isn't needed, but its input voltage is 12V, and that is directly compatible with the LED strips.

I also tried to use Ikea 601.165.40 (white LEDs) as a replacement for the white tubes, but that wasn't as successful. The LEDs has a warm white light, that doesn't go well with the cold white light from my other IntelliLight modules. In particular the simulation of sunrise/sunset is ruined.

But now I've found a supplier of replacement CCFL tubes (and cheap too). They are only 30cm long (the Uhlenbrock tubes are closer to 40cm), but they seem to be directly plugin replaceable. Look for CCFL kits for PC casemodding:
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/ccfl-2-1-kit
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/12-Inch-CCFL_237.html

I'll try these tubes in the weekend.

Regards,
Mikael

Offline Mikael  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2014 16:57:20(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Success. The PC casemodding CCFL tubes are perfect replacements for the original tubes. They even have the same plugs so it couldn't be any easier.
Of course the new tubes are a bit shorter, but they seem to light up almost as bright as the longer ones, and in any case that is way better than having tubes that doesn't light up at all.

My local train shop has looked into getting the original tubes as spares, and they can do that. But these slightly shorter tubes are cheaper (with inverter and cables) than the shop can get the original spare tubes (without inverter or anything) for.
Offline Mikael  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2014 12:53:43(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Just to finish it off, here is a couple of pictures of my repair attempts. First one where I tried the white LEDs:

UserPostedImage

And here is an all white module with two CCFL tubes replaced by slightly shorter ones. They give plenty of light anyway:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 28 June 2015 16:09:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mikael
Offline graafjp  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2014 12:07:42(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Mikael,

Great work. I archived this thread on my PC just in case I ever need it. BigGrin

Last weekend I discovered that Conrad who also has a Danish website has CCFL tubes in their stock.
There are a little bigger than the Uhlenbrock ones (420mm long, 11mm diameter) and specified for 700V.
But they also supply the partnering Invertor that also works on 12 V DC.

So this could also be an option. The 400mm tubes are hard to find.

See for example article 720143 on the Conrad DK site.

Regards,
Jos
Regards,
Jos
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by graafjp
Offline Mikael  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2014 17:16:12(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Great find with the 420mm ones. I never thought to look at Conrad. And they seem to be directly replaceable too, with the same connector.