Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grnwtrs  
#51 Posted : 11 May 2009 02:20:52(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I am wondering if anyone has carefully looked at the green (ma37522) seetal? I have the Green Kroc, but am hoping to add the brown one. So far the way things are I am going to sit on the fence a bit longer.[:(]

gene
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#52 Posted : 11 May 2009 19:53:14(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Lutz! its not that I doubted them it was just a very nondescrpt email- send your train (no form, person to contact etc..) and we will fix it.
I'll get it out!!!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline rschaffr  
#53 Posted : 11 May 2009 22:02:50(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
There are some issues that the Walthers repair department will not/cannot deal with. In my case, since my VT08 had been upgraded to SDS in Germany, Ken at Walthers was not equipped nor experienced to deal with it, at least at that time, so it went back to Germany (sent there by Walthers, not by me). Zincpest may be the same situation, since it is a factory defect and really the only solution is either complete replacement or complete rebuild.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Hobbit  
#54 Posted : 12 May 2009 07:10:39(UTC)
Hobbit

I was wondering how it could be that Marklin say that they can fix the problem but that the spare part (321289) is not available, so I checkd the spare parts section and notice that the item is now red light instead of grey.

It would appear that Marklin has decided to make another batch of this part but that it is not yet available.

It is listed as costing 4.99 euro so those that prefer to fix things may find it cheaper to order the part once it becomes available rather than shipping the loco to Germany for repairs.
There is no place like The Shire...
Offline Minibahn  
#55 Posted : 12 May 2009 13:01:09(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

the reason could be that they need the parts for their service . Anyway this is a very simple part which Marklin can make within two days, if necessary.

Zinkpest is also a problem for Brawa (steam engine BR 06) and several Roco parts.
Regards Charles
Offline jeehring  
#56 Posted : 12 May 2009 14:00:15(UTC)
jeehring

Hobbit
Two different fields of management.
A spare part may be not available for sale .
But it doesn't necessarly mean it is not available for their own " repair department" .
Believe me.
( To be not available for sale = below a certain level of stock it is not more available for public -)
Offline Hobbit  
#57 Posted : 15 May 2009 07:36:31(UTC)
Hobbit

Here are the photos I took when disassembling my loco. You can see that both bars that allow articulation had broken away. You can also see that the various lugs that the decoder board is attached to had also broken away. Luckily the board had not shorted out.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The slightly blistered effect to the surface caused by zincpest is just visible in the last photo.
There is no place like The Shire...
Offline Minibahn  
#58 Posted : 18 May 2009 18:07:23(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

just a question :

A friend of me got a mail from Marklin with the information that for a free repair a proof of purchase is necessary .

I think, that this is rather difficult, 7 years after purchase.

Has anybody else got a mail like this ?
Regards Charles
Offline Unholz  
#59 Posted : 25 May 2009 17:00:21(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
According to the (currently last) posting by "sobmeyer" in this German forum

http://www.eisenbahn-kur...&i=16852&t=16603

Marklin is now requesting payment if one wishes a repair of the zincpest damage on the Seetal croc. [}:)]
Offline davemr  
#60 Posted : 25 May 2009 22:58:27(UTC)
davemr

Proof of purchase is a fair request. However one would hope that Marklin locos will not fall apart after just two years and I expect they will repair after this time if there is a fault in the materials used to make the loco.
davemr
Offline davemr  
#61 Posted : 26 May 2009 01:24:55(UTC)
davemr

Hi Lutz. In the case of Zincpest ( which has not caused me a problem at anytime) I would expect Marklin to be concerned that this would damage future sales if they did not take action. I suppose it depends on how long a buyer expects their Marklin purchase to last. I have Marklin locos which are many years old and give no problems but should I find that after two years they fall apart then me and most others will stop buying their product.
It is a different matter if parts which are expected to wear after considerable use need to be replaced then the customer would pay for that.
My point was that if a specific batch of locos are known to be made from inferior materials then I expect Marklin would put those locos right without charge.
If of course Marklin goes bust as you say then it does not matter what goes wrong with their products and the right of the customer in England is as is always the case is against the retailer.
Although I have not had any problems with Marklin products others that I know who have had something go wrong have always found the matter to be put right without any difficulty.
With regard to cars ... if they have zincpest ......mm not realyy worth saying what action would be taken.
I dont use a hairdryer (lack of hair) but as they cost a fraction of a Marklin loco then 10 years use would probably be OK.
Proof of purchase is of course fine ... my dealer will give me that anytime with any date that I ask for ... just who can you trust these days lol.
davemr
Offline mike c  
#62 Posted : 26 May 2009 04:10:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have kept the sales receipts for as many of my loks, coaches and cars as possible. Sometimes, eBay purchases, even if "NEW" from dealers do not come with invoices, so I have printed out or saved the eBay info to prove the "date".
If you have a scanner, you can scan the sales receipt and then keep them as digital files.
It is too bad that it has been at least 15 years since the last time I had a dealer who stamped the Warranty booklet and dated it. That used to be a good way to keep track.
Even if the warranty is limited to one or two years, I am sure that there is still a presumption that the product is intended for many years' use and that as zinkpest can not be detected until it has gotten serious, it constitutes a "hidden" defect that is the responsibility of the manufacturer to rectify. I would guess that customer protection laws would vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Your unit would be covered under the laws of the place of purchase, as "authorized" dealers imply that Maerklin has consented to do business in that country/territory.

Regards

Mike C
Offline davemr  
#63 Posted : 26 May 2009 13:35:53(UTC)
davemr

Hi Mike. You are indeed right that customer protection is different from country to country. Although I would need to read again the sale of goods act in England I understand that for an item with the cost of a Marklin Loco (about the same as a TV set) it can if it is faulty be returned to the retailer for repair or refund for a period of six years.
This gives us good protection here and although I do not have a Marklin dealer here I know the Roco chap is very good.
I would not expect as small part that can easilt be broken to be covered or for that matter a decoder which has been fried by the user but zincpest from any manufacturer is I would think a different matter.
davemr
Offline john black  
#64 Posted : 26 May 2009 17:43:31(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by davemr
<br />I suppose it depends on how long a buyer expects their Marklin purchase to last.

I have Marklin locos which are many years old and give no problems but should I find that
after two years they fall apart then me and most others will stop buying their product.

... just who can you trust these days lol.

Excellent point, Dave - so we are at M's latest product quality, again Smile[:p]

Funny, looking at my old (and also my very old) marklins there's no trouble 50 years later ...
Thus since the marklins of today are way more expensive they oughta last three times longer biggrin[}:)]

However - with M broke such discussion is purely academic ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#65 Posted : 26 May 2009 23:50:20(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Mine went back to mother M today- I'll keep you all posted!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline eduard71  
#66 Posted : 27 May 2009 02:10:58(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 5HorizonsRR
<br />Mine went back to mother M today- I'll keep you all posted!

Also mine went to Märklin yesterday! I hope that they will be replace/repare as they did with my green Kof.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#67 Posted : 14 June 2009 09:45:31(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Well, today I recieved a letter from marklin in Germany via snail mail. It would be nice if it wasn't in german but it appears to be a repair bill for 67 euro plus another 18 shipping to fix the loco. Considering all it needed was a 4 euro part I could have replaced on my own, this is rather frustrating. All this especially in light of the zincpest issue and the fact that when all is said and done I could almost have bought another locomotive. Lesson learned: next time JB weld it is.

I will give marklin credit for running an efficient, friendly and communicative operation though. Everything has been 100% smooth on this minus the bill. Considering the language barrier this is impressive. I work for an italian company and had this been us the story would have been quite the opposite...

More info once I can translate this thing!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline john black  
#68 Posted : 15 June 2009 18:53:08(UTC)
john black

United States   
Don't be too sad, John - at least you get her back, factory repaired Smile
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#69 Posted : 15 June 2009 20:33:18(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Good point, and it was my fault it broke so I don't mind. I'l post the letter soon- I need help as google didn't translate clearly!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline eduard71  
#70 Posted : 04 October 2009 02:49:26(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Today I received my new locomotive!, yes a new one from the Marklin service center. The original never arrived to me, there was a problem with the delivery address and my original loco was lost. So the Marklin service center decided to send me a brand new one to the correct address. That is customer service and responsability! Happy endbiggrin
Regards
Eduardo Palacios
Offline tekin65  
#71 Posted : 04 October 2009 02:55:55(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Very good news Eduardo Smile

Enjoy your new loco.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline RayF  
#72 Posted : 04 October 2009 12:03:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I wonder who has the missing loco!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#73 Posted : 29 November 2010 23:47:45(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Hi Friends,
sent mine De6/6 in august and returned repaired after 30 days.
No warranty due to the insolvence, too old loco (even if new).
If you want to repair it the total amount is 66,94 euro + shipping.
Here the broken part replaced.
Any ideas to use them for?

UserPostedImage
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline eduard71  
#74 Posted : 30 November 2010 17:09:25(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Alberto Pedrini wrote:
Hi Friends,

UserPostedImage

Hi Alberto,
That part (in the middle) with zinkpest can only go to the trash can! In my case I received a new locomotive due the lost of the original one in the post office.
Now, did Marlklin returned to you the two half parts? in that case you can take them as spare parts because they do not have zinkpest. You could even made a kind of scrap yard in your layout.

Regards
Eduardo
Offline dntower85  
#75 Posted : 30 November 2010 18:48:05(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I see a Kit Bashed one off switcher - a De6/0
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Brakepad  
#76 Posted : 06 December 2010 10:10:52(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
I've just caome across this ebay ad. It seems to suffer from exactly the same illness.

What a pity.

http://cgi.ebay.es/MARKL...&hash=item3cb301ee53
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline jeehring  
#77 Posted : 06 December 2010 16:59:40(UTC)
jeehring

Alberto Pedrini wrote:
Hi Friends,

[img]http://www.marklinfan.it/images/de66.jpg

........recently I have seen some pictures of TRUE Zincpest on some models from Klein....it is far different from what it is shown here and above into this topic .
The true caracteristics of first signs of zincpest before it goes into dust , are :deformation of the object, the flat surfaces become frankly domed and bulging...

The picture here shows a broken chassis...
Offline Webmaster  
#78 Posted : 06 December 2010 20:23:07(UTC)
Webmaster

With white spots in the metal, deformed surfaces and so on in Eduardo's pics... Maybe not the original "Zinkpest", but certainly some kind of chemical reaction oxidizing the metal from inside...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline BR01097  
#79 Posted : 07 December 2010 06:48:23(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
TTRExpress wrote:
"Zinkpest" is an incurable disease that hopefully should now be eliminated from modern locomotives. Zinc pest is a form of intercrystalline corrosion. The process is accelerated by moisture in warm air and relative humidities of 65% or greater. Hydrogen released from water migrates into the grain boundaries of the zinc alloy and causes expansion which results in cracking along those grain boundaries.

Oh, good: the straight dope about Zinkpest through earnest analysis. The fear has been lurking in the back of my mind because many of my 78 locomotives date back to the Nineteen-Fifties. Still, none shows signs of the disease, so I had attributed it to an erstwhile flaw in the process of alloying the metal which has since been corrected by the manufacturer. Not surprisingly, humidity factors as a catalyst in the decay.

This model specially appears to be suffering from breakage due either to poor workmanship or design as these are virtually new and several of the series so affected. Zinkpest would seem more like an affliction of age and storage.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline mike c  
#80 Posted : 07 December 2010 09:09:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Alberto Pedrini wrote:
Hi Friends,

UserPostedImage

Alberto,

I would contact Maerklin again, specifically mentioning the following facts/statements:

1) You understand that they have recently gone through some difficult financial problems and that "warranties may be voided due to the insolvency".
2) Remind them at the same time that a goodwill reparation will help reestablish your confidence in the company and that their decision to repair the model as a gesture will go a long way to convince you to start buying their products again.
3) You can further remind them that discussion about such incidents in forums and blogs can either hurt or benefit their company. If they make a special effort to help you, it will improve their image in said forums...
4) You can also remind them that you have been a long time customer and that waiving the 67 Euros will make you feel like your investment and your loyalty is appreciated and respected.

If Maerklin Service still doesn't accept to repair the item, contact Customer Service. If that does not work, take it to the administrative level until you get satisfaction.

Regards

Mike C

Offline Roger  
#81 Posted : 05 July 2011 07:20:22(UTC)
Roger

Hi Eduardo !

What happen after all this time. What is the latest news ?

Did you manage anything about this problem ?

Br, Roger
Offline Unholz  
#82 Posted : 13 July 2011 21:16:53(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
OhMyGod A new "catastrophe" seems to be developing. According to this thread which started a couple of weeks ago in the German Stummi forum, the problem is now increasingly becoming noticeable in Marklin and Trix boxcars/reefers of U. S. prototypes which were sold in starter sets:

http://stummiforum.de/vi...79b9fc88c085d0da0ffb93d7

It might be wise to check your models (but keep some blood pressure medication nearby...).
Offline Nielsenr  
#83 Posted : 14 July 2011 04:58:11(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I am not sure, but I may have a couple of boxcars from the US 45651 box car set that have this problem. I had noticed a shorting out when a bunch of cars were pulled behind my Big Boy. I eventually isolated the problem to cars from this set. The couplers were very stiff and would not move side to side freely. They were literally pulling the car off the track in curves causing the short. And one of the box car bodies was broken under the sliding door. In trying to take one of them apart, the chassis pieces starting snapping off. And it was obvious that the chassis plate was warped. I thought it might have been me but now I see I had better start asking questions of Marklin USA.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline BR01097  
#84 Posted : 14 July 2011 06:44:54(UTC)
BR01097

United States   

This cannot be Zinkpest on models so new. Zinkpest looks more like a white, oxidizing corrosion where metal is flaking off. To my knowledge, Marklin models do not suffer the affliction since about the Fifties. Of the 82 locomotives I own, most about that vintage, only a couple might have it.

Instead, this looks like a flaw in the alloy process: a straight break or fracture at the area of weakness due to inferior foundry techniques.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline Unholz  
#85 Posted : 14 July 2011 08:34:45(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: BR01097 Go to Quoted Post

This cannot be Zinkpest on models so new. Zinkpest looks more like a white, oxidizing corrosion where metal is flaking off. To my knowledge, Marklin models do not suffer the affliction since about the Fifties.

I think you should update your knowledge and perform a short Google search with terms such as Zinkpest, Köf, Seetal and Trostberg. Could be an unpleasant surprise... Blink
Offline jvuye  
#86 Posted : 14 July 2011 11:52:30(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BR01097 Go to Quoted Post

This cannot be Zinkpest on models so new. Zinkpest looks more like a white, oxidizing corrosion where metal is flaking off. To my knowledge, Marklin models do not suffer the affliction since about the Fifties.

I think you should update your knowledge and perform a short Google search with terms such as Zinkpest, Köf, Seetal and Trostberg. Could be an unpleasant surprise... Blink

Correct.
Same failure mode as in the 50's!
The only difference here is how fast the problem appears, which basically shows how poor the material used in the parts made in China were!
Good that Märklin now is using its Göppingen foundry for this type of parts...
You won't see these problems anymore!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline pn  
#87 Posted : 14 July 2011 12:27:03(UTC)
pn

Portugal   
Hello,

Did someone see the problems described in this topic affecting Märklin/Trix metal/tinplate passenger coaches?
I was planning to get one of those sets (I guess it was manufactured between 2001 and 2003) but after reading this topic I'm having second thoughts about it... Scared
Should I be concerned or are the coaches using different material?

Thanks.
Offline Brakepad  
#88 Posted : 14 July 2011 14:02:00(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Tinplate coaches do not suffer from this illness, only casting parts.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline paris.palermo  
#89 Posted : 21 July 2011 19:21:57(UTC)
paris.palermo

Hello,
i wrote few weeks ago a long article on Zinkpest problem especially for Marklin including past and recent problem. I only could advise you to have a look on it :-)
http://www.mymarklin.com...nkpest-peste-dello-zinco
If you have any question, please ask me !
Paris.palermo
Please visit Marklin train website ... article, technique, Zinkpest specialist.
Offline Roger  
#90 Posted : 24 July 2011 02:03:33(UTC)
Roger

Hi gentlemen !

Well if it is not zinkpest as mentioned by some of you, then it has to be something similar.

I have seen it in several models. I personally had a Koff II with the same problem that was also replaced after I send it back.

M* send me a different color unit but, it is ok with me.

However the point is that there is maybe some new metal components or alloy used that suffer of a similar "pest".

Rgds,

Roger
Offline paris.palermo  
#91 Posted : 27 July 2011 21:37:32(UTC)
paris.palermo

Hello Roger,
have a look here :-)
http://www.mymarklin.com...-zinco/zinc-pest-marklin

PS could send me or post a picture of the lok Marklin give you to replace first one ?
Please visit Marklin train website ... article, technique, Zinkpest specialist.
Offline Roger  
#92 Posted : 29 March 2012 03:28:58(UTC)
Roger

Originally Posted by: paris.palermo Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
i wrote few weeks ago a long article on Zinkpest problem especially for Marklin including past and recent problem. I only could advise you to have a look on it :-)
http://www.mymarklin.com...nkpest-peste-dello-zinco
If you have any question, please ask me !
Paris.palermo

Hi Paris.palermo,

Thanks for the link. That green locomotive is exactly the same one I had the problem.

Regards, Roger
Offline Roger  
#93 Posted : 29 March 2012 03:32:27(UTC)
Roger

Originally Posted by: paris.palermo Go to Quoted Post
Hello Roger,
have a look here :-)
http://www.mymarklin.com...-zinco/zinc-pest-marklin

PS could send me or post a picture of the lok Marklin give you to replace first one ?

Hi,

I apologize for the long time for me to answer back. It has being a long time I did not check on this post.

Here you have a picture of the BR381 M* send me as a replacement:

Regards, Roger
Roger attached the following image(s):
BR_381.jpg
Offline Janne75  
#94 Posted : 04 January 2014 18:42:26(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I will bring this thread up as I committed to buy for me a Märklin 37521 SBB De 6/6 "Seetal Crocodile" locomotive having this same problem. I would like to ask if newer model 37524 frame is the same as this 37521 frame?

Is it still possible to have it fixed by Märklin Service for free? That loco is at the moment still in Germany, so if Märklin Service can fix it for free if the needed papers are there or I pay myself the costs for a new frame it would be ok too.

Any more current info would be great ThumpUp . Loco Märklin serial number is 2214563CE with orange numbers when I see one of the photos of it.

Edit: There is currently new frames E321289 available and the price is 15,00 euro. So that is cheap, but the assembly of this loco may be tricky and probably best to have Märkin Service to do it.

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Papy1104  
#95 Posted : 19 November 2014 00:27:44(UTC)
Papy1104

France   
Angry
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
Dear all,
Last year we started a topic about zinkpest, the Märklin kof model 36805. I was one of the first one to realize that the kof was starting to break in pieces due this problem, and I posted a topic on a spanish forum. At the end I sent the model to Marklin and a new one returned.
Now I have bad news again, another model has started to show zinkpest problems, it is my SBB De 6/6 37521. I have more than 160 locomotives and of course I do not run all of them every day, yesterday I took out the model and it came out of the box in two pieces [:(][B)].
My first impression was that something was loose, but then I realized that the main frame was broken (the frame has two extension tabs to drive the weels on each side, one of the tabs just broke due the zinkpest). A better look on daylight shows the tipical cracks and deformed metal of the main frame, the body shows no signal of zinkpest, just the frame.
for a better look of the part, see this:
http://www.maerklin.com/...s.html?sArtNumber=37521#
the frame is the part 35 and the broken part is were the screw 41 goes.
I will show some photos soon.
I remember that at the end of the discussion of the kof I said that now I was concerned about other models with the problem, "I just hope that my Goliath crane and some other very expensive model do not start to show this to"
This model was not made in china, but it comes almost from the same year the kof is 2001-2002 and it was a not cheap as the kof.
If you have this model please review it, specially the frame.
I am going to send the model to Marklin as I did with the kof, I hope it will return some day, since I live in Venezuela the travel will be long.
Regards
Eduardo Palacios
Venezuela

I have had exactly the same problem of a broken chassis with my brown 37521. My dealer has been trying for more than a year to get the replacement parts from the Marklin after sales service. - without any success. I am getting angry at Marklin. If they have such a general problem, why not accept to replace the defectuve locs? This is a general practice in the modern industry such as automobile.
Regards
Papy1104
November 2014

Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#96 Posted : 21 November 2014 05:12:19(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Papy1104 Go to Quoted Post
Angry
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
Dear all,
Last year we started a topic about zinkpest, the Märklin kof model 36805. I was one of the first one to realize that the kof was starting to break in pieces due this problem, and I posted a topic on a spanish forum. At the end I sent the model to Marklin and a new one returned.
Now I have bad news again, another model has started to show zinkpest problems, it is my SBB De 6/6 37521. I have more than 160 locomotives and of course I do not run all of them every day, yesterday I took out the model and it came out of the box in two pieces [:(][B)].
My first impression was that something was loose, but then I realized that the main frame was broken (the frame has two extension tabs to drive the weels on each side, one of the tabs just broke due the zinkpest). A better look on daylight shows the tipical cracks and deformed metal of the main frame, the body shows no signal of zinkpest, just the frame.
for a better look of the part, see this:
http://www.maerklin.com/...s.html?sArtNumber=37521#
the frame is the part 35 and the broken part is were the screw 41 goes.
I will show some photos soon.
I remember that at the end of the discussion of the kof I said that now I was concerned about other models with the problem, "I just hope that my Goliath crane and some other very expensive model do not start to show this to"
This model was not made in china, but it comes almost from the same year the kof is 2001-2002 and it was a not cheap as the kof.
If you have this model please review it, specially the frame.
I am going to send the model to Marklin as I did with the kof, I hope it will return some day, since I live in Venezuela the travel will be long.
Regards
Eduardo Palacios
Venezuela

I have had exactly the same problem of a broken chassis with my brown 37521. My dealer has been trying for more than a year to get the replacement parts from the Marklin after sales service. - without any success. I am getting angry at Marklin. If they have such a general problem, why not accept to replace the defectuve locs? This is a general practice in the modern industry such as automobile.
Regards
Papy1104
November 2014

You have to keep in mind you are talking of something made more than ten years ago. You very rarely find products with a life time warranty and when they do they say that, it is clarified, they are covered for the lifetime of the product, which I read as: "until it breaks'. I have, I think the third seetal that was released probably from 2003 or 4, until last year it was perfect. In my view the company should replace these faulty castings but there should also be a time limit otherwise I would be sending back any 800 series with zinc pest too.
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#97 Posted : 21 November 2014 10:01:13(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post

Edit: There is currently new frames E321289 available and the price is 15,00 euro. So that is cheap, but the assembly of this loco may be tricky and probably best to have Märkin Service to do it.

Best regards,
Janne

Hi Janne, all,

A few years back, I have fully replaced a Seetal-croc's frame. It is not easy, but with some fiddling and fine soldering work (to re-hook up the lighting), it worked out perfectly fine. Takes a few hours, but is not overly hard as it is generally possible to deduce how it should be assembled based on the original situation with the broken frame.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sander van Wijk
Offline Brakeman  
#98 Posted : 21 November 2014 13:03:46(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hello,
just linkig this to my zincpest case to keep members aware of the quality problems.

Warping American Boxcars

Regards,
Juha

Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure, but I may have a couple of boxcars from the US 45651 box car set that have this problem. I had noticed a shorting out when a bunch of cars were pulled behind my Big Boy. I eventually isolated the problem to cars from this set. The couplers were very stiff and would not move side to side freely. They were literally pulling the car off the track in curves causing the short. And one of the box car bodies was broken under the sliding door. In trying to take one of them apart, the chassis pieces starting snapping off. And it was obvious that the chassis plate was warped. I thought it might have been me but now I see I had better start asking questions of Marklin USA.

Robert

Offline H0  
#99 Posted : 22 November 2014 07:34:34(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
You have to keep in mind you are talking of something made more than ten years ago.
Yes. But IMHO we have to ask two questions: "Is it something the customer must expect?" "Is it something the manufacturer should be ashamed for?"
MRR articles made this century that self-destruct within 10 years are nothing a company can be proud of. Series 800 articles are a different matter.

And between everything and nothing, there are a few other options: spare parts or repairs at reduced rates for zincpest victims.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#100 Posted : 23 February 2015 21:36:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!
A new case of warping Märklin freight cars was reported on Stummi's Forum: Märklin 48450. So for a change we now see warping models of German freight cars.
Picture here:
http://www.stummiforum.d...c.php?p=1353924#p1353924

More cars I will have to inspect twice a year hoping to see the warping before the plastics break. Actually I hope I will never see them warping.

What's next?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0