Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hippietim  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2014 23:06:02(UTC)
hippietim

United States   
What do folks use these days for price guidelines? Ebay is an obvious source but I know that not everything is on Ebay. Are there any good price archives available? Used dealers? Etc.

I've been out of the buying/selling/trading market for a long time. As I mentioned in my intro message, I am primarily interested in selling a substantial portion of my collection. I'm not looking to squeeze every last nickel I can get - I just want to get a reasonable amount for my stuff. I will begin the catalog and photo process within the next couple weeks which should give me time to order a price guide if necessary. I know folks used to use Koll's but I'm not sure how relevant that is in the US market with the Internet out there.

Thanks in advance for any tips and info!
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2014 06:42:14(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: hippietim Go to Quoted Post
What do folks use these days for price guidelines? Ebay is an obvious source but I know that not everything is on Ebay. Are there any good price archives available? Used dealers? Etc.

I've been out of the buying/selling/trading market for a long time. As I mentioned in my intro message, I am primarily interested in selling a substantial portion of my collection. I'm not looking to squeeze every last nickel I can get - I just want to get a reasonable amount for my stuff. I will begin the catalog and photo process within the next couple weeks which should give me time to order a price guide if necessary. I know folks used to use Koll's but I'm not sure how relevant that is in the US market with the Internet out there.

Check Sofort Kaufen (buy direct) prices on the German(!) Ebay site,that is ebay.de,type in the world Marklin and the productnumber,opt for Sofort Kaufen and you get an idea of going prices.
I recently sold part of my collection to a professional train seller in Holland,he gave me a proper price but also told me that purchasing is not the same as selling,which i do understand.
Some people on internet think they can ask the world for socalled collector items,whereas in real life there is no demand for these items.
If trains have been played with resulting in visible damages,prices will drop dramatically.
Just give us some locomotive productnumbers and we will be able to guide you.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Tiki734  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2014 13:37:25(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Hi
It really depends on the what you have. There are some new gear on ebay site and you might have paid several hundred dollars and it may be worth half that. If you have older model and they are boxed they may be worth more but generally only the very good condition and rare model hold their value. Over 20 years ago I could only dream of seeing a particular item and I even travelled to Munich once for an auction and bought fairly common stuff and was I tickled pink. Now you can get whatever you want whenever you want. The real challenge is getting something unusual or rare for a realistic price or sometimes a bargain. The market has been completely opened up. I bought a R800 and 8 other wagons for US$45 the other day. Granted the R800 is spare parts but it's a start. As NS1200 says add the numbers and we can give you a potential value. It may be that someone close to you will give you an offer. Post some photos as well because condition is important.
Roger
Offline mrmarklin  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2014 23:07:34(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Koll's is the basic price guide for Marklin. For modern items new or like new condition is assumed in original boxes. Less than this one can assume a dramatic fall off in value.

In my experience with German eBay and also going to European swapmeets over the years, Koll's guide is very vague. Items that one would think are relatively common are hard to find, and vice versa! Selling at auction is of course, the only true measure. And eBay is the best for that.

If you want to sell your collection in bulk, about half Koll's price is what to expect, because the other person will then have to "retail" the items.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline geoff.allen.35  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2014 23:02:49(UTC)
geoff.allen.35

This is great info...I am selling my father's collection which includes Marklin, Rivarosi, Rocko, Hornby and others...and I am determining whether ebay or ecommerce is going to be the best way to sell...I too am not looking for top dollar as much as a continual process to move through hios extensive inventory.

G
Offline Mark_1602  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2014 23:21:55(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: geoff.allen.35 Go to Quoted Post
This is great info...I am selling my father's collection which includes Marklin, Rivarosi, Rocko, Hornby and others...and I am determining whether ebay or ecommerce is going to be the best way to sell...I too am not looking for top dollar as much as a continual process to move through hios extensive inventory.

G

Hi,

Sell the stuff now, because if there is another economic recession in future, prices will collapse. My second tip would be to think twice before you accept Paypal when you sell items on Ebay. Terms and conditions at Paypal have been changed recently, and buyers now have 180 days to open a case, not 45 as previously. This means that a if a buyer breaks an item he bought from you, he can make a claim to get his money back, even months after buying it. I've sold a lot of stuff on Ebay.de and I've never had this problem, but I won't accept Paypal any longer in future.

If you give buyers a small discount on the cost of postage, you'll probably get higher bids. I've done that on Ebay.de, and it really works, especially with German buyers. Showing 10 or 12 XXL photos of the item you're selling also helps.

Best regards, Mark

Here's the link (section 13):

Paypal Terms & Conditions
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline gnorfen  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2015 14:17:59(UTC)
gnorfen

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

Check Sofort Kaufen (buy direct) prices on the German(!) Ebay site,that is ebay.de,type in the world Marklin and the productnumber,opt for Sofort Kaufen and you get an idea of going prices.
I recently sold part of my collection to a professional train seller in Holland,he gave me a proper price but also told me that purchasing is not the same as selling,which i do understand.
Some people on internet think they can ask the world for socalled collector items,whereas in real life there is no demand for these items.
If trains have been played with resulting in visible damages,prices will drop dramatically.
Just give us some locomotive productnumbers and we will be able to guide you.

Personally I would not look for sofort-kaufen as these are in my mind often hugely inflated.
I rather look at ebay.de and erweiterte suche and then beendete angebote, you can look for certain numbers and if there are any sales recently they show up. I find it interesting to look at 800 first at Modelleisenbahnen spur HO, get all the Active auctions and then go to erweiterte suche and beendete angebote. That I do even if I do not buy or sell anything. You can get a feeling here for the prizes. However I find that Koll should be taken only as a guide, but one thing seems to sometimes go over Koll, old items, with prüfplakette and unused in box. As most of a collectors items seldom are 100% the result are often lower than Koll especially for bulk auctions. Used examples with much scratches I seldom use Koll at all as the collectors will not buy it, rather prize the value for a buyer that would drive with it. These used items often without boxes, you can easily look for the more common items rather easily, f.e. large steam locomotives, with cracked steps on the tender.
With fantasy you can vary your search criteria to suit your interests.

As you indicate about relevance of Koll in USA, the prizes in Germany tends to be higher for collectors items in my mind than several countries bordering to Germany. However your problem is that you sell outside EU which narrows your custom base a lot. Customs, difficulty with payments or at least costly, in Germany Banktransfers are standard not PayPal with must be taken into consideration, well many accepts paypal but that detracts from your prize etc.
One thing about Koll is that the negative trend f.e. on several items of the 60's and later has showed up even in Koll so if you have an old catalogue I recommend that you buy a new. I used an old from 2005 always thinking that the Changes are relatively small, but many newer items were very different in 2014, sometimes markedly lower. Buy the compact cat - it is cheap.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gnorfen