Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pederbc  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2014 08:57:53(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

I'm using an ESU loksound decoder have a need for more outputs. Is it possible to add a lokpilot fx decoder to the same lok and program them while they're using the same address? I can of course program them separately but if the address is changed then I assume both decoders will receive the same address. Anyone with experience on this topic?

Best regards/Peder
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2014 09:55:29(UTC)
H0

Hi, Peder,

Program the decoders separately, use disjunct function keys, use the same address.

Changing the address should then be no problem as both decoders should receive the same new address.

IIRC there is an extension board available from ESU that gives you more function outputs with just one decoder.

Update: ESU 51970 for use with V4 decoders with 21MTC interface.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2014 13:51:01(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Thanks Tom,

I suppose I have to do it the "hard" way, like you describe. But it would be nice if there was a way to program them independently even if they share the same address. But maybe it's not necessary to have to reprogram it :-)

Thanks /Peder
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2014 14:11:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Are you going to use MFX? DCC? MM?

These questions matter. With MFX, you can not use the same address since the controller defines the address and it will purposely assign a unique address to each decoder. With MFX, you must use the consist function to "pair" the decoders to a certain loko.

With DCC you can use the same address. If you use Railcom+, then just disable Railcom in one of the decoders. DCC would probably be best since it offers the most functions per address. MFX-16, DCC-22. If you use duplicate addresses, then you will need to watch function mapping. With DCC, you have 22 functions, but your controller will transmit to both decoders. Using two decoders at the same address still yields 22 functions, not 44. A function mapped to an output (output F1,F2 etc.) will turn on the function in both decoders. This may be desirable for some outputs and not others.

The ESU board 51970 Tom suggests will provide outputs for F5-F8. This by itself or also with another decoder will probably do what you need.

How many outputs are you looking for?

Edit: Using ESU 51968 will provide amplified outputs for F3 and F4. That with 51970 and your ESU MTC21 decoder will provide 8 (F1-F8) amplified outputs at one decoder.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2014 14:58:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Tom,

I suppose I have to do it the "hard" way, like you describe. But it would be nice if there was a way to program them independently even if they share the same address. But maybe it's not necessary to have to reprogram it :-)

Thanks /Peder

There is a way to program them independently. IIRC you said you are using ESU Loksound and Lokpilot decoders, which use NMRA CVs. There is one CV which is specified to be a 'lock' CV specifically for this purpose, originally designed for using a non-sound decoder with a separate sound module.

The CV needs to be 0 to allow the loco to be programmed. Putting any non-zero value into the CV locks that decoder from being programmed using normal programming instructions.

When you want to have multiple decoders at the same address you program the first decoder to set up all the CVs, and then program a value into the lock CV. Now the second decoder is fitted and programmed and a DIFFERENT value is loaded into the lock CV. If you now want to program one of the decoders there is a sequence whereby you try and program the lock CV with the number that is in this CV of the decoder that you wish to program. That will reset the lock CV of the decoder that has that value in the lock CV, allowing other CVs on that decoder to be programmed, but will leave the other decoder alone.

I haven't tried this at all, I am just aware of the capability that the NMRA designed in when sound modules were add-ons and sound decoders were almost non-existant.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan