Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline black_pete  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2014 12:50:37(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
Hi all

I'm not sure whether somehow I've missed this on here but it seems that Marklin is about to release Central Station on a PC environment.

Apparently Windows, Linux, or MAC computers will all be supported and it seems that the computer assumes the CS functionality while the controller manages the signal processing and power supply. A LAN connection will link the PC and the Central Station. The benefits will obviously be larger and more flexible displays with multiple simultaneous control window options.

Now personally this is what I believe the Marklin Digital System should have been in the very first place - standard off-the-shelf technology integrated into a control system package by providing just the missing link(s) ... software, signal / power interface box, dedicated controls and onboard electronics. In essence don't keep reinventing but innovate instead ... it's cheaper and more flexible in the long run !!!

In the case of starter sets the existing handheld controller concept coupled with a low end interface box could still provide a initial level entry option with some expansion capability.

I've got my fingers crossed that I can soon run my system using a cheap PC with (say) three large displays ... hell I'll even upgrade to a new CS just to do that although I believe the signal / power interface box should just be a simple "black box" type connection device BigGrin

Just as well Christmas is coming LOL
Regards
Pete

expat Kiwi - now living in Melbourne

SBB Era IV & V - Digital - CS1 - C Track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by black_pete
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2014 16:41:22(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I am not sure what you are saying about the start sets? Isn't the mobile station and railbox a "low end interface box"? Or do you want it to be computer-control enabled? I think this will come later.

Anyway: I still think a simple handheld device (e.g. Mobile Station) should be included with a start set. I do not like the fact that you need a tablet or smartphone of a particular brands (Apple, Google) to use your newly aquired (and expensive) starter set.

That being said, I am looking forward see what the CS on PC is all about.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2014 16:42:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, Pete!
Originally Posted by: black_pete Go to Quoted Post
Apparently Windows, Linux, or MAC computers will all be supported [...]
I only know what they wrote in the Fall New Items brochure.
There they just write "PC" without further information which PC OSs will be supported.

Do you have more information?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2014 23:18:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I cannot understand what the hype is about,

You have been able to control the CS2, CS1, 602x with PC software well before now.

If you are really that intent on simply duplicating the CS2 screen onto a PC Screen then Marklin have provided all the images and definition files for you to do so.
Peter
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2014 23:22:20(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Personally, I find it interesting that I can use a PC as an extra screen for the CS - without having to setup additional software. I can setup everything in the CS and then leave it at that. I could buy a touch screen monitor and have a fairly sized control panel. That is about it.

...at least, the above is what I hope to be able to achieve. No one knows what will eventually be possible. I do not expect to be able to do all sorts of stuff that the CS cannot do at the moment.
Søren from Denmark
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2014 04:30:12(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I think that i bought the CS2 exactly the right moment.ThumpUp
Offline black_pete  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2014 09:35:30(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
O/k all good points being raised ...

Here's the direct release text from Marklin (note: this is associated with the Central Station version 3.8 release)

Central Station Now Also on a PC

The software to allow you to integrate a computer as an additional control device into the entire system is also appearing parallel to this update for the Central Station. Windows, Linux, or MAC computers are supported for this purpose.

The computer assumes the functionality of a Central Station without possessing an output part to supply power to the layout.

The following points are worth mentioning in connection with using a computer as a Central Station:

1. The arrangement of the screen on the Central Station is designed for the size of this screen. A still larger representation surface is available on an appropriate computer screen. The arrangement of the screen for the Central Station is scalable. More elements can therefore be shown simultaneously on a computer's screen than on the Central Station.

2. Several windows can be opened on a PC. This means that with an appropriate screen size more screen arrangements, locomotive controller, or accessory controllers can be displayed at the same time.

3. This program can also be used for purposes of practice without a layout connected to the computer. This is a good help for becoming familiar with the various ways to operate things on the Central Station.

4.Tip: A PC can be an easy-to-use alternative to the Central Station for setting up particular elements (Example: Descriptions for solenoid accessories in the Keyboard).

The LAN connection is used to link a PC with the Central Station. This connection is part of the standard connections on today's computers. If a PC is connected directly to a Central Station by means of a cable, then this cable must be a crossover cable. If both devices are integrated into an existing network, than normal LAN cables are used between the Central Station and the network's hub and between the PC and the hub. These LAN cables are normally sold in computer specialty stores. For that reason, they are not being offered by Märklin.

Personally I still see this as a valuable and worthwhile extension ... computers and high resolution large format displays are as cheap as chips these days and this software looks like it will provide a simple turnkey integration option.

I wait the availability of extended information and pricing with great interest.
Regards
Pete

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by black_pete
Offline black_pete  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2014 12:18:40(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
Just noticed in passing that the RJFtrains Home Page has a teaser shot of a PC Monitor packed full of CS2 display windows.

Must be happening soon ... BigGrin
Regards
Pete

Offline sjlauritsen  
#9 Posted : 03 November 2014 13:55:55(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
That picture is just the one from the new items brochure. Nothing new there.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
H0
Offline black_pete  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2014 13:56:18(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
That picture is just the one from the new items brochure. Nothing new there.

Thanks for the comment Søren

I found it in the Fall New Items for 2014 brochure which arrived in my Insider package yesterday !!!

Unfortunately other than the comment ... Soon available for the computer at home! ... there isn't any other real additional information and no item number yet.

I do like the idea of having a large visual display capability and I guess with Windows, multi-screens will be also be possible BigGrin

I guess I'll just have to wait faster Blushing

Regards
Pete