Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Membership in a Märklin Customer Club (Märklin Insider, Trix, LGB)?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 78 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2014 08:22:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!

A poll to find out how many Märklin customer club members use this forum.
Memberships in Märklin Insider Club, Trix Club, and LGB club are treated the same in this poll.

BTW: This is a poll, so vote in the poll at the top of the page. That's the only way to get counted.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2014 08:37:30(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Tom, Im one Cool Cool Cool Eddie
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2014 08:41:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good topic, Tom.

I was a member of the Marklin Club of the UK, when it was run by W&H models in London. This was a predecessor of the Insider club, and when it was shut down I was asked to change my membership to the Insider club run from Germany. I never did this for several reasons, the main one at the time being that the cost went through the roof.

Every year I think about joining the Insider club, but the benefits seem to be rather ethereal. I have some of the Insider models produced over the years, without having to be a member. You can find most of them on ebay.

I'll think about it again for next year.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2014 08:50:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
my membership when went back a few years and it piled up or taken most of the room in our spare bedroom wardrobe and for the last 12 month have tried to sell them but because what I've got left is the Märklin Magazin its all in German and there isn't a great demand for it here in Australia and to send them overseas its not worth it, the postage is too high.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline lglarsson  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2014 09:26:38(UTC)
lglarsson

Sweden   
Hi all
I don't intend to apply for any membership. The cost is to high. I can buy everything that I want connected to the membership at my german dealer such as Insider models and magazins without having a membership.
Regards
LG
Märklin collector/K-track, permanent layout since 1985/60214 CS2, CS3+, 60174 Boosters/WinDigipet, WinTrack, Collection/
Offline JKJ  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2014 09:29:52(UTC)
JKJ

Norway   
I have been a Märklin Insider member for 4 years, and I am planning to continue in the future.

Brg
John Kristian
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2014 09:58:44(UTC)
H0

This is a poll, so vote in the poll at the top of the page. That's the only way to get counted.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2014 10:28:14(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Tom,

For a couple of years long time ago I was but I am not a member now.

I imagine for most of the reasons others have given.

However.......whatever turns you on!!

Regards,

PJ
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2014 11:29:56(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Tom,

Perhaps "Never was a member, but THINKING about joining" as well or instead of "Never was a member, but joining soon".

That's the one I went with but wether its "soon" or in a year or 2 who knows. Just a thought.

Guess for me its a case of not wanting to join until we move sometime hopefully in the next 12 months plus timing it right to get the full years benefits.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2014 11:43:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
timing it right to get the full years benefits.
You get the benefits for 12 months. Your membership can start in April or in September or whenever and you will get the benefits for 12 months after that date.

I joined in March - and my membership started in September. Maybe they are quicker nowadays.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Renato  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2014 12:30:56(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi,

I am a Märklin Insider Club member and I think I will continue my membership in the future.

Cheers

Renato
Offline Andrey  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2014 14:08:25(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
I voted "...joinning soon" since applied for my membership few days ago.

Regards, Andrey
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 20 August 2014 14:28:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have member of insider club since 2004.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline michelvr  
#14 Posted : 20 August 2014 15:02:02(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello,

I've been a member for two years now.

Michel
Offline sjlauritsen  
#15 Posted : 20 August 2014 16:15:55(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I've been a member of the Trix Club since 2008. I like reading the club materials sent to me.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline seatrains  
#16 Posted : 20 August 2014 16:38:44(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
I was both an insider and LGB club member (before Marklin). BigGrin I am now an outsider for both. I will say that the LGB magazine was way better than the Marklin Magazine (English version) IMHO. What has always puzzled me was why the English language version of Marklin Magazine was not better, as English is a second language to many people worldwide?Wink
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 20 August 2014 18:24:41(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I'm on!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline foumaro  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2014 21:50:10(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I was a member but now I am not.I cannot find any reason to be.
Offline Yumgui  
#19 Posted : 20 August 2014 22:33:05(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
"Never was a member and keep it that way" ^^

Never could understand why being an Insider was better ... exclusivity never solved much IMHO,

... and have always enjoyed my Outsider status, to boot.

I remain free that way; free to Märklin's finest items (truly appreciated) and also open to all other good stuff from other brands over the years as well !

Y Cool
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Yumgui  
#20 Posted : 20 August 2014 22:44:55(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Ahem,

As I'm a lazy fart in general (yeah) ...

Since when was the Insider program initiated ?

Prior to 1988 I lost all track ...

Thanks for the info ... :)

Y Confused

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 20 August 2014 22:55:14(UTC)
H0

I think last year they celebrated 20 years of Märklin Insider Club. Established 1993?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Nigel Packer  
#22 Posted : 20 August 2014 23:30:21(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

I was a member of the Marklin Club of the UK, when it was run by W&H models in London.

Yes, me too, joined in 1992. I have a membership letter from W&H dated October 1992, which came with the first and second editions of the TELEX magazine to be printed in English.

This all predated the Insider club, but I have been a member of that since it started too!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 22 August 2014 09:41:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's encouraging to see how many members of this forum are Insiders, if we believe the poll results are truly representative. Maybe there's more to being an Insider than I thought?....

It's possible I may change to the last option in the poll "I was a member, left, but will join again".
Ray
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 22 August 2014 10:29:46(UTC)
H0

Both here and on Stummi's Forum the Club members seem to be over-represented (or at least more active with respect to fora and polls).
http://stummiforum.de/vi...ic.php?f=31&t=112134

Here are the results from Stummi's Forum:
I am and will stay a member 52% 52% [ 111 ]
I am a member but I'm leaving soon 6% 6% [ 13 ]
I was a member, but I left 15% 15% [ 32 ]
Never was a member and keep it that way 24% 24% [ 51 ]
Never was a member, but joining soon 1% 1% [ 3 ]
I was a member, left, but will join again 1% 1% [ 2 ]
Total : 212

Maybe there's more to being an Insider than I thought?....
There isn't much more than they promise.

Everybody has to decide whether a club membership is good value for the money.

After 7 years in the Club I changed my mind and waved good-bye. There's not much I'll be missing.

Edited by user 23 August 2014 12:24:59(UTC)  | Reason: ♥♥♥ Added results from Stummi's Forum ♥♥♥

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#25 Posted : 22 August 2014 10:41:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Both here and on Stummi's Forum the Club members seem to be over-represented (or at least more active with respect to fora and polls).

After 7 years in the Club I changed my mind and waved good-bye. There's not much I'll be missing.

When I left the UK Marklin club I mostly missed the magazines. They were printed 6 times a year and were full of interesting articles about Marklin trains and the prototypes. Those were the days when the internet did not exist (at least for me), and the only way to find out about trains was the printed word.

I have subscribed to different model railway magazines over the years, but none has represented Marklin particularly well.

Can you still subscribe to Marklin Magazine without the Insider membership? Is that better value?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
H0
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 22 August 2014 16:14:27(UTC)
H0

Can you still subscribe to Marklin Magazine without the Insider membership?
Yes, at least in Germany. You can also buy it without subscription after checking the table of contents.

Is that better value?
I think the Märklin Magazine isn't worth the money. Club membership without MM at a reduced fee would be an idea for me.
Others like the Märklin Magazine. Yet another thing that every person has to evaluate personally.

Recently there was a discussion about the Märklin Magazine on Stummi's Forum and many wrote that is was not as good as it was years ago.
They have interesting articles (with good prototype information or good tips about building a layout), they have boring articles (prototype articles that only mention locos that are available as Märklin models, product presentations with photoshopped images). For me the S/N ratio is pretty low while others still find it interesting.
Don't expect neutral reviews, don't expect critical words - Märklin Magazine is Märklin advertising.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 22 August 2014 18:52:32(UTC)
Goofy

When i was member,i didn´t like what Märklin did present news and information.
It was not big deal from Märklin.
Same about with insider model...next year Märklin produce similar as insider model as standard for the Märklinist. ThumbDown
Magazin from Märklin was not so much to enjoy reading.
I prefer Miba,Eisenbahn kurier etc...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
H0
Offline Renato  
#28 Posted : 22 August 2014 20:15:48(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I prefer Miba,Eisenbahn kurier etc...

Hi Anders,

Unfortunately they are only issued in German, aren't they?

As I do not read and understand German, but English I do, I am and will be a Märklin Insider Club member.

Cheers

Renato

Offline Andrey  
#29 Posted : 22 August 2014 20:20:41(UTC)
Andrey

Russian Federation   
After sending to Maerklin filled application form they say they need some time to verify data.
What do they verify? Personal data, bank account or credit card info?
Is it possible that Maerklin forbids Club membership, explaining the reason or without it?
Offline kimballthurlow  
#30 Posted : 22 August 2014 23:29:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
It's encouraging to see how many members of this forum are Insiders, if we believe the poll results are truly representative. Maybe there's more to being an Insider than I thought?....

It's possible I may change to the last option in the poll "I was a member, left, but will join again".

Hi Ray,
From a statistical sampling point of view, we have 67 respondents out of 3500 M-user net members.
That may be representative of "active" members who are likely to participate in a poll.

I am an Insider member, and I consider membership worthwhile.
However, everyone has different tastes in what is likeable.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 23 August 2014 09:52:08(UTC)  | Reason: changed "it" to "membership" to improve the sense.

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline sjlauritsen  
#31 Posted : 23 August 2014 08:30:58(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

They have interesting articles (with good prototype information or good tips about building a layout), they have boring articles (prototype articles that only mention locos that are available as Märklin models, product presentations with photoshopped images). For me the S/N ratio is pretty low while others still find it interesting.

I receive the English MM as a member of the Trix Club. The MM replaced the Trix Magazine when that stopped.

On a trip to Germany I bought the #3-14 German MM for comparison. The German edition is 130 pages and the English is 59. Although that seems like a big difference, most of the articles are still published in the English edition. If I take a look at the #3 MM currently on my desk, the German MM contains some articles that is now in the #4 English MM (MS2 programming and the Nohab article). The building of the little starters layout is one article behind in the English MM, and some of the articles in that series are split over two magazines, where the German version is one longer part in the same magazine.

The German MM also contains service information not relevant to other than Germans, which is fine by me to leave out of the English version.

One article series that I truly miss in the English version is the "Märklin Freunde Berichten" (Friends of Märklin show and tell). This series takes you to see the layout of a fellow "Märklinist". This is very valuable information, and I cannot believe they left it out. Yes, I know, it is probably because of translation costs, but still, this is what the MM should be about: What can you build with the products.

I love the prototype articles, but I do not think the know-how articles evolve, they kind of tend to use the same ideas over and over again. I think the MM could be better if they tried to embrace the other Märklin-brands a bit more. I mean, would it hurt to build a 2-rail layout from time to time. Märklin has 2-rail C-track so it is not like they "break any marketing rules". The Trix articles in the MM is mostly just reduced to news stuff. I miss the Trix Magazine on this matter.

I like the positive tone the articles in MM have. People can think of me whatever they want, but I guess reading a model railway magazine, to me, should be like reading a fairytale or watching a "feel good movie". I do not need someone to completely bash a model in a review. I like the happy tone because it allows me to escape the everyday life and relax. I write the articles on my website in that same tone. I do not know how to describe it any better in English. If I want to read whining about a model, I read a model railway forum...

Don't expect neutral reviews, don't expect critical words - Märklin Magazine is Märklin advertising.

Would people expect that? I would never expect that. It is the same thing with the Modelleisenbahn Report and what have we. They would never write anything bad about a RoFl model - or write about a model from other manufacturers than RoFl.

I guess I kind of look at the MM as an extension of the information in the catalogues.  Although I also speak German, English comes easier to me and I do not need to concentrate while reading it. Would I subscribe to MM if Eisenbahn Kurier (my favorite German magazine) was available in English? Probably not.

My reasons for joining the Trix Club is mostly because of the other stuff I receive. The Club wagon, the Trix Club News and the free catalogues. I joined the Trix Club before MM, and I liked the Trix Magazine a lot.

Søren from Denmark
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
H0RayFShamu
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 23 August 2014 08:53:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
I do not need someone to completely bash a model in a review.
They don't do that in e.g. MIBA.
MIBA tells us that the new Märklin E 93 has a very nice and detailed metal body with improved details on the roof and new mountings of the pantographs.
They also tell us that the two truck frames should be different, that the roof details still have some Märklinisms and that Märklin still ignore the availability of nicer Sommerfeldt pantographs.
Valuable information for me when I have to make a purchase decision.

Ads in the magazines are very important for the magazines financially, so they write the reviews in a very positive tone, criticizing with soft words and sometimes even between the lines.

It surely depends on where you live and which MRR magazines are available there.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#33 Posted : 23 August 2014 09:23:32(UTC)
Goofy

I do not need someone to completely bash a model in a review.
They don't do that in e.g. MIBA.
MIBA tells us that the new Märklin E 93 has a very nice and detailed metal body with improved details on the roof and new mountings of the pantographs.
They also tell us that the two truck frames should be different, that the roof details still have some Märklinisms and that Märklin still ignore the availability of nicer Sommerfeldt pantographs.
Valuable information for me when I have to make a purchase decision.

Ads in the magazines are very important for the magazines financially, so they write the reviews in a very positive tone, criticizing with soft words and sometimes even between the lines.

It surely depends on where you live and which MRR magazines are available there.

Good point Tom!
Märklin confuse write negative about own insider model in the own magazin,while Miba or other write neutral about model.
That´s way i prefer to buy magazin,which are more honestly by present models with reviews.
Also to note about why i did stop as member of insider club...magazin from Märklin don´t give an good honestly report.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kimballthurlow  
#34 Posted : 23 August 2014 10:00:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

.... but I guess reading a model railway magazine, to me, should be like reading a fairytale or watching a "feel good movie". I do not need someone to completely bash a model in a review. I like the happy tone because it allows me to escape the everyday ......

Hi Søren,

I agree.
Marklin Magazine is advertising for Marklin, but it is a world away.
I ignore what annoys me, and accept stuff that is useful for my building and running trains on a layout.

Other magazines also annoy me in part, so I buy them only occasionally.
The only ones to which I subscribe are Marklin, and Australian Model Railway Magazine, because it is local.

The Insider Club also offers me original choice of new models, and one "free" (you know what I mean) wagon.
It works for me.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline xxup  
#35 Posted : 23 August 2014 10:04:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I am surprised how low the number is here. My guess is that here is around 20 Australian Insider members and I know of two Insider members, who do not access this forum.

I don't have access to the Stummi forum. How many of those members confessed to being Insiders? It would be interesting to understand the percentage of Insider users that actually participate in an online forum.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline sjlauritsen  
#36 Posted : 23 August 2014 10:05:03(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

Yes of course they do, that is kind of obvious. As I said, if other than MM was available in English I would probably subscribe. I just bought the current MIBA today because there is an article on the A.C.M.E class 245 compared to the PIKO class 245. That interests me because I am looking into a model of that class. Some of the Danish magazines can be quite mean in their choice of words and it is really annoying to read an article with a "tabloid" tone to it.

I read Model Railroader from time to time, I some time get the feeling that some of their articles are sponsored. They seem to be overly positive about some products. That annoys me when it is supposed to be a neutral magazine. It does not annoy me with MM because I would not expect it to be otherwise.

Søren from Denmark
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
xxupH0RayF
Offline steventrain  
#37 Posted : 23 August 2014 11:54:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

I was a member of the Marklin Club of the UK, when it was run by W&H models in London.

Yes, me too, joined in 1992. I have a membership letter from W&H dated October 1992, which came with the first and second editions of the TELEX magazine to be printed in English.

This all predated the Insider club, but I have been a member of that since it started too!

Best wishes,

Nigel

I also a member of Marklin club for two years in 1995/1996 with Gaugemaster. I have letter about the Insider brown crocodile 30159 in 1996 but I think price about £400?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 23 August 2014 12:23:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I don't have access to the Stummi forum.
I should have tested that.
Here are the results:
I am and will stay a member 52% 52% [ 111 ]
I am a member but I'm leaving soon 6% 6% [ 13 ]
I was a member, but I left 15% 15% [ 32 ]
Never was a member and keep it that way 24% 24% [ 51 ]
Never was a member, but joining soon 1% 1% [ 3 ]
I was a member, left, but will join again 1% 1% [ 2 ]
Total : 212
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#39 Posted : 23 August 2014 12:44:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
WOW! That is much lower that I expected to see from Stummi .. Actually, that is scary.. So there are 10s of thousands of people in Germany who are Insider members and do not participate in a forum.. I expected to see a number like 5,000 at least on Stummi..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Janne75  
#40 Posted : 24 August 2014 21:23:29(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I voted "Never was a member and keep it that way". I have never ever considered to join to some Insider club. If I want some Insider item I can buy it from eBay for much cheaper price. I think I would not join in even if it would be totally free as I don't see the point why I should be a member? So I will stay "Outsider forever" BigGrin . This forum is one of the best things anyway and I enjoy this a lot. Smile

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Redd  
#41 Posted : 05 November 2014 20:45:35(UTC)
Redd

The Marklin insider club followed the issue of "limited production" items, which was just a marketing ploy.
I always viewed the "Insider" club in much the same light. After all, how many Beer Cars lettered for the club can I use?
Herb
The scenery never changes if you're not the lead dog.
Offline GlennM  
#42 Posted : 07 November 2014 18:41:46(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
WOW! That is much lower that I expected to see from Stummi .. Actually, that is scary.. So there are 10s of thousands of people in Germany who are Insider members and do not participate in a forum.. I expected to see a number like 5,000 at least on Stummi..

IMHO, I believe that there are quite a lot of Marklin fans/users/collectors whom take no part in online Forums or Facebook.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM